Saab Preliminary Evaluation PE09048: SEAT BELT RETRACTOR
2004 Saab 9-3
SEAT BELT RETRACTOR
- ODI has received eight complaints of front seat belt retractors breaking on model year 2004 Saab 9-3 vehicles.a common failure scenario involves the driver hearing a noise and the belt suddenly losing tension.a non-functioning seat belt increases the risk and severity of injury in the event of a crash. General Motors initiated a recall in May 2004 (04V226) to replace both front seat belts because of a similar problem in 25,355 model year 2003 and 5,980 model year 2004 Saab 9-3 sedans.the retractors contained an automatic tensioning system (ats), a design feature and mechanism to enhance occupant comfort by reducing shoulder belt pressure.investigation found that the cable in the ats mechanism was damaged during the supplier's manufacturing process.the failures occurred when the cable broke. Recall 04V226 did not cover model year 2004 9-3 sedans manufactured after September 30, 2004, and before May 10, 2004, which incorporated modified ats manufacturing processes.the current investigation finds that the ats on the drivers' seats on the post-recall population is failing prematurely.this is a different problem than the manufacturing defect that led to the original recall.General Motors now will recall the balance of 2004 Saab 9-3 sedan driver seats with the ats feature.not all 2004 9-3 seat belt retractors are subject to recall.the retractors on 9-3 sedan passenger seats, due to their less frequent use than drivers' seats, do not have the same risk of premature failure as those on the drivers' seats.Saab will replace the passenger side retractors for 10 years from new vehicle date of sale under a special coverage program.model year 2004 9-3 convertibles have a different seat/seat belt design and construction.Saab 9-3 vehicles manufactured on and after May 10, 2004, do not have the ats feature and therefore are not subject to this problem.
- Documents (8)
- GM 11/13/2009 LETTER TO ODI, WITH ATTACHMENT Q 3, Q7, Q8 & Q10
- CLOSING RESUME APPROVED * 02/25/2010 * p
- OPENING RESUME APPROVED * 09/30/09 * p
- IR TO MFR - To investigate allegations of seat belt retractor failure. * 10/02/09 * p
- GM 3-16-2010 LETTER TO ODI WITH ATTACHMENT 1 PE09-048 SURVEY POPULATION AND 2004 SAAB 9-3 PASSENGER RETRACTOR REPLACE PROJECTION.
- MFR IR RESPONSE DATA
- MFR IR RESPONSE DATA
- GM 11/13/2009 ATTACHMENT Q3 REQUEST # 2
Click a tab for more information.