2011 Volkswagen Tiguan lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Volkswagen Tiguan:

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 152016

On four separate occasions the car has lost power while in drive on city streets. First occasion April 23 2014 the coolant/water pump failed as did fuse. May 23 fuel pump failed and fuel pump panel. July 28 car died while driving due to faulty fuel injector. Yesterday Aug 15 2016 car again lost power while driving on city streets and had to be towed (fourth time with less than 50K miles) to dealer. I am awaiting diagnosis but no longer feel safe in the vehicle. Twice I was fortunate that police officers showed up and were able to push my car out of traffic and to safety but at this point I believe VW should take action to replace the car as it has clearly proven a safety hazard for myself and others on the road. Respectfully submitted, donna osborne.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Aug 122015

Driving down the highway when I realized both of my headlights were out. It was light when I left my house so I didn't notice, I had to drive without headlights. Just a little strange that all of a sudden both headlights go out at the exact same time. So I called to ask to bring my car in and the girl told me there are no recalls for this. I see recall 97Z9 for exterior lighting. She tells me I'll have to pay to fix it and if there is a recall in the future I can get a refund. Great customer service.

- Emerson, NJ, USA

Sep 242014

Tiguan 4-cyl

Headlight went out on a car with only 30,000 miles on car. Had to replace right high intensity discharge bulb with ballast at a cost of $305.36!!! I have heard there have been many complaints regarding headlights failing in 2011 VW Tiguans. Wanted to add my name to the list of complaints.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Dec 022013

Tiguan 4-cyl

We had a partial loss of exterior lighting on our 2011 VW Tiguan at roughly 61,000 miles. We lost passenger side headlight, rear driver side blinker, front passenger blinker, reverse lights, and tag lights. We tried to replace the bulbs but bulbs were fine. I also checked all fuses and all were ok none were blown. We then took the car to an import specialist since the car was no longer under warranty. They found a circuit under the fusebox that overheated and melted. They replaced the circuit and the lighting was restored, however they said that it would most likely happen again. The replaced circuit only lasted about three weeks and now we have lost the same exterior lighting as before. We contacted VW service and they said based on our VIN # there was no recall for our vehicle.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Dec 122012

Tiguan 6-cyl

Right side headlamp, turn signal, brake light inoperative. 30 amp fuse one blade burnt but fuse not blown. Fuse box melted around contact.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Dec 162013

During driving one headlight (left), third brake light, and front right turn signal gave a bulb out fault. Also, the bulbs went out simultaneously. After driving for 30 minutes and then restarting the car, the faults were gone and bulbs were functional. This repeated the next day with bulb out faults and non-functioning bulbs but then reset again after restarting.

- Culpeper, VA, USA

Nov 132012

In November my drivers headlight went out I replaced the bulb then it was working but 2 weeks later the passenger side goes out this time not only my headlight my turn signal also goes out from the front. Then I get pulled over because now I don't have a driver side back signal light. I replaced all of the bulbs and they still don't work. I don't have warranty on my vehicle. It has become a big problem for me not only that, its a hazard to be on the roads. I called the dealership and now I need to take my vehicle in, but this is the only vehicle I have to commute.

- Pharr, TX, USA

Dec 062013

Tiguan 4-cyl

A few days ago I got a warning on my car saying the front right turn signal needed to be checked. It wasn't an emergency situation since the rear and side mirror turn signals still functioned. I had also heard about the recall online, so I thought maybe it was just telling me I was part of the recall and would need to take it in soon. Last night, driving in the dark, I lost a headlight, fog light, and the 3rd brake light. It was decided to make the 4 hour trip to the nearest VW dealer this weekend to have it looked at. This morning on my way to work, I lost virtually all of the remaining exterior lighting. Luckily it was a bright morning, and work is not far. Because of the loss of two brake lights, and assuming I would lose the other one, I had VW tow my car today to the dealer to be repaired. This is my list of lights lost as of 12.6.13 8:00 am: Fr dipped beam, fr turn signal, fr main beam, fr fog light, fl side light, rl turn signal, rl brake light, rr side light, 3rd brake light, R reverse light, and license plate light. Fortunately I am still under warranty, so it will be repaired at no cost to me regardless of an official recall.

- Grand Junction, CO, USA

Nov 162013

Tiguan 4-cyl

Lights started randomly going off and would be left front low beam and right front high beam then no tail lights or turn signal, etc. But after a few mins they would come back on then go back off. It is gwttin worse and occurs more often now and I feel unsafe driving it at night.

- Binghamton, NY, USA

Dec 012013

Tiguan 4-cyl

Fuse box melting causing light system failure while driving at night. Faulty design/metal screw next to 30 amp fuse causing arc.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Sep 282013

Tiguan 4-cyl

While driving I received multiple alerts of bulb failures and headlights, turn signals, tail lights would intermittently fail. Cause was a fuse and socket in the fuse box that melted and had to be replaced. I checked the recently announced recall however my VIN was not included so I wanted to bring it to your attention.

- Lynnwood, WA, USA

Nov 012013

Tiguan 4-cyl

Passenger side headlight not lighting, the turn signal on the same side does not work and the rear drivers side tail light does not work.

- Commack, NY, USA

Nov 112013

Tiguan 4-cyl

Alert messages appeared on the information display stating that multiple exterior lights failed. I checked and there are approximately six exterior lights that are not working. My husband suggested that this might be a fuse. I did an internet search to see if I could determine if there had been a recall regarding this issue. I found articles on several reputable news sites stating that Volkswagen had issued a recall for 800,000 Tiguan models worldwide for lighting issues. When I called our local Volkswagen dealer, they were unaware of any recalls.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Nov 152013

My 2011 Tiguan is erroneously and intermittently reporting that lamps are out. I went to the auto repair shop, and was told that it was caused by a melted fuse box. I have been on a lot of forum online, and it seems to be a common finding among VW owners, more so Tiguan. I do not understand why vwofa has not looked into the issue as yet. My brake lights, my tail lights, my headlights are all out. The idea that a fuse box could be melting under the hood is quite disturbing. VW should look into the matter as soon as possible, because that 3/36K miles warranty that would possibly cover it, does not cut it, considering that this issue usually happens around 40K miles.

- Valley Stream, NY, USA

Oct 142013

Tiguan 4-cyl

The fuse box in the engine compartment melted. This caused my front-right headlight, rear-left brake and turn signal light, and middle brake light to stop working. My car is all stock and I've done nothing to cause it to exert excess electrical power. I am reporting this because it seems to be a very common problem with VW and is an obvious design flaw.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Nov 082013

Tiguan 4-cyl

My bought new 2011 Tiguan SE lights were going out-!front head light, fog lights, turn signals, license plate due what VW said was a melted fuse box. Also my car would stale at low mph in the winter time since I purchased it Feb 2011( VW service response when I initially called " it could be due to cold weatherb" where ( Michigan February) knowing we have cold winters why would they sell these cars in this climate ?! said it could be due to one problem which they fixed and now it's cuz the melted fuse box).

- Clinton Township , MI, USA

Oct 022013

Tiguan 4-cyl

2011 VW Tiguan - lights (headlights, brake lights, signals) all randomly turn off for varying periods of time. The warning indicator in the cabin of the car indicates a light is out. Research indicated possible engine compartment fuse box issue, further investigation confirmed this. A fuse in the engine fuse box appears faulty and has begun melting the fuse box itself. It appears there are numerous Tiguans manufactured between 2009 and 2011 which are affected by this issue. I am currently placing myself and others at risk on the road. I will seek to get the issue resolved but would like VW of America and other drivers to know about the problem before it poses more of a safety concern, or an injury.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Nov 152013

Tiguan 4-cyl

While driving... multiple exterior lights (brakelights. Headlights, high beams, fog lights, and turn signals) failed... would not fix itself after shutting off car and restarting. Brought to dealership for inspection and was notified it was a melted fusebox.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 172013

After driving three hours I stopped to get fuel. When I started the car to leave the gas station I saw and heard the directional flasher speed up. I turned off the directional once I exited the station. I then signaled to turn right and the flasher increased flashing speed after 5 seconds. I then received numerous different bulb out messages on the multi function display. I got out and looked and found the right front headlight out as well as numerous amber and red lights on the right side of the car. The directional on the mirror assembly is working then when I parked the car it showed the rear left tail light is out. I confirmed this light is out now. This was night driving and this vehicle had a major electrical failure causing multiple lights including head lamps to be out while driving on the interstate. The vehicle will be scheduled to be serviced and diagnosed shortly at a VW dealer.

- Henniker, NH, USA

Jul 312013

Tiguan 4-cyl

I was at work while my car was parked in the lower level of a parking garage. When I came out to leave for home, I started the car and it immediately indicated via center mfd display that all exterior lights need to be checked. Left low beam, right low beam, left turn signal, right turn signal, etc. I called the dealer and they could not see me until 5 days later. The next day, however, the lights were back on. I made the appointment for 5 days later and the dealer, under warranty, replaced a melted fuse and fuse block under the hood. I asked if they corrected root cause and they said, "no! we just replaced the bad parts."

- Louisville, KY, USA