NHTSA — Structure: Body Problems

2008 Buick Enclave (Page 1 of 2)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Buying the first model year of any vehicle is rarely a good idea. You become a guinea pig for the automaker and they are really not nice to guinea pigs.

The 2008 Enclave has a wide enough range of problems to issue a warning. There's transmission failure under 90k miles, new power steering units costing over $1,300, and enough engine complaints to NHTSA to scare anyone away.

2008 Buick Enclave body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Buick Enclave:

2008 Buick Enclave Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 242016

Enclave

Lift gate stops at upper lift position and starts to close with out notice. If your not paying attention to full operation of lift gate can come down stricking a persons head. Seems that automation safey feature would be to stay open !!! not close unexspectedly??

- Flint, MI, USA

Oct 012015

Enclave

I bought this 2008 Buick Enclave a year and a half ago with less than 80,000 miles on it, and it's been giving me transmission problems already. I almost got stranded and couldn't go aby faster than 30 mph. It almost cut off on me in the middle of the road. My transmission and engine both would lose power and wouldn't go past first geat. Myrpm hand went all the way up to 4 which it normally stays between 1 and 2, and my gas hand went from full, to half, full, and almost empty in a few seconds. Engine rides rough and has to take off speed. Transmission and engine problems were advised by Buick as being a known issue but apparently they haven't stayed true to their name "Buick." This is a safety hazard as I could've gotten easily hit with no take off speed as it barely moves. It has happened 5 times with these same issues but dealership kept saying that no codes would pop up to see what's the issue until a week ago, it did it again for about 5th time and I took it to the dealership who advised all kinds of codes were popping up with my engine and transmission. Also the writing on my control buttons have worn off and my front suspension needs replaced and my driver seat tracks which are not covered under my warranty. Buick nerds to hold true to their name and compensate or replace these detected 2008 Buick Enclaves. Buick is not holding true to their name. I'm very dissatisfied and is my first time being a Buick owner. Now the dealership is trying to fix these issues, bit I shouldn't have to pay anything.

- Heath Springs, SC, USA

Dec 102015

Enclave

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Enclave. In rainy conditions, water drained inside the vehicle onto the front driver and passenger side floorboards. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the drain pipes that ran along the side of the vehicle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Mar 012016

Enclave

The driver side inside door handle broke away from the mechanism. In order to exit the vehicle I had to roll down the window and use the exterior door handle. Locks, windows, and exterior handle work properly. I drove to work and it worked fine. When I parked and tried to get out it would not work. It happened originally in 10/2014. The dealership told me I had to replace the entire door, which I could not afford, so they "jerry-rigged" it with a screw and charged me $125 labor. It has now happened again, and another dealership said I can replace the interior mechanism for about $350. I contacted Buick cs regarding the issue, and was told that due to the age of my vehicle they could do nothing. This is a safety issue. In an emergency, I would not be able to exit my vehicle. And as a person with a disability this is a primary concern. On the internet, you can find hundreds of people who have had the same issue with the Buick Enclave and the GMC acadia. This needs to be investigated for possible recall.

- Irving, TX, USA

Jun 012013

Enclave

The liftgate is broken. The hydraulics supporting it will not keep it in an open position and it falls if not held up manually. It also electronically misfires and will shut with the liftgate motor and cannot be stopped. It has closed on both me and my child. It is extremely dangerous and I am frustrated that it has been recalled with no repair date forthcoming.

- Bristow, OK, USA

Jun 302015

Enclave

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Enclave. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V415000 (structure), but the part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Inverness, FL, USA

Jun 302015

Enclave

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Enclave. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V415000 (structure); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Wausau, WI, USA

Oct 062014

Enclave

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that the stability traction control warning light continuously illuminated. The contact mentioned that every time the failure recurred, the vehicle would drastically decelerate making it extremely difficult to operate. The contact had to turn the vehicle off and on in order to reset the computer. The vehicle was able to restart each time but the failure was getting progressively worse. The vehicle was to be taken to a dealer to inspect and diagnose the failure. Also, the contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 15V415000 (structure) and was waiting on the permanent remedy and part to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repair. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Blytheville, AR, USA

Jul 112015

Enclave

On 7/11/2015 when I opened the lift gate of my vehicle, the gate would not stay open. It slowly started to close. This problem persisted for about 4-5 days. About 6 days later, the gate was working fine. On 7/19/15 I opened the lift gate and was standing underneath it getting my child's stroller out of the back of my SUV. I heard a loud pop and the lift gate came crashing down on the top of my head. I was then trapped under the lift gate and struggled to get free (I had the stroller in my arms). I was able to free myself and locate my sunglasses (which were on top of my head when the gate crashed down) about five feet away. At this point, the lift gate was completely closed. I tried opening it again and it came crashing down. Currently, the lift gate will not stay open and I am unable to use the gate, and therefore unable to use the interior back area of my car. In terms of injury, I had a bump on my head, frequent headaches, and persistent neck pain.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Mar 242013

Enclave 6-cyl

It was a rainy day and my passenger side floor was soaking wet and there was water marks on the above upholstery. It took days to get it out and the dealership says it was bought as is. I have been researching online and there should be a recall for this because several people have complaints on this same issue.

- Leesville, SC, USA

Dec 192014

Enclave 6-cyl

While braking aggressively during heavy rain, rainwater poured from the passenger side headliner onto the dash. Rainwater has been leaking into the car for the past several weeks. This issue was apparently repaired three (3) prior times in 2008, but has recurred. General Motors has only offered me one free hour of diagnosis time. This is a major safety issue regarding driver visibility, distracting the driver and could effect multiple electrical systems in the vehicles dash due to the introduction of rainwater. The second issue is the vehicle's transmission is failing. Transmission loses power while shifting from 3rd to 4th gear, then abruptly jerks into gear. The car has less than 64,000 miles.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Dec 172014

Enclave 6-cyl

The tailgate/liftgate is broken for the second time. The first time it was replaced was when it had only 40,403 miles. Now, it is broken again at 77,000. The hatch will go up automatically, but doesn't hold so it comes crashing down. This is very dangerous! am I to expect that every 30,000-40,000 it needs to be replaced?

- Stocktn, CA, USA

Jun 022014

Enclave 6-cyl

A small grommet failed allowing the sunroof drain located inside the roof to drain water to the interior front drivers side. The leak was not easily detected until a moldy smell developed inside the car, humidity issues, and the radio stopped working. The amplifier located near the leak shorted out and failed. (no fire luckily) after $1700 worth of damages and repairs were made by Buick, this design defect was corrected at full cost to the owner. This water leak could have easily caused more problems and possibly even a electrical fire. Other Enclave owners with similar problems should form a class action suit. GM does not take responsibility for this obvious design flaw even though the Buick Enclave forums have numerous similar complaints. GM's response was to offer a $2500 credit on a new vehicle purchase. I certainly have no need to ever purchase another problem.

- Brick, NJ, USA

Apr 172013

Enclave 6-cyl

The moonroof is leaking water into the interior. The water is soaking the inside of the vehicle potentially causing problems with other systems.

- Springfield, OR, USA

Sep 032013

Enclave

I have a 2008 Buick Enclave, the sunroof is leaking which is causing damage to other parts of the vehicle. This should be a recall!

- Rock, WV, USA

Nov 042013

Enclave

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Enclave. The contact stated the sunroof tube failed causing water to penetrate into the vehicle from the sunroof, the sun visor and the windshield. The drivers side carpet and floor had water damage. The manufacturer stated the vehicle was not included in the manufacturers special warranty for the sunroof tube draining. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 77,000.

- Martensdale, IA, USA

Jun 082013

Enclave

During wet weather, the power steering seems to shut down and making it very hard to steer the car. This has happened many times over the past two years. It seems to happen after just starting out and driving thru a small puddle of water and after a few miles seems to operate normally. This is the same complaint I have seen from other owners and needs to be considered for a recall because this is an accident waiting to happen. We had one close call, how ever do to the low speed was able to stop the car in time. Somehow water must be getting into the steering components.

- Maitland, FL, USA

May 312011

Enclave 6-cyl

The vehicle has had a re-occurring roof leak for ~2 years. The vehicle has been to two different dealers for a total of 5 times for repair. Water leaks down the pillars between the windshield and front door, the pillars between the front and back doors, and from the lights in the back. The water collects in and under the carpet and has an odor. There is a mold concern.

- Venetia, PA, USA

Feb 012012

Enclave 6-cyl

Our 2008 Buick Enclave began leaking water onto and under the dashboard from the sunroof. Not only has this been a known problem since 2008, but there was an actual recall that year to fix this leak. For some reason our VIN number was excluded from the original recall but it is experiencing the exact same issues that the recall was to address. This leak can cause several safety issues including corrosion and failure of airbag systems, the fuse panel, the blower motor that operates the defrost/defog function, and a buildup of mold and mildew. The dealer told me that my fuse panel is shot and needs to be replaced. I suspect that I have other damaged electrical components as well. I have attached the url's of several sites which reference the extent to which this problem is occurring with these vehicles. It is obvious that the initial recall did not cover all of the vehicles with the underlying problem and now we are stuck with a dealer quote for $1900 repair that does not include the blower motor and airbags. I would appreciate a prompt response as I can't drive in the rain and am concerned about hidden damage that could affect the car's safety. Thanks. www.youtube.com/watch"V=fnykjlhusxi video of water-damaged damaged blower motor due to this known problem with the leaking sunroofs. www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=3411.0 contains the 2008 Enclave recall notice www.faqs.org/car/Buick-Enclave-2008/visibility/ lists the GM technical bulletins for this Enclave leak issue www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=2039.0 34 pages of posts regarding the leaking sunroof issue townhall-talk.edmunds.com/webx?14@189.V7qqaxgahvh@.F17fc13/53#msg53 several pages of complaints on an edmunds forum www.edmunds.com/search/results.html"Q=Enclave+sunroof+leaks&src=usergen&ac=&X=29&Y=11 etc.

- Roswell, GA, USA

Dec 202010

Enclave

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that there was a water leak in the front and rear ends of the vehicle. As a result, the electrical system was damaged. Both the dealer and manufacturer were notified, but denied assistance with repairs. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unavailable and the current mileage was 12,770.

- Seeter Park, TX, USA