CarComplaints.com Notes: The XC90 took its “freshman 15” of transmission complaints and turned it into a “sophomore 45.” The 2004 XC90 saw 3X as many complaints about the transmission failing as it did in its inaugural North American model year! By the following year, transmission complaints fell back in line with the 2003. That sharp spike in complaints means we recommend avoiding the 2004.

On top of transmission complaints, the 2004 XC90 also has problems with a sudden loss of power. The lucky ones are met with a “reduced engine performance” message, while others are left stranded on the side of the road waiting for a tow.

8.0

2004 Volvo XC90 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Volvo XC90:

2004 Volvo XC90 Owner Comments

Sep 052003

XC90

I took my vehicle in shortly after the problem. Volvo said they fixed it, and they did, so I thought. In a couple of weeks, there is the problem again. Took the car back again. It was repaired, so I thought. Took the car back again and they used some kind of black tar like stuff to fix it. The only reason I knew it was black and sticky was because it came out once again and the gooey stuff was all over my panel just before you reach the door. Needless to say it is still out in 2008. I said forget it. Waste of time.

- , Lakewood, CA, USA