2004 Volvo XC70 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Volvo XC70:

2004 Volvo XC70 Owner Comments

Feb 022016

The contact owns a 2004 Volvo XC70. The contact stated that while parked, there was a strong fuel odor emitting from the rear of the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 200,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 292015

About 2 weeks ago, I suspected fuel leak in my car. It is garaged. I did not take it seriously as it was on and off - at least in my detection. I took it to a mechanic anyway - and he performed inspections and "tightened retaining ring for left side sender" and asked me to "watch" for any further incidents. On Tuesday this week I filled glass to the brim in hopes of knowing more about this leak issue and left in my garage overnight. On Wednesday morning when I opened my garage door to leave to work, the fuel stench was intense. I moved my car out from my garage and noticed a small puddle of fuel on the driver side rear. Without understanding the risk I was getting into, I drove the car to work - luckily with no incidents. Called my mechanic and he rightfully suggested me to tow it to his shop - which I did. He called later and said that I have a hairline leak on the "sender line" and I need to replace the entire fuel pump unit - and said it would cost me $880 [L&P] - of course, with Volvo parts. I just completed it this morning - and just have driven my car out from the shop [he replaced just the driver side fuel sender unit - at a cost ~$575]. back home, I was researching and came across a recall notice from Volvo for this same issue. Unfortunately I did not get any notice of this recall - but was told by the Volvo rep [when I called them] that this issue has been addressed on my car earlier during a regular dealer inspection. She asked me to file my case again - and currently awaiting a response from Volvo. I am disappointed - not much about the cost but the risk that I put myself and my family into - without knowing or being aware of this recall notice. Of all the car manufacturers, I would have expected Volvo to let us know about this - as safety is [apparently] synonymous with their brand name.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Mar 302015

XC70 5-cyl

Found out today that my car has a crack in the fuel pump after smelling gas the last few days. There was a recall for 2001-2005 XC70's (Jan. 2010) where the fuel pump can develop cracks in the flange when exposed to hot temps and (thermal cycling) combined with varying fuel grades. Checked with the dealer and was told Connecticut was not one of the states covered by this recall. Why not and have there been other complaints from states not covered in the original recall. A car fire can be a definite result of this fuel leak and should be covered in all states.

- Niantic, CT, USA

Mar 152013

The contact owns a 2004 Volvo XC70. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled numerous times. The check engine light illuminated while the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to the mechanic to have a diagnostic performed. The failure was located at the fuel pump. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 178,000 and the current mileage was 182,000.

- Estill , SC, USA