Transmission Failure

$3,480

1. replace transmission (5 reports)
  2. rebuild transmission (3 reports)
2008 Saturn Vue transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Vue:

2008 Saturn Vue Owner Comments

Mar 132017

Vue XR 3.2L

Automatic got stuck in first gear while entering the highway after stopping for fuel and ground that gear such that it could not shift ending in complete transmission failure in about 3/4 mile - Vue got towed back to garage and they replaced with a Viper transmission - About 20% more expensive, but trust is important for a vehicle you want to last another 6 or more years. This was a well maintained vehicle with synthetic fluids all around. Power Steering and H20 pump have also failed and the rear exhaust has awful vibration when starting to drive.

- rich_va, Springfield, US

Apr 042016

Vue XE 2.4L

This transmission wouldn't shift properly and was leaking and vibrating terribly! The search of this problem on the 2008 Saturn Vue is correct. Run away from this vehicle unless you want to experience a big cost. I had a remanufactured transmission installed that has a 3yr/100,000 Warranty. This was cheaper than replacing the vehicle.

- M M., Buffalo, NY, USA

Aug 222016

Vue XE 2.4L

I have fewer than 54,000 miles on this vehicle and something in the transmission broke loose and cracked the pan. So I get to pay a minimum of $2700 for a vehicle with this mileage should not have ANY major problems. It is currently in the shop and since it is past the 5yr warranty (no where near the mileage warranty) I get to pay for it out of pocket.

- Jennifer M., Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Feb 222014

Vue Line 3.6L

The diagnosis was a cracked wave plate in the transmission. Cost to repair - approximately $3000. Because my car was out of warranty time wise, but not mile wise (75000k), the cost to repair was reduced to $1375. The car is paid for with zero resale value so I have no other financial alternative but to get it repaired. My opinion - avoid this car at all costs, but Jonathan A did come through with some much appreciated and valuable assistance.

- mudbone, Gilbert, AZ, USA

Mar 252014

Vue 3.5L

Our 2008 Saturn Vue transmission completely broke down, only had 79000 miles, had to have towed.Transmission had to be rebuilt, 3,5,reverse gear wave plates were completely destroyed. Rebuild price at a reputable Transmission Repair Shop with 1 year warranty was 3500 dollars. I am very disappointed with Saturn/GM for allowing such a known problem to persist without acknowledgment to the owners of this vehicle.,

- theshack1, Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Feb 162015

Vue 3.6L V6 Dohc 24v

I have read a lot of complaints about this issue. Now I am not happy it happened, but we bought this car brand new in October 2007 and now have over 183,000 miles on it. This car does 95% of its driving in the Highway, so I'm sure this helped with the survival of the transmission. I don't like going to a dealer with a problem. Then they say nothing is wrong when the check engine light is on. I have known my transmission has been "slipping" for months now, but apparently never took it to the right place. Dealers say there are no 'faults'. We do like our Saturn it has treated us well, but the GM Service on the other hand, I'd rather go to a garage that has a little better customer relationship and cares for your car as much as you care for your car.

- Steven L., Arlington, WA, USA

Oct 242014

Vue

Had some problems for over a year with transmission slipping first thing in the morning going from reverse to drive. Dealerships (took to two different ones) could not duplicate the problem. Transmission went out -except for reverse. Of course, even though I had taken in before warranty was up, I was told this problem was not covered as I was well over the miles and no proof that the slippage was related to the transmission failure. There is NO way the transmission should have gone out with fewer than 100,000 miles. The "new" transmission actually has a longer warranty than the original one.

- Shawn T., Eaton Rapids, MI, USA

Nov 302014

Vue LX V6

This car has been well cared for. This transmission should not have failed due to the limited miles on the car.

- Diane P., Lacey, WA, USA