2008 Saturn Vue drivetrain NHTSA complaints: Power Train

NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2008 Saturn Vue (Page 1 of 4)

2008 Saturn Vue drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Vue:

2008 Saturn Vue Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jan 122017

Vue

Reference # 10945589, forgot to mention vehicle is not and has not show warning light about this.... exp..no check engine...

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Jan 121982

Vue

Once I start driving my automatic 2008 Saturn Vue after a couple of minutes it will not accelerate much. Its like the shifts get stuck around 3rd or so and it smells like burn.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Jan 032017

Vue

There was a recall bulletin issued for my model year vehicle: www-ODI.NHTSA.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ucm472842/rcrit-14V614-0055.pdf however, when I contacted my closest GM dealer they said that my VIN was not associated with this recall. This is concerning as the recall is describing the exact problem w/ the car and has been diagnosed by a service professional. One of the connectors on my ECM somehow has become contaminated and is causing the car to unexpectedly die while in use. Also as a result, the tcs/esp/and check engine lights all come on and remain on until the computer can be reset. It has done so twice while my wife has been driving it on the highway, creating very dangerous situations. It strands her on the side of the road until we can get the car started again and off the highway. This has also happened while the car is idling, and while traveling at low speeds off the highway. I understand that only certain vins are involved in certain recalls, but since the problem in the recall bulletin linked above is happening to our vehicle and our vehicle's VIN is not listed, I am concerned there could be others that are not aware of this and could become seriously injured when the vehicle shuts off.

- La Grange, KY, USA

Oct 282016

Vue

Was driving the car and it failed to shift from 1st gear (car kept moving but the rpms went way up). Check engine light came on and codes P0700, P0752 and P0989 were pulled from the car. Mechanic looked at the car and it had to be sent to a transmission shop. The transmission shop rebuilt the transmission which included a failed wave plate. The new wave plate is much more robust than the original one. Car was at 125,844 miles when work completed. Contacted GM about the special coverage this this transmission. The GM special coverage is for 10 years or 120,000 miles. Unfortunately our Saturn would not be covered reimbursed by GM even though the wave plate failure is a known problem by GM. GM said that anything above 120,000 miles is considered normal wear and tear even though it is a known issue.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Aug 232016

Vue

Driving down the road and the car began having issues shifting gears. Pulled over and checked my fluids. Proceeded to continue driving and the car will not shift into reverse. Had to call for a tow. The car is now parked.

- Punta Gorda, FL, USA

May 242016

Vue

My transmission wave plate shattered in my 2008 Saturn Vue. I was driving home when the wave plate shattered. I had the vehicle fixed at a third party auto shop as I was not aware that GM had extended the transmission warranty to 3/20/2018 or 120,055 miles which ever occurred first. My wave plate broke on 5/24/2016 at 79167 miles on the vehicle. I have denied reimbursement sating I did not submit by receipts by the expatriation date. When I inquired on what that date was I was informed they had no idea. I will continue to fight this until I am rightfully reimbursed for these repairs per the extended transmission warranty that GM put out for the known wave plate issue. I have attached my original email chain with Saturn/GM customer service that indicates the extend transmission warranty date and mileage and the my vehicles VIN qualified, my reconsideration letter after first denial and receipt of the repair work that was completed. All I am looking for is to rightfully reimbursed by GM for the extended transmission warranty they put in place for a known issue with there vehicles.

- Blaine, MN, USA

Jan 022016

Vue 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Vue. While driving approximately 30 mph, the rpms suddenly increased, but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 63,000. Updated 11/29/16

- West Seneca, NY, USA

Apr 192016

Vue

Transmission fault and/or check engine light with code P0716, P0776, P0717, P0777, P2714, P2715, and/or P02723 on Saturn Vue vehicles with a 6speed automatic transmission may develop one or more of the following faults related to a broken 35R clutch wave plate inside the transmission: Illumination of the check engine light with code P0716, P0776, P0717, P0777, P2714, P2715, and/or P02723, loss of reverse gear, slipping or harsh 3rd or 5th gear shift. Removal and dis-assembly of the transmission will be required to replace the broken 35R wave plate. It is also extremely important that all debris from the failed part be cleaned from the transmission while it is disassembled in order to try and prevent future problems this affected 4 model years: 2003, 2006, 2008 and 2009 why wasn't a recall done on this? now I'm out of pocket for the expense of replacing my transmission.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 242016

Vue

Car has 40000 miles on it. Lost reverse gear and has trouble shifting gears. Is in shop. Told we need to replace transmission. Problems occurred while driving.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Mar 242016

Vue

The transmission has episodes where it will not shift out of second gear. I have to pull over, turn off the car and re- start it. Most of the time it will shift into gear after doing this, but this past week it has not taken care of the problem. I bought the car in Oct. 2015. And it started doing this 3 days after I bought it. I am aware that GM has several model vehicles, including some Saturn, which have on- star that have faulty wave plates and have been recalled for this problem. After reading some of the complaints from some of the owners of these vehicles, it sounds exactly like what my car is doing.I don't know who to contact about this. But fyi...Saturn has already had a class action suit against them for the 2004-2005 model transmission problem- or so I'm told.

- Lynchburg, OH, USA

Feb 282016

Vue

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Vue. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact pulled the vehicle to the side of the road and called aaa road service. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that a metal part within the transmission fractured and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact to submit a letter, detailing the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 42,000.

- Lake Balboa, CA, USA

Jan 042016

Vue

Steering wheel locked. Key would not turn in lock cylinder. Car would not start. Onstar communication was disabled. Lock cylinder had to be drilled out and replaced. Housing in steering column was damaged. Saturn Vues were recalled for ignition lock cylinder replacement, but 2008 models were left out of the recall. They should be on the recall list for ignition cylinder steering wheel lock problems along with the other Saturn Vue models. Steering wheel locked and prevented me from leaving a nearly empty parking lot at dusk. I had no way to call for help from the car. I depend on onstar for emergency assistance where cell signals are weak

- Fairplay, SC, USA

Jun 012015

Vue

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Vue. The contact stated while driving at approximately 20 mph, there was a grinding noise emerging from the engine. The vehicle was towed to the contacts residence. The next day the vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission module was damaged and needed replacement. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 119,000. The VIN was not available.

- Castle Rock, CO, USA

Oct 092015

Vue

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Vue. The contact stated that while attempting to reverse the vehicle, the transmission became inoperable as an unknown warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure and the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V200000 (power train). The failure mileage was 200,000.

- Eutawville, SC, USA

Sep 212015

Vue

When parking, whether on an incline or level ground my vehicle continues to roll forward. So a majority of the time I have to utilize my manual brake when placing my vehicle in park just to be on the safe side and to void any mishaps. Also, when in drive my vehicle makes a very strong noise that intensifies the longer I am driving. When I make turns or reverse it sounds like the transmission is struggling to perform. The best analogy I can give is when a person with asthma first begins to struggle with breathing and if they don't have their rescue inhaler that struggle immediately begins to kick up a notch. I reviewed the open recalls and found that there is one regarding the issues that I am experiencing with my vehicle (correct make/model) whoever, I am being told that recalls are VIN specific and that my VIN doesn't qualify. It was like I was being handled and the oh well tone regarding my concern that it can't be that issue because your VIN is not associated with the recall approach was quite unnerving.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Aug 132015

Vue

Ive had this issue fixed by 2 different mechanics. I didnt list the first incident because I dont remember the mileage. What happens is everytime I put gas in my vehicle it wont crank. This happens no matter how much gas I put in it. The first time it happened in February I was coming from out of town and needed gas, but prior to that the vehicle would jerk when I turned on the air which wasnt often in February because it was mostly cool out. So ive had to buy brand new parts twice because its what the computer read as an issue. The other issue I have every once in a while, I could be just getting in vehicle and it cranks fine, I would put the vehicle in reverse to back out and it wont bulge. Id then put it back in park thain drive itll move forward perfectly. When I put it in reverse again it would back out without control without ease. Once I almose hit a car passing my driveway. This happens once or twice a month. Ive also had the issue with the door opening handles where they stick I just thought my kids werent closing the door all the way. Now theyve gotten used to slamming the door because they dont want to hear my mouth everytime I get an open door notification.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Dec 152014

Vue

Vehicle was parked inside the garage in parked transmission position, suddenly the vehicle rolled backward and hit the garage door without any warning!

- Redmond, WA, USA

Jun 252015

Vue

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Vue. While parked on a hill, the vehicle rolled backwards independently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact was made aware of NHTSA campaign number: 08V470000 (power train); however, the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000.

- New Haven , CT, USA

May 212015

Vue

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Vue. While driving approximately 45 mph, the speed of the vehicle decreased to approximately 10 mph. The check engine warning light illuminated and the contact noticed a burning odor. The contact maneuvered to the emergency lane and shut the vehicle off. The vehicle was able to restart, but the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and diagnosed as a transmission failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 73,400.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Feb 132015

Vue 6-cyl

Driving on highway at 70 mph with my wife and 3 kids car reduced gear from 6 to 5 and I lost ability to accelerate and almost got rear ended by the car behind me because of sudden loss of speed without applying the brakes and sending the warning by the brake lights to the car behind me. Car just started to slow down but whoever was driving behind me couldn't know that because of no warning. Transmission valve plate 35R failed which is a very common issue in this car and model. There should be recall in my opinion. I read many people's reports of that happening and almost causing an accident. Does someone need to get hurt or killed to get this recall done?

- Crown Point, IN, USA