CarComplaints.com Notes: VW gave the Tiguan a facelift with new headlights, a fancier grille, and improved performance. Unfortunately they didn't address what gave most 2010 owners headaches --- engine problems.

2.7

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Volkswagen Tiguan:

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan Owner Comments

Jun 082016

Tiguan

The sunroof of my 2011 VW Tiguan exploded for no apparent reason. It was a hot houston afternoon. I was on a houston freeway at about 60mph, and heard a very loud explosion followed by wind sound and sound of glass pieces flying on the top of the car. Luckily the fabric shade was closed which kept some glass pieces from falling in the car. I was certain that nothing had hit the car.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 282015

Tiguan

At 67K miles, our 2011 VW Tiguan suddenly wouldn't start. We'd had had no indication that anything was wrong, and our car had been well maintained. A VW mechanic said that the engine was probably shot. He told us it was a timing sequencing problem. With nearly $7,000 yet to pay off the car, we were not about to spend $8,500 on a rebuilt engine and service. I have read many complaints about the timing chain, plus documentation that there is a defective sprocket that was not properly hardened or heat treated, causing it to wear down & cause the timing chain to slip. I called vwgroup of America and someone said he'd contact the repair care mgt team, that they'd call the dealer, and that someone would call me back. After someone from VW spoke to the dealer, the mechanic suddenly knew that it was the sprocket and timing chain, and that only those & the cylinder head need to be replaced. Instead of $8,500, the repair would be about $4,000, and that VW had agreed to cover 65%. I returned a call from ken swantek and told him that I knew that VW'd had many complaints about this issue. His said: 1) you can't believe everything you read on the internet. 2) if VW had such complaints it didn'tt meet the standard for a recall. 3) I should have been reading VW's technical bulletins. 4) if VW receives enough complaints to meet the standard for a recall, only then would we be reimbursed for the remaining expenditure. I know VW has had numerous complaints about this and that VW consumers have received from 0%-100% reimbursement for the repairs.

- Shirley, MA, USA

Oct 022013

Tiguan 4-cyl

2011 VW Tiguan - lights (headlights, brake lights, signals) all randomly turn off for varying periods of time. The warning indicator in the cabin of the car indicates a light is out. Research indicated possible engine compartment fuse box issue, further investigation confirmed this. A fuse in the engine fuse box appears faulty and has begun melting the fuse box itself. It appears there are numerous Tiguans manufactured between 2009 and 2011 which are affected by this issue. I am currently placing myself and others at risk on the road. I will seek to get the issue resolved but would like VW of America and other drivers to know about the problem before it poses more of a safety concern, or an injury.

- Smyrna, GA, USA