CarComplaints.com Notes: Buying the first model year of any vehicle is rarely a good idea. You become a guinea pig for the automaker and they are really not nice to guinea pigs.

The 2008 Enclave has a wide enough range of problems to issue a warning. There's transmission failure under 90k miles, new power steering units costing over $1,300, and enough engine complaints to NHTSA to scare anyone away.

2008 Buick Enclave engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Buick Enclave:

2008 Buick Enclave Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jun 282013

Enclave

We brought this car from landers Ford collierville in 19apr13 and I have had to get the brakes redone, and a valve with the air conditioner fixed. But we went to sunrise GMC on 28jun13 and they advised us that we need a brand new transmission in the car due to a crack in some part of the transmission. I haven't had the car that long and now it needs a new transmission. Landers Ford knew that car had transmission problems. GMC advised us that this is a problem that happens in the Buick Enclaves and the arcadias. So if you know that this car had these problems, then why haven't a recalled been done on the cars. We did research this past week and everyone complains about the transmission. We also called GMC and they advised me that since I brought the car from a Ford dealership and not GMC that they can not replace the transmission. But they can give us 70/30 we pay 70 percent of the repairs which I can not afford. They advised us that the car came off the line in 2007 and that is why the car is 10 months out of warranty.

- Memphis , TN, USA

Dec 152012

Enclave 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that while driving 58 mph, the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the check engine and stop vehicle warning lights. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the engine needed to be rebuilt. The vehicle was repaired but the problem persisted. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000.

- Juneau, WI, USA

May 152013

Enclave

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that while traveling 55 mph, the engine seized without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the contact was advised that the engine would need replacing. The vehicle was not repaired. In addition, the contact stated that there was an abnormal white substance on the wheels that could not be removed. The dealer did not have a recommendation or a remedy for the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and the current mileage was 82,000.

- Highland Lakes, NJ, USA

Mar 292013

Enclave 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that while traveling 55 mph, the engine seized and the vehicle came to a stop. The contact had the vehicle towed to a dealer and the engine had to be replaced. The manufacturer stated that the failure was due to user error. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage and current mileage was 82,000.

- Bloomfield, NY, USA

Apr 222013

Enclave 6-cyl

My 2008 Buick Enclave only has 54000 miles on it and the transmission had to be replaced. The rpms would race up but the car would not move. The air conditioner also quit working at 39,000 miles but I waited until this breakdown to fix it because it was the beginning of the cool season. The high pressure line to the condenser and evaporator had to be replaced.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Mar 042013

Enclave

As I begin to accelerate the RPM's would go to 4 but my speed would only be 25mph. This has happened several times. When I pull over, turn the car off, start it again, then it runs like it should. I contacted the dealer and they said I needed a new transmission which will cost $4000. I have researched this problem and it seems that many people have had this problem but so far no recall. I have read that a part in the transmission is not properly hear treated which is the cause of the transmission problems.

- Fairview , TN, USA

May 252012

Enclave

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Enclave. While driving approximately 15 mph, the engine warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact noticed black smoke coming from under the hood. The contact stopped the vehicle on the shoulder of the road and the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was towed to an auto repair shop where the mechanic referred the contact to the dealer for further assistance. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer nor repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000.

- Newark, DE, USA