9.7

2008 Volkswagen Touareg lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Volkswagen Touareg:

2008 Volkswagen Touareg Owner Comments

Nov 152007

Touareg

I purchased an '08 VW Touareg 2 V8 with the much lauded bi-xenon afs II headlights. I fully understand bi-xenon brand headlights and hids in general are in design transition and are supposed to offer more illumination, and thus better safety, than prior halogen headlight designs. However, my real life experience with bi-xenon headlights strongly suggests that NHTSA overlooked something that has placed many motorists, myself included, at risk. Because of the "vertical cutoff" present in the light pattern of low beam bi-xenons, the uphill side of roadway dips and valleys are not illuminated. This is an ever-present danger for those of us who travel rural, country roads, at night, with abundant wildlife present (or pets, children or joggers). Of course, utilizing the high beams can compensate for the blind spots created by the vertical cutoff. However, when on unfamiliar country roads, traveling the speed limit, I find that I am caught overdriving the headlight illumination when encountering dips and valleys, and cannot react quickly enough with high beam response to make me feel secure. There is also the issue of blinding oncoming motorists with my high beams or even those I'm approaching from behind. I believe the NHTSA approval of bi-xenons headlights on the VW Touareg was a mistake. The vehicles need to be recalled. The alleged added advantage of bi-xenons on level or ascending roadways is negated by the blind spots created in dips and valleys when the vehicle is descending. I would gladly return to halogen type headlights for rural settings.

- Enumclaw, WA, USA