2013 Volkswagen Tiguan drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Volkswagen Tiguan:

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan Owner Comments

Jul 062015

When driving vehicle it will get up to 40 speed and not above and stall out to 0 mph. The vehicle will not move and stall for duration of time, then it will driving at a low speed under 10-20mph. At the time of purchase, I made it known to the brandon Volkswagen dealership, fidelity bank and Volkswagen America. I had two warranties and the problem were told me in 2012 and 2013, by brandon Volkswagen the problem were resolved. In July 2015 through August 2015 the brandon Volkswagen informed that a part does not existed to correct my problems for several recalls. The vehicle was non-operable on a major highway 301hwy.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Oct 282013

Tiguan 6-cyl

My first issue with a check engine light came on 1 month into my 3+ year lease with under 1,000 miles on the car. I was told it was fine to drive, as they couldn't fit me in for service with a loaner for 2 wks!! the light eventually went off in 2 days without an issue. However, it happened again at 5K miles. The check engine light came on and I proceeded to drive around the corner from my home. I stopped at a stop sign, accelerated slightly and the car died. The car had a check engine (yellow light on) and a red light. I had little to no control over the steering either. I pulled over, restarted the car and turned around. I proceeded at a rate of 5 to 10 miles per hour with my hazards lights on for the mile ride back to my house. I stopped at a 4 way stop sign and accelerated slightly and the car died again. I was almost hit by oncoming traffic. I was able to drive less than a mile to my home. The car had to be flat bedded as it would not shift into neutral. The car is at VW and I am awaiting more info...with no loaner.

- White Plains , NY, USA

Jan 052013

Tiguan 4-cyl

There are 2 separate incidents. First incident approx. Nov. 26. proceeding up a steep hill when the car suddenly decelerated. Pressing on gas pedal did not result in increased speed. Needed to shift to manual transmission mode to regain control of the car. Second incident on Dec. 27. proceeding down a steep hill at approx. 45 mph. Posted speed limit is 45mph. Pavement is dry, visibility is miles. Sky is overcast. While driving down the hill the vehicle suddenly went into deceleration from 45 to ~ 30mph. Pressing on the gas pedal did not result in speed increase. Needed to shift car into manual transmission mode to gain control of the car back. Third incident on Jan. 5. proceeding on city street at less than posted speed limit. Suddenly car has no power. All electrical is off. Must move car to side of road. After getting the car out of traffic and stopped, was able to restart. All above incidents are reported to VW and car is in for service. VW reports no issues with the car.

- Belmont, CA, USA