2006 BMW 330 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW 330:

2006 BMW 330 Owner Comments (Page 8 of 12)

Jun 062012

330 6-cyl

After ~50,00 miles the passenger restraint system malfunction notification started to appear on the center console. The message continued to appear randomly, and now at ~70,000 miles, the message is permanently on. The message seems to convey that the airbags will not deploy in an accident. BMW has refused to fix the issue.

- San Martin, CA, USA

Apr 272013

330 6-cyl

Passenger sat in the front passenger seat. Warning light appeared on dashboard indicating the airbag has been turned off. This issue is similar to NHTSA campaign id number: 08V384000. However, although same model and year, my vehicle is not covered under this campaign.

- Cupertino, CA, USA

May 302013

330 6-cyl

The following message (fault in passenger-restraint system affecting airbag, belt tensioner or belt force limiter) appeared on the display immediately after starting the car. Every time the car is started the warning appears. The warning remains as long as the car is running. This car has sport seats. Dealer service department claims this is not covered by the previous recall.

- Southborough, MA, USA

Jun 092013

330 6-cyl

I have a 2006 BMW 330xi sport and when a passenger sits in the car, I receive a passenger airbag malfunction light. I was told by park ave BMW in NJ that my vehicle does not qualify under the recall. Recall id # 57362 - air bags:frontal recall date Aug 05, 2008 recall date: Aug 05, 2008 model affected: 2006 BMW 3-series summary: BMW is recalling 200,000 my 2006 3 series sport seat, my 2004-2006 5 series standard and sport seat, and my 2004-2006 X3 passenger vehicles. Depending on the manner and frequency of the front passenger's entry and exit, small cracks have developed in the mat. If this occurs, the front passenger air bags, with the exception of the head protection system, will be deactivated and the air bag warning lamp as well as the passenger air bag "on-off" lamp will be illuminated. Consequences: In this situation the front passenger air bags will not deploy even if a sufficiently severe accident would occur and occupant protection provided by the system would not be possible. Remedy: Dealers will rework the front passenger seat sensor mat so that external force application to the seat does not cause a crack to the mat. The recall began on November 6, 2008. BMW will also extend the warranty on these vehicles to 10 years from first registration without any mileage limit. Owners may contact BMW at 1-800-525-7417. Potential units affected: 200000 notes: BMW of North America, llc.

- Edgewater, NJ, USA

Jun 032013

330 6-cyl

My vehicle has an airbag/seatbelt light eliminated on the dash. BMW has diagnosed it as a failed passenger seat mat sensor. 2006 330I sports seats were recalled for this item in 2008. My vehicle which has sports seats was never called for the recall. The manufacturer has also extended warranty for 10 years on all 3 series models with out the sports seat option for this sensor, but for some reason they will not service my vehicle as warranty or recall work. I have talked to two separate dealerships and BMW directly. They said my only option would be to file a complaint and that the government would have to warrant a recall on this vehicle and combination of options. This does not make any sense! this is a safety concern, as of right now the vehicles airbag system on the passenger side will not function if in an accident.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 282013

330 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 330I. The contact stated that the passenger restraint warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the passenger seat mat sensor was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V384000 (air bags). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 117,350 and the current mileage was 117,409.

- Pipe Creek, TX, USA

May 252013

330 6-cyl

My car began displaying a "passenger restraint failure" identical to the recall in 2008 (BMW id#57362 NHTSA id# 08V384000). I have the exact model and trim (2006 330I with sport package) as the recall, but upon contacting BMW of North America, they stated my vehicle's VIN 'does not qualify' for the recall. I find this ridiculous, as it is a known defect (thus the recall) for the model and trim (sport seats) that are in my car. This is a clear safety defect but BMW refuses to repair it. Instead, I am facing an $800 repair which is unconscionable. I should not have to pay to repair a known safety defect with the car! BMW recall id # 57362 - air bags:frontal recall date Aug 05, 2008 recall date: Aug 05, 2008 model affected: 2006 BMW 3-series summary: BMW is recalling 200,000 my 2006 3 series sport seat, my 2004-2006 5 series standard and sport seat, and my 2004-2006 X3 passenger vehicles. Depending on the manner and frequency of the front passenger's entry and exit, small cracks have developed in the mat. If this occurs, the front passenger air bags, with the exception of the head protection system, will be deactivated and the air bag warning lamp as well as the passenger air bag "on-off" lamp will be illuminated. Consequences: In this situation the front passenger air bags will not deploy even if a sufficiently severe accident would occur and occupant protection provided by the system would not be possible. Remedy: Dealers will rework the front passenger seat sensor mat so that external force application to the seat does not cause a crack to the mat. The recall began on November 6, 2008. BMW will also extend the warranty on these vehicles to 10 years from first registration without any mileage limit. Owners may contact BMW at 1-800-525-7417. Potential units affected: 200000 notes: BMW of North America, llc.

- Bixby, OK, USA

May 272013

330 6-cyl

My car began displaying a "passenger restraint failure" which appears identical to the a recall in 2008 (see below description). I have the exact model and trim (2006 330I with sport package) as the recall, but upon contacting BMW of North America, they stated my vehicle's VIN 'does not qualify' for the recall. I find this ridiculous, as it is a known defect (thus the recall) for the model and trim (sport seats) that are in my car. This is a clear safety defect but BMW refuses to repair it. Instead, I am facing an $800-$1200 repair which is unconscionable. I should not have to pay to repair a known safety defect with the car!!! recall id # 57362 - air bags:frontal recall date Aug 05, 2008 recall date: Aug 05, 2008 model affected: 2006 BMW 3-series summary: BMW is recalling 200,000 my 2006 3 series sport seat, my 2004-2006 5 series standard and sport seat, and my 2004-2006 X3 passenger vehicles. Depending on the manner and frequency of the front passenger's entry and exit, small cracks have developed in the mat. If this occurs, the front passenger air bags, with the exception of the head protection system, will be deactivated and the air bag warning lamp as well as the passenger air bag "on-off" lamp will be illuminated. Consequences: In this situation the front passenger air bags will not deploy even if a sufficiently severe accident would occur and occupant protection provided by the system would not be possible. Remedy: Dealers will rework the front passenger seat sensor mat so that external force application to the seat does not cause a crack to the mat. The recall began on November 6, 2008. BMW will also extend the warranty on these vehicles to 10 years from first registration without any mileage limit. Owners may contact BMW at 1-800-525-7417. Potential units affected: 200000 notes: BMW of North America, llc.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

May 072013

330 6-cyl

The airbag system light and seatbelt light illuminated unexpectedly after driving for a short distance. No modifications have ever been made to the vehicle, as I am the original owner. I received a recall notice from the factory regarding the "passenger seats air bag component failure" but no further claims of responsibility. I received an additional warranty for failure in the passenger seat air bag system, but none covering the entire safety system, which I believe to be the case for my vehicle. I project that I will be charged for a safety system failure that is not an any way, shape or form to be my responsibility. Please address this issue.

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Sep 012012

330

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 330xi. The contact stated that the front passenger side air warning light flickered on and off. The failure progressed until the air bag warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacture advised that the vehicle was not included in the manufacturer's air bag recall campaign. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 26,000 and the current mileage was 30,000.

- Antioch , CA, USA

Mar 062013

330 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 330I. The contact stated that the SRS warning lamp was illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 113,000.

- Farmersville, OH, USA

Mar 252013

330 6-cyl

For no reason the passenger and rear driver side seatbelt and airbag light came on while driving and stayed on forever. My 2006 BMW 325I has standard seat.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Mar 212013

330 6-cyl

Airbag light illuminating and message displaying airbag system malfunction when passenger seated in the passenger seat. There is an open recall as per BMW usa that includes 200,000 vehicles with "sport seats" but our vehicle with "premium seats" is not included. The passenger seat sensor which is defective under the recall may be common and this recall should be extended to more vehicles. BMW usa has confirmed that our VIN number is not part of the recall.

- Marlboro, NJ, USA

Mar 122013

330 6-cyl

The sensor in the passenger seat is malfunctioning causing the computer to disable the passenger airbag. This was a recall on other vehicles of the same model and year, but BMW North America is stating that my VIN is not part of the recall. This is a major safety issue that can cause serious injury or death!

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Feb 192013

330 6-cyl

I have a passenger restraint system malfunction problem. I went to BMW dealership last week. But they told me my car is not on campaign so I have to fix out of my pocket. However, as I found on the recall list like below vehicle make / model: Model year(s): BMW / 3 series 2006 BMW / 5 series 2004-2006 BMW / X3 2004-2006 summary: BMW is recalling 200,000 my 2006 3 series sport seat, my 2004-2006 5 series standard and sport seat, and my 2004-2006 X3 passenger vehicles. Depending on the manner and frequency of the front passenger's entry and exit, small cracks have developed in the mat. If this occurs, the front passenger air bags, with the exception of the head protection system, will be deactivated and the air bag warning lamp as well as the passenger air bag "on-off" lamp will be illuminated. My point is what is different my car series and above 3 series why my car is not belong to under warranty. It is exactly the same issue. I do not understand why my car can't fix at dealership under warranty. If there is exception cars, I think it should clearly statement that is why or exception reason even same model. It is so inconvenience. This information is so confusing for vehicle owner. I really want to listen why my car is not on the campaign and I want to figure it out.

- Franklin, WI, USA

Feb 282012

330

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 330I sport. The contact stated that the front passenger seat mat sensor malfunctioned, causing the air bags and passenger seat belt to become inoperable. In addition, the air bag warning light was continuously illuminated. The manufacturer was notified of the issue, who stated that there was not a recall for the vehicle and offered no assistance for the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 94,212.

- Cottonwood, CA, USA

Jul 012012

330

I have a 2006 BMW 330I. My airbag light is on due to a crack in the mat in the passenger seat. I took it to the dealer to be diagnosed. It will cost me over $1000 to have it repaired! my VIN is not included in the recall even though it has the same problems as the recall! this means my airbag won't deploy if an accident were to happen! I have four teenagers and two of them drive this vehicle! I think my children's safety is of the utmost importance! teen drivers are at a higher risk of accidents. All of the 2006 330I need to be included in the recall! I found many other complaints about the same problems!

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Feb 072013

330 6-cyl

Warning light has appeared indicating air bag fault. Code check reveals a defect in the passenger seat airbag sensor. Numerous reports of same fault have been reported and recalls have been issued for same model in us and Canada however does not include this VIN. Bmwna and BMW Canada both deny responsibility for this known defect for this VIN. BMW North America may be evading responsibility to repair this safety issue by only recognizing accountability for very few specific vehicles.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Feb 062013

330

Driver air bag light came on 2006 BMW 330I while driving at 30 mph in city and its still on. The car have just 19K approx miles. I called the dealer and they said my VIN doesn't have any recall and will charge me $171 to just diagnose. I looked online and found recall # 08V384000 on same issue. Posting on Feb 7th 2013. This is a safety concern and I need to get it fixed as airbag won't be deployed in case of accident. Hope BMW fixes it.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Oct 112011

330

Airbag light has came on and off and now stays on due to a crack in the map on the passenger seat. My VIN does not fit the recall on the exact thing for other vehicles.

- Shelby, NC, USA