2013 Volkswagen Tiguan engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Volkswagen Tiguan:

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan Owner Comments

Jun 242014

The contact owns a 2013 Volkswagen Tiguan. While driving various speeds, the vehicle jerked forward, stalled, and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was serviced per NHTSA campaign number: 14V441000 (fuel system, gasoline), but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the central wiring harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred two additional times. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, but the diagnosis was unknown. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 4,997.

- Jamaica, NY, USA

May 082016

I was one the high way 1, and I drove about 10 minutes. All of a sudden, my car shut off while driving. The battery light came on and car died. The wheel was even locked. Basically, I was stocked on the highway! then, I restarted my car on the high way 1, and it worked again. The dealer can not find any issue, and the same issues happened to me twice with two months. Now, I have to report this in order to protect myself.

- Sand City, CA, USA

Sep 302013

Tiguan 4-cyl

Car stalled in the middle of bumper to bumper traffic with me and a two year old strapped in her seat. Most horrifying experience in my whole 48 years of life. Your dealer did nothing and said it's all in my head. Car was at the dealership multiple times ever since for stalling while me driving! will start class action suit through an orlando law firm of debaubien, knight, manzaris, simmons and neal unless car is replaced.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Mar 032014

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle engine problems. The consumer stated the fixed point of the engine's dust cover had a fracture. Reason: The thickness of the fixed point was too thin. Oil was burning in the combustion chamber, which was a continuous process when the vehicle was being driven, due to the oil separator which had a serious design flaw. Oil leaked out from the end cover for the camshaft, because the fixed bolts were not enough and not sealed. The idle speed was not stable and the electronic control system had a fault.

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 042014

Tiguan 4-cyl

After turning motor on, and backing up, the car is unresponsive when shifted into drive, . on 4 occasions now I have had to restart the car and try again. The accelerator seems progressively unresponsive. Yesterday, the car stayed in gear, and on long enough for me to pull into traffic and then died. I had to restart while vehicles drove around me. Thankfully it was a residential street. I'm very worried now to drive the car as it could happen in a busier environment and result in an accident. Checking online, this seems to have occurred to other Volkswagen Tiguan owners over the past 3 years, but dealership service departments were unable to determine the problem or changed out the fuel pump. After GM recall I am very concerned.

- Milwaukie, OR, USA

Oct 252012

Tiguan 4-cyl

Vehicle cut out, and engine died. Sometimes the epc light is illuminated, other times it is simply a loss of power and then engine cut off. Has happened multiple times. Often during acceleration into traffic.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Feb 232014

Tiguan 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Volkswagen Tiguan. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph and making a right turn, the vehicle lost power. The contact restarted that vehicle and the vehicle functioned properly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that they could not diagnose the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 4,600.

- Miami Springs, FL, USA

Oct 282013

Tiguan 6-cyl

My first issue with a check engine light came on 1 month into my 3+ year lease with under 1,000 miles on the car. I was told it was fine to drive, as they couldn't fit me in for service with a loaner for 2 wks!! the light eventually went off in 2 days without an issue. However, it happened again at 5K miles. The check engine light came on and I proceeded to drive around the corner from my home. I stopped at a stop sign, accelerated slightly and the car died. The car had a check engine (yellow light on) and a red light. I had little to no control over the steering either. I pulled over, restarted the car and turned around. I proceeded at a rate of 5 to 10 miles per hour with my hazards lights on for the mile ride back to my house. I stopped at a 4 way stop sign and accelerated slightly and the car died again. I was almost hit by oncoming traffic. I was able to drive less than a mile to my home. The car had to be flat bedded as it would not shift into neutral. The car is at VW and I am awaiting more info...with no loaner.

- White Plains , NY, USA