2006 BMW 325 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW 325:

2006 BMW 325 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mar 252014

325 6-cyl

Airbag and seatbelt sensor comes on and off randomly. Appears to be a sensor or connection error.

- Shenandoah , VA, USA

Jan 212014

325 6-cyl

I purchased the vehicle one week ago with the airbag and seatbelt lights on the dash, after plenty of research there was a recall done on only the sport seats. After everything I read even the non sports seats, like mine are having the issues as well. BMW needs to fix this issue with all models. I have no clue at this point if the airbags will even go off in the event of a crash. Plenty of complaints on the site about this same issue. Please help

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Nov 292013

325 6-cyl

Airbag light went on and idrive said there was a malfunction with the passenger side safety restraint system. BMW is saying that my vehicle is not in scope of the recall, though it should be as it is the same error as related to the existing recall below: Recall id # 57362 - air bags:frontal recall date Aug 05, 2008 recall date: Aug 05, 2008 model affected: 2006 BMW 3-series I am thinking it is because I have the touring 3-series, but they share the same sport seats as the other 3-series. Please add my VIN to the recall list.

- Covington, KY, USA

Aug 012013

325 6-cyl

My vehicle seat belt restraint system is not working properly. There is warning on my dash of a malfunction and after some research my vehicle VIN number is not under the recall. It have the same sports seats they speak about having the problem same year same model same problem with seat sensor but my VIN is not under recall.

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Oct 112013

325 6-cyl

The rear door lock is not working - the handles do not open the door from the inside - the lock actuator is faulty and needs to be replaced again. So far I have had the front door lock actuators and the rear driver side actuators replaced. BMW will not fix the actuators even though the part has been changed out before, is a known issue, and the actuators have been superseded two times by BMW.

- Katy, TX, USA

Oct 132013

325 6-cyl

Battery was low and wouldn't start jump started the car and received a message that the seat belt restraint tensioner is bad. Has a seat belt with airbag symbol on the dash...plus the vehicle started showing a symbol with a steering wheel with arrows then the car won't start until I shake the steering wheel several times...was stranded for hours then finally it started. BMW has very low quality and problems. This is becoming very unsafe and not sure if I want my family in this unsafe vehicle.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Jan 152013

325 6-cyl

The passenger seat belt/air bag light went on intermittently for months, finally the dealership was able to get the error code. It was confirmed that there is an issue with this and BMW has known about it since 2008. Per their website they were going to send out recall notices to owners, we never recieved anything. BMW needs to make this right and fix the problem at no cost to owners.

- Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Jun 032013

325 6-cyl

Air bag and passenger seat belt indicator on center dash cluster lit up during normal driving. Took car to dealership for repair and was told the air bag seat mat was bad and needed to be replaced. Also told that repair would cost $900. Decided to eat cost as it is a major safety issue as air bags will not deploy during a crash. Total cost for repairs: Qty 1 part# 52-10-7-244-127 basic seat U 1 cost $385.10, qty 2 part# 52-20-1-964-201 clip 13 cost $3.84, qty 35 part# 52-10-945-543 clamp 134 cost $$22.40. Total parts=$411.34 ; total labor=$554.60, total bill for repair=$965.94. I would not mind if this would be the end of the issue, but it is not. I picked up the car from daniels BMW of allentown on June 14 2013, and today (June 21, 2013) the issue came back. 7 days after I had the car repaired for the issue, the exact same issue reappeared. This is a major concern of mine as the front passenger seat of my car is almost always in use by myself or my spouse. After doing a bit of reading on BMW online forums, I see that there is a recall for the exact sensor mat as installed in my car, for almost all other seats containing the exact seat mat, but not for my car, and others like me. I have gone onto the BMW na website and did a recall search for my car and found that the recall does not apply to my car. This is a major safety issue for BMW and they should stand behind their product and repair all seats affected without question. I will be taking my car back to daniels BMW of allentown for courtesy repair and hopefully they will replace...again....the broken mat for free. Hopefully this will not be the beginning of an ongoing recurring issue.

- Kempton, PA, USA

Feb 042013

325

The red passenger-side air bag and seat belt lights come on and stay on, whether or not anyone is sitting in the passenger seat. My BMW dealer has told me this means the passenger airbags are deactivated and this is a common occurrence caused by a faulty sensor.

- San Jose, CA, USA

May 012013

325 6-cyl

The red passenger-side air bag and seat belt lights come on and stay on, whether or not anyone is sitting in the passenger seat. BMW has told me it will cost $1,300 to replace, yet it seems from other complaints here and from other online forums that the mat sensor causing this problem was defectively manufactured.

- New York, NY, USA

Sep 132012

325 6-cyl

I was backing up at 4 mph and pressed the brake to stop. The airbag and seatbelt warning light went on. It continued to stay on and has not turned off since. There was no one in the car other than myself as the driver. I have had the car into the mechanic twice now to fix the issue and the lights and warnings still come on. I called the dealership and they say my VIN is not on the recall list. I have researched the issue and found that many owners of the same year, make, and model are having the same issues. Is there any way to get my car VIN added to the recall list?

- Aloha, OR, USA

Jan 022013

325 6-cyl

I'm getting this message "restraint system malfunction, fault in passenger restraint system affecting airbag, belt tensioner, or belt force limiter. Continue to wear the safety belt, have the system checked by the nearest BMW center." Usually I have this msg when I have a passenger, but now even with empty seat it pops up and together with the passenger airbag lights. I have contacted the bmwusa about this issue and the( NHTSA campaign id number: 08V384000) but they stated that my vehicle does not fall under that category according to the VIN #. hope someone can help, because I have found a lots of complaints about similar issues online. Thank you for your consideration..

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Mar 252013

325 6-cyl

For no reason the passenger and rear driver side seatbelt and airbag light came on while driving and stayed on forever. My 2006 BMW 325I has standard seat.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Mar 072013

325

I started my car that morning and the airbag/seatbelt sensor light came on even though my seatbelt was fastened. I fastened the passenger seat belt to see if that was it but it stayed on. I took the car to the BMW dealership in augusta, ga and they charged me $120 to check it. They stated it would cost $530 to repair it. I decided to check if there was a recall and I see that this is a common complaint about these vehicles. Other vehicles within the year model have been included in a recall but 325xi have been excluded. Since the same malfunction of the same item is happening, it should be recalled on 325xi as well.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jan 152013

325 6-cyl

The passenger side occupancy seat mat for the airbag failed. BMW has bulletin sib 65 75 06, airbag warning lamp for OC3 seat mat fault, that covers my cars build date, but BMW states my VIN is not covered. There is also a current recall, NHTSA campaign number: 08V384000 but BMW states my car is not covered and refuses to honor the 10 year extended warranty. My car is experiencing this same issue, as diagnosed by a local BMW dealers, but they have failed to cover it. This is a major safety issue that is affecting many cars outside of the recall. They are many people posting on various BMW forums that are experiencing the same issue. BMW should be held accountable to fix all the vehicles experiencing this problem.

- Clovis, CA, USA

Oct 232012

325

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 325I. The contact stated the passenger side air bag warning light and the seat belt warning light illuminated indicating that the passenger air bag was off when a passenger seat was occupied. The dealer was contacted to set up an appointment regarding the air bag and seat belt light. The contact believed that if the vehicle was involved in a crash the passenger side air bag would not deploy. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Tigard, OR, USA

May 212012

325 6-cyl

Passenger airbags sensors come on and off, seat belt light on with passenger in car.

- Paterson, NJ, USA

Feb 012012

325 6-cyl

When a passenger sits in the front passenger seat the airbag failure light illuminates, the seat belt light illuminates and remains lit, and the passenger airbag off light illuminates. This is apparently due to micro-cracking in the passenger seat occupancy detection mat, however BMW only includes a small percentage of affected cars in the 2008 recall. BMW na refuses to fix this safety defect for all 2006 build year 330I models with sport seats. The same seats which are affected by the identical issue for 2005 build year. It seems given the number of cars affected by the same issue that the defect was not corrected for the 2006 build year. This could result in the passenger airbag not deploying in a collision which is extremely dangerous.

- Havertown, PA, USA

Feb 012010

325

The OC3 mat (passenger occupancy sensor mat) has failed. This issue, as described in more detail below (4.), involves the front passenger seat occupant detection mat of certain BMW vehicles, and has been the subject of NHTSA PE07-045 and EA08-001. In short, a fatigue failure of the mat can occur and would consequently lead to the deactivation of the front passenger air bags with exception of the head protection system. The air bag warning lamp as well as the passenger air bag "on-off" lamp would illuminate in such case. BMW states that my vehicle does not fall under this recall since it was produced after 11/2005. Yet, the prognosis of the failure is exactly the same as of the recall.

- Kearneysville, WV, USA

Dec 142011

325

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 325xi. The contact started the ignition and noticed that both the air bag and seat belt warning indicators were illuminated. The failure would also occur when driving at various speeds. The warning lights remained illuminated until the engine was turned off. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and they detected the malfunction was contributed to the front passenger seat sensor mat. There was a recall related to the defect under NHTSA campaign id number 08V384000 (air bags: Frontal). The manufacturer was notified and they informed the contact that the VIN was not included in the recall defect. The vehicle had not been repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Elkridge , MD, USA