2006 BMW 325 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW 325:

2006 BMW 325 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Aug 182014

325 6-cyl

I took my car in for a standard oil change and front driver side light turning signal not working and I also advised the airbag light would come on when I turned on the car for the past few months. I was advised that the air bag for the passenger side had to be replaced which would cost me more than 800 dollars. I questioned if it was part of the most recent recall but was advised no. Seeing all the complaints on this site of the same vehicle and issue and not being included, this does not make sense. Please advise how cars are picked as it seems the cars that were not notified are the ones that are having the exact or similar issue of what the recall is for. I recently moved as well so I'm wondering what happens if the letter if there was one was sent to the incorrect place.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Feb 082012

325 6-cyl

I own a 2006 BMW 330xi. I'm having problems with the steering column lock which prevents the car from starting. The problem starts with a yellow warning light that indicates the steering column is locked. The starting problem is constant. We are concerned we may get stranded or as some have reported the steering may lock with little or no warning. From what I can find on the internet it appears BMW is aware of the problem. Comments are bad steering column. The problem started in Feb. Of 2012 when the car only had 9000 miles and my extended warranty had just expired. The car now has 11000 miles.the dealer has not been able to help and suggested on several occasions that I contact BMW direct. The problem appears to be common from the comments posted on line by BMW owners of 2006 on. I recently contacted BMW and they suggested I have the dealership perform a diagnostic test.the test result was defective steering column.the fee for this test was $145.91. The estimate they provided to replace the steering column is $1,467.86 plus diagnostic fee of $145.91. Total cost $1,613.77. Your investigation will show the defective steering column is a common problem. As the problem persist the safety concerns become greater. Is a recall coming as this is serious highway safety concern?

- Pleasant Valley, NY, USA

Jul 012014

325 6-cyl

The doors to the vehicle locked automatically and could not be opened from inside the vehicle. I had to open the driver side window and use the key from the ignition fob to open the driver door from outside. All other doors remained locked and could not be opened from inside or outside. I consider this a safety issue because vehicle occupants could be trapped in the car with no way to exit besides crawling through a window. I believe BMW should issue a safety recall to remedy this defect.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 012014

325 6-cyl

Passenger air bag warning lights comes on and off sporadically. This will cause air bags not to inflate in event of an accident. BMW issued recall for defective seat mats/sensor but they say my vehicle not covered by the recall and replacement is $1000. It is same defective seat mat as on other 2006 325I cars and should be included in recall.

- Bonsall, CA, USA

Jul 052013

325

First the driver side door lock actuator would not unlock so I would have to use the key to unlock the driver door. Bought a new actuator and had it replaced. Not even one month later the back seat driver side door lock actuator went out as well. However there is no key hole for the back door and it cannot be opened from the inside. I was told by a BMW dealer that I would have to have the door torn off and replaced with a new door because there was no way to open the door. But wait there's more! both back window regulators went out as well! got the back seat passenger side fixed. But can't get the driver side done yet. This all happened within a year.

- Little Elm , TX, USA

Feb 032014

325

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 325I. The contact stated that the instrument panel continued to short circuit and various sensors illuminated at random. The ABS, traction control and air bag sensor illuminated at random. The rear back window light also short circuit and was replaced more than one time. The failure was diagnosed by an authorized dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Woonsocket, RI, USA

Sep 232013

325 6-cyl

White smoke coming though ac ducts. When taken to shop they said it was coolant leak in heater core. Replacement would cost me $3000-$4000.

- Union City, CA, USA

Nov 252013

325 6-cyl

Doors will not unlock from remote key or unlock button inside car or from doors handle inside or outside car and will trap passengers inside. Only driver side door opens with door key. Doors can not be locked from remote key except driver side door. Totally unsafe to drive for chance getting trapped inside car. No manual door open feature exists.

- Newark, CA, USA

Oct 112013

325 6-cyl

The rear door lock is not working - the handles do not open the door from the inside - the lock actuator is faulty and needs to be replaced again. So far I have had the front door lock actuators and the rear driver side actuators replaced. BMW will not fix the actuators even though the part has been changed out before, is a known issue, and the actuators have been superseded two times by BMW.

- Katy, TX, USA

Oct 132013

325 6-cyl

Battery was low and wouldn't start jump started the car and received a message that the seat belt restraint tensioner is bad. Has a seat belt with airbag symbol on the dash...plus the vehicle started showing a symbol with a steering wheel with arrows then the car won't start until I shake the steering wheel several times...was stranded for hours then finally it started. BMW has very low quality and problems. This is becoming very unsafe and not sure if I want my family in this unsafe vehicle.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Sep 122013

325 6-cyl

After pushing the start button I get this message (not an error, a message): "electric steering wheel lock may prevent engine starting. Move the steering wheel so that engine can be started." So the wheel locks itself all of a sudden I have to tow the car for no reason. Now dealer is suggesting to changing a part and some other dealer says it needs to be reprogrammed. Unbelievable. BMW doesn't even know the reason of this issue..

- Clifton, NJ, USA

Jul 062013

325 6-cyl

My door lock actuator failed in the garage and I have not been able to open the doors either from outside or inside. It would have been dangerous if this had happened when the vehicle was occupied and there was an accident.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jul 032013

325 6-cyl

The door locks would not unlock from inside the vehicle using the central door unlock/lock button, key or manual door handle. Had this been an emergency would not have been able to escape quickly. Had to open window, reach outside and use the manual key to open door lock. There should be a recall on this known safety defect.

- Salinas, CA, USA

May 232012

325 6-cyl

5/23/12 - vehicle would not start, needed to be jumped. Tachometer and speedometer would not function. Dealer charged battery - no fault codes found, all fuses ok, checked for power and ground - all ok. Dash cluster now operable. 6/6/13 - difficulty starting car - mileage 10151. Instrument cluster inoperable, fuel gauge, speedometer, fuel economy gauge, trip gauge reverted to almost zero. Dealer diagnosed, replaced and programmed instrument cluster, replaced battery, full maintenance performed - oil change, brake fluid, filters. Car now performs well - dealer did excellent turn around. Mileage reset at less that 10151.

- Elm Grove, WI, USA

Jun 132013

325 6-cyl

My car was having an oil leak when I sent my car to get check they found out the bolts are broken which I did my research and I found out is a manufactures defect, because this bolts are place no to be taken off. This leakage has my car going crazzzy when I wash my car and I turn my fog lights on all the lights on my dash go on my engine goes off and smells like is about to burn this is a serious problem.

- Lynn, MA, USA

Aug 152012

325 6-cyl

Car lost power abruptly while driving approximately 40mph in traffic. Upon looking into the rearview mirror, smoke was appearing from the trunk. We opened the trunk and saw part of the carpet, which covered the car battery, was burned. The positive battery cable somehow shorted and caused a small fire, causing the carpet and actual battery to burn. After the smoke cleared, the battery cable had a small slit in it and the copper cabling had turned to an oxidized white color. Luckily noone was hurt, but we spent our own money to have it towed and repaired. We complained to BMW North America but they simply said there was no recall. We had to buy our own expensive cable from a local BMW dealership and have it installed. It turns out BMW just recently started a positive battery recall program on various cars, but the 2006 325I is not in that list. The incident that happened to us last year is similar, if not worse, than what was described in their details of the current battery cable recall.

- Irving, TX, USA

Feb 062013

325

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 325I. The contact stated that while attempting to exit his residential driveway, the vehicle stalled without any warnings. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the rear electrical cable was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 92,000 and the current mileage was 93,000.

- Katonah, NY, USA

Mar 222013

325

Yesterday, the doors on my 2006 325I wouldn't unlock with the key fob. I used the actual key to enter the car and the central locking/unlocking button does not unlock the doors. The door to the gas tank is also locked. There is no way to unlock any of the passenger doors which poses a safety hazard. In reading through online forums, this is a common problem that should be addressed by BMW. Thank you.

- Redwood City, CA, USA

Feb 032013

325

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 325I. The contact stated that while driving at low, unknown speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was later towed to the dealer where it was found that the battery cables were faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted but offered not assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 91,000. The current mileage was approximately 93,000.

- Fort Lee, NJ, USA

Jan 092013

325 6-cyl

I have a faulty passenger side seat occupancy sensor failure, as diagnosed by the local BMW dealership. The failure code is 93C3, and the issue appears to have been previously recognized by the manufacturer, and partially remedied with either an extended warranty or recall, allowable on only particular VIN numbers. The recall / extended warranty applies to particular 2006 3 series BMW vehicles manufactured prior to January 2006. The 93C3 seat mat occupancy failure in my vehicle causes the airbag and seat belt lights to illuminate on the dashboard of the vehicle. BMW usa has advised that the recall does not impact my vehicle, even though the seats, and manufacture date are within the recall parameters. The local BMW dealership, as well as independent shops have all advised that the failure should, by all qualifying means beyond VIN number identification, be covered under the recall or extended warranty, as this is the same failure as vehicles impacted by the referenced recall. Referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 08V384000 the BMW 325I vehicle I own was manufactured in August of 2005, equipped with standard seat. BMW usa has stated within the recall that they don't know how many vehicles are impacted by this issue and has only elected to remedy this issue on a predetermined set of vehicles. The manufacturer, BMW has been notified of this specific issue, and provided no assistance. They advised that all repairs are to be customer paid, and have refused to honor their recall. As of 1/22/2013, the vehicle remains unrepaired and a safety hazard. Many others have the same issue, as documented by NHTSA complaints. BMW stated consequence of non repair: In this situation the front passenger air bags will not deploy even if a sufficiently severe accident would occur and occupant protection provided by the system would not be possible.

- Buffalo, NY, USA