2012 Volkswagen Tiguan steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan:

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan Owner Comments

Oct 262015

Mechanic report: After replacement of spiral spring yellow steering gear mechanical malfunction. Checked work previously performed. No problem found. Performed capasitor discharge. Dts still will not erase. Contacted tech line(vta# 1505839). Updated software of steering assist module. Still will not erase. Performed voltage drop test on wires. All ok. Per technical assistance from VW electromechanical steering needs to be replaced. Power steering problem did not occur until repairs done associated with NHTSA recall: 15V483

- Finksburg, MD, USA

Jun 112014

Tiguan 4-cyl

The car pulled twice to the left then seconds later I lost complete control to steer the car. Approximately 200+ feet of skid marks were left on the hwy. While waiting on a tow truck multiple emergency lights came on. The interior lights flickered multiple times. When the air bag light went off I decided it was time to get out of the car with my two children. The VW dealer said it was only the battery. I contacted VW corporate and was given a case number, was told to leave the vehicle at the dealer. The case dealer also insisted the car was fixed it was only the battery. I wanted to speak to her supervisor. I was told I would be reached by end of the next business day. When contacted I was once again told it was only the battery and the car was fixed and safe to drive. When my husband drove the vehicle a few blocks from the dealership he experienced the same hazards, two tugs to the left and then no ability to steer. The dealership came to get the vehicle. Found their is electrical damage to the steering. A part has been ordered and they are test driving the vehicle. Today has been two weeks I have not been contacted by VW in two days. The dealership and VW corporate ignored multiple concerns I have about the cars safety and put our lives in danger.

- Bentonville, AR, USA

Feb 032014

The car engine and power has shut down 5 times while driving. Four times on side streets as well as once on the highway. When this occurs the car must be placed into park to restart vehicle. The car looses all power except radio stays on. Highway incident the brakes had to be pumped. We have taken the car into the dealership to be fixed each time it has happened. First time we were told a computer update was needed. Second time the wiring harness and this third time the fuel pump. There are times it happened before we were able to get the car into the dealership. Second time it happened right after I pulled out of the dealership.

- Orem, UT, USA

Jun 042013

Tiguan 4-cyl

Came to a stop, turned car off, decided to move it up a bit. No power steering, solid red warning light. Turned car off, tried again, same result, no power steering, solid light. Turned car off, waiting 30 seconds, restarted power steering back, no light. Very concerned that I am in effect, rebooting the system to get my electro power steering back..what if I were driving at the time" what if it were my wife"

- Williamsburg, VA, USA