2006 BMW 325 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW 325:

2006 BMW 325 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Feb 102012

325 6-cyl

Air bag sign keeps going on/off. There was a recall 08V-384 but BMW is saying my vehicle was out of the build window. I have the same issue as NHTSA recall campaign number: 08V384000 (NHTSA action number: EA08001).

- Shelby Township, MI, USA

Jan 262012

325 6-cyl

The airbag warning comes on indicating that the passenger seat airbag is off and the. Belt tension sensor is malfunctioning. Only happens when there is someone sitting in the passenger seat.

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Jan 032012

325 6-cyl

The airbag warning lights and seatbelt warning lights are lit in red. After diagnosis from the dealer's service department, it was concluded that the sensor embedded in the passenger side is malfunctioning and must be replaced. There was a recall in 2008 for the same model year with a similar malfunction of the airbag sensor (NHTSA campaign id number: 08V384000) also, in that recall it states: " BMW is extending the warranty to 10 years from first registration without any mileage limit to the following vehicles: My 2006 6-series, 3-series (standard seat), my 2004-2005 Z4, my 2004-2006 7-series, my 2006 X5, and my 2004-2006 5-series (comfort seat). Under the extended warranty program, the occupant detection mat in a vehicle that experiences this specific issue will be replaced at no charge to the customer" however, the local BMW dealer says they cannot honor that warranty.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 012011

325

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 325I. The contact stated that the front passenger air bag and seat belt lights remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who performed a diagnostic test and located a failure at the air bag sensor. The manufacturer denied assistance with repairs because the VIN was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 08V384000 (air bags:frontal). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 96,000 and the current mileage was 102,000. The VIN was not available.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Dec 062011

325

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 325. The contact stated that the air bag warning light and passenger side seat belt light on was illuminated. The contact stated that the seat belt warning light would illuminate even with the seat occupied and the seat belt in use. The contact did not take the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic test or repairs. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Moore Park, CA, USA

Oct 152011

325

I've lately been experiencing an issue with my vehicle where when a passenger sits in the front passenger seat, two icons on my dash come on indicating that safety features are disabled; I get an airbag disable icon in the dash along with the roof lining of my vehicle near the sos button, a text that reads, "passenger air bag disabled" and is illuminated, indicating that the passenger airbag is disabled. Also a 'seat belt' icon shows in the dashboard despite it being clicked in. NHTSA action number: EA08001 thankfully due to NHTSA, the manufacturer, bmwna, was forced to recall a total of 200,000 vehicles with this exact same issue. According to the NHTSA listing, my vehicle is covered under a mass recall of the 'sensor mat' located in the passenger seat of various BMW models to detect when a passenger is sitting on the seat which then triggers the sensor to ready the airbag in the event of an accident. My model 2006 BMW 325I (with sports and premium package) is mentioned in the vehicle list, both by manufacturer make (BMW), model (3-series/ 325I), and specifically the type of seat, being sports package. I have taken my vehicle to the BMW dealership where I purchased it from to get the issue looked at as the safety of myself and my passengers was a prime consideration when purchasing the vehicle in the first place. I was informed by the service advisor that my vehicle was not covered and that I should pay out of pocket or contact bmwna. I've contacted them and they denied me coverage explaining my vehicle does not fall under the recall. I firmly believe that I am being asked to pay exorbitant repair fees to fix basic safety systems despite that my car should fall under the recall as it is experiencing the exact same issues. My car is 'babied' and to be experiencing a failure of safety systems is extremely nerve-wracking. Thank you for your time.

- Duarte, CA, USA

Oct 012011

325 6-cyl

A few weeks ago when I was driving with a passenger my airbag light came and all sorts of cautions popped up on my I drive about the passenger air bag and seat belt restraints. Later on that day when I did not have a passenger with me everything was fine. Now almost every time I have a passenger with me the light comes on. From all the research I have been doing on this was a recall for this same exact problem but only on the early model 2006 325I. So I called BMW usa earlier today gave them my VIN and my 2006 325I was not apart of the recall! which I do not understand because the recall should have covered all the 2006 because there were a lot more cases of this happening to even the late model 325I. So is there any way my VIN can be added to the recall so I can get this safety issue resolved?

- Beaufort, SC, USA

Oct 112010

325 6-cyl

1. speedometer accuracy! the speedo on my 2006 325I was off by 10%. at 80mph on the speedo, actual speed was 72. At 30 actual was 27. I have been pulled by a cop twice because of this problem. 2. passenger restrain error message the air bag warning light illuminated and a message displayed on the message board stating that the passenger restraint had malfunctioned.

- Keller, TX, USA

May 282010

325

This complaint is in regards to NHTSA id #08V384000. The air bag warning lamp, seat belt lamp and the passenger air bag "on-off" lamp will not turn off. I contacted BMW via the phone number provided by your department and also visited my local BMW dealer and they both say that my car doesn't fall under said recall. My car is a BMW 2006 330I with sports seats, which is one of the cars listed as being defective by your department. However, BMW stated that the recall is for a specific number of airbag sensor matts that were damaged during shipping and that my car's matt was not part of this batch. Since my car is experiencing the same symptoms as those under the recall, and is actually one of the cars listed in your report, it's safe to say that the faulty airbag sensor issue goes beyond just the batch BMW is claiming were damaged. Even if this is true, and that specific batch of air bag sensors were damaged during shipping, then what's to say that my air bag sensor wasn't also damaged during shipping even if it was part of another batch. The logical conclusion, however, would indicate that the sensors being damaged during shipping is false and that there is in fact a flaw with the sensor itself. This is evident in the fact that BMW produced an updated version of the sensor and that my sensor though not part of the so called damaged batch is also experiencing the same exact symptoms. If the cause of the faulty sensors were due to being damaged during shipping then why need to create an updated version. The logical thing to do would be to ensure the safe delivery of the sensors, not create a new version. I've owned many vehicles with this same feature and have never had any problems. BMW claiming that the symptoms of my sensor having the same symptoms as the damaged batch is just a coincidence is a far cry. At the very least a new investigation should be done. Thank you.

- Visalia, CA, USA

Sep 052009

325

Airbags and seat belt release were suddenly disabled. Took the car to the dealer and was notified that the rear lower belt release module (part # 72116975363) had been made non-operational due to a liquid spill on the left side of the rear seat. This caused the entire airbag system and seat belt system to fail. This also short circuited the cable (part #61129130173) BMW states that these parts are not covered under warranty due to " outside influences". spills inside the car should not disable and cause a short circuit to the airbag and seat belt security system.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 312008

325

I was driving about 10 mph in traffic on Friday, Oct. 31, 2008, at 5 P.M., in houston, when my 2006 BMW 325I began smoking in the passenger compartment and burst into flames by the time I got it parked. I first noticed the air conditioner was not functioning properly and then smoke immediately began filling the car. The car was totaled by the time the hfd arrived. The car was in good condition and had no recent service or problems. It had no previous electrical problems. The ac just began blowing warm air, and smoke started pouring into the compartment from above and below the dashboard - not from the ac. The car was running fine until it burst into flames. It had to be a mechanical defect or an electrical short of some kind.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 282006

325

: the contact stated that the vehicle was in an accident, hitting a deer which caused injuries to contact's neck. After during the accident, the air bags did not deploy. The accident was reported to the insurance company. On the second day after the vehicle was purchased, the seatbelt light illuminated.

- Kettle Falls, WA, USA

Jun 122006

325 6-cyl

: the contact stated upon purchase, the seat belt light flashed intermittently, when the seat belt was latched. Then, while traveling 50 mph, the vehicle struck a deer. The seat belt did not restrain the driver and no air bags deployed. There was damage to the grill area, the vehicle was driven away from the scene and has not been inspected by a mechanic. The driver sustained minor injuries. Updated 8/14/2006 -

- Kettle Falls, WA, USA