Transmission Failure

2008 Buick Enclave (Page 1 of 5)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Buick dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Buying the first model year of any vehicle is rarely a good idea. You become a guinea pig for the automaker and they are really not nice to guinea pigs.

The 2008 Enclave has a wide enough range of problems to issue a warning. There's transmission failure under 90k miles, new power steering units costing over $1,300, and enough engine complaints to NHTSA to scare anyone away.

8.7

$3,467.00

1. replace transmission (46 reports)
  3. repair to transmission (6 reports)
  4. replace (6 reports)
  5. rebuilt transmission (4 reports)
  6. replace wave plate and fluid pump (4 reports)
2008 Buick Enclave transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Buick Enclave:

2008 Buick Enclave Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

May 112016

Enclave CXL 3.6L V6

Very unfortunate as we bought the Buick enclave due to the reliability and name of Buick and that it's a GM vehicle. We were confident as we had bought a 2007 Saturn Outlook and have had great success with 145,000 miles transmission was replaced as it hit 125,000 but was under warranty that I bought as an extended warranty,

Along with the cost to have to rebuild the transmission and or replace it on the Buick enclave I've been informed that the camshaft is having issues or the timing chain etc. this also adding to the cost to repair his inclined us to dump the car take a loss and move forward onto a new model of some other brand. Funny as GM did a recall on my Saturn Outlook and covered the cost of the transmission as well, Why they've not done this with the Buick Enclave I'll never know. I have been a very satisfied GM owner for 32 years but I'm now leaving the MFG.

- , Paw Paw, MI, USA

Apr 032016

Enclave CXL

It seems to be a recurring theme on this site regarding Buick and their lack of owning up to issues with the 2008 Enclaves. I will NEVER purchased another Buick again! I bought this car used in 2011 and have had nothing but problems. Every time it is fixed, I hear the old " that should do you for the rest of the life of the car" what a lie.

After having the car less than 1 year, the transmission went up. Had that replaced for over $5,000. Then about 18 months later the timing chain went up, had that replaced and paid about $4,000 for that, then last year had more transmission issues and found out it needed a Throttle body replaced. Again, had that done. 2 weeks later more issues and was told the transmission needed to be flushed. SO that was done.

Then last night the Stabilitrak, traction control lights start flashing. I did everything I was told. Luckily I was able to get the car home.

Found out that I now need a Wave Plate and probably a new Transmission and possibly timing chain. When does this end??? I spoke to Buick only to find out there was special coverage on the wave plate that I was not told about 3 times I had things fixed but it is no longer valid because I have over 120k miles on my car. I guess they know not to say anything before it expires.

Overall- STAY AWAY FROM BUICK ENCLAVES- they are the worst cars ever made.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Sep 102015

Enclave CXL

This is ridiculous! Should not be happening at 120k!!!!!

- , Edmonton, AB, Canada

Jan 302015

Enclave LX V6

Pitre GMC on Eagle Ranch Road in Albuquerque fought to get it covered under warranty. It was rebuilt one month earlier. Then, it went out one month later (this complain) and had to be rebuilt, again. This time we were out of town in Durango, CO. That GMC dealership did not want to cover it and tried to blame Pitre for it going out so soon. Pitre fought to get that one covered as well as the first rebuild one month earlier. Seems to me that a transmission going out one month later after being rebuilt is a given that it should be covered. Today, two years later with 88,000 miles it will not shift out of first. I will add that as a third complaint once I find out what is wrong with it, other than the fact that car must be a lemon. Never buy the first year of a car that comes on the market.

- , Albuquerque, NM, USA

Dec 202014

Enclave LX V6

Pitre GMC on Eagle Ranch Road in Albuquerque fought to get it covered under warranty. It was rebuilt. Then, it went out one month later and had to be rebuilt, again. That time we were out of town in Durango, CO. I will add that as a separate complaint. That GMC dealership did not want to cover it and tried to blame Pitre for it going out so soon. Pitre fought to get that one covered as well. Seems to me that a transmission going out one month later after being rebuilt is a given that it should be covered. Today, two years later with 88,000 miles it will not shift out of first. I will add that as a third complaint once I find out what is wrong with it, other than the fact that is must be a lemon.

- , Albuquerque, NM, USA

Dec 112015

Enclave CLX V6

I have had problems from the water pump to having the steering column replaced. Now the transmission is gone. It start jerking a long time back. Over a year ago all these problems came one after the other.

I am So disappointed in this car. I have no money to fix this car, my truck is in the shop, it's 12 days til Christmas and I have no car to drive. This Enclave is not worth the money. Once again I make one step forward and get pulled two steps backward.

Charles

- , Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Nov 132015

Enclave CX 6

I've only had this car for 4 years, and now this is the third transmission issue that I'm having!!!! The first time it was still under the extended warranty. The wave plate broke, so thank goodness it only cost me $100 deductible. A year and a half later, something else messed up inside the transmission (what I have no idea) this time I had to pay out of pocket, which cost me over $2,000! Now less than two years later, my car is acting the same way it did the first two times before the transmission went out! I'll be taking it by the dealership again tomorrow, so they can tell me what's going on. I wished I could just tell them to keep this piece of crap!!!!

- , MCDONOUGH, GA, USA

Sep 202015

Enclave LX

Transmission failure. AGAIN. For the second time. Still less than 100K miles. Thank goodness it will be covered under extended warranty this time as Buick has finally decided to own up to their faulty manufacturing.

- , Allen, TX, USA

Oct 012014

Enclave LX

My Enclave started to have strange issues... would be really sluggish when accelerating and would then lurch or slam into gear. Would stall out when going around a corner and trying to accelerate. Engine would rev up or jerk while sitting at red lights. Then, the car started dropping out of gear. Would not shift into drive, could not reverse, etc.

Took it in for repairs and discovered it was the wave plate. The wave plates that were put into these cars were apparently faulty (not tempered correctly) and have a tendency to shatter. They fill up your transmission with trash which causes the issues listed above, ultimately requiring that the transmission be replaced. The wave plate is about a $6 part, and could have easily been recalled and replaced saving thousands of dollars.

After researching on the internet, I discovered that this was a commonly reported issue that Buick was ignoring. This happened to my Enclave at 70,000 miles, but I had just passed the 5 year warranty mark (by a couple of months). Buick would not take responsibility for the damage and I had to pay for a new transmission out of my own pocket - over $5,000!

About a year later, I received a letter saying that they had at last decided to acknowledge the failure of their product and offered reimbursement to the thousands of people who had to have their transmissions replaced. So we got our money back, but guess what? My transmission failed again this week. Same issues. I'll report that one on a different complaint along with all the other problems this car has.

It's paid off, which is the ONLY reason I have kept it this long.

- , Allen, TX, USA

May 152015

Enclave

THE COMPLAINT IS ALSO ABOUT THE DEALER ZAPATA AUTO CENTER LOCATED AT 1106 ZAPATA HWY LAREDO TX 78043. THEY TOOK $6,000 DOWN, THE FIRST TIME I DROVE THE VEHICLE PIECES CAME OFF AND THE VEHICLE DISMANTLED ON HIGHWAY, THIS DEALER CAME TO TOW THE CAR CLAIM THEY SPENT $2,000 TO REPAIR IT, AND WANT ME TO PAY FOR REPAIRS THE TOTAL PRICE FOR THIS PIECE OF GARBAGE WAS $18,523.20 AND ON TOP OF THIS, THEY WANT ME TO PAY FOR REPAIRS, WELL TODAY IS SEPTEMBER 14, 2015, THE DEALER DON'T ANSWER MY CALLS, I WAS MOVING FROM LAREDO TO CONROE, THE DAY THE VEHICLE BROKE DOWN, SO I CAN'T GO BACK TO THEM BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY NEITHER TRANSPORTATION TO GO THERE, PLUS THEY WANT ME TO SIGN RELEASE FORMS ON THEIR BEHALF. PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME.

- , Laredo, TX, USA

May 072015

Enclave Chrome V6

I purchased the Enclave and thought I had a great vehicle. I was on the way back from a hour away doctors appt. when my transmission began to slip. When the tow truck driver asks me did I get a recall on my transmission. ??? I never knew anything about a recall. I never received a letter on anything. I guess they would not want me to know right? Anyway I call the GM dealer in my area and they told me my "extended warranty" is expired because I am over the 120000 miles in which GM extended the warranty. Could someone have let me known this? I could have had this done when the car first started acting up many miles ago. This is the worst experience I have ever had with a car. Never again will I buy a GM vehicle. This is one over rated car and people need to know. This vehicle cost too much to have to replace a transmission this soon.

- , Darlington, SC, USA

Jun 102015

Enclave CXL 3.6L/ 6 cyl

click to see larger images

transmission failure

I received a letter from Buick in March stating that the 2008 model Enclave may experience a cracked wave plate. At that time, I had no issues with my vehicle which only had 65,000 miles.

We purchased the vehicle used in 2010 and the mileage at that time was 41,810. My average yearly mileage is less than 5,000 miles. Out of the blue, the vehicle stops moving in the middle of a busy intersection. I was helped to the side of the road and the phone calls/headaches began.

I remembered the letter so I immediately called the Dealership (NorthBay Buick in Great Neck). I was told by Buick that it may be the transmission or .... it may not be. In order for the transmission to be covered, Buick Charged over $1,500 to drop the transmission then if the problem resulted from the wave plate we would be covered. Should the problem have not been due to the wave plate then Buick would be charging us to repair. I never bring my vehicles to the dealership for repair because they overcharge. I then contacted our local gas station who was aware of the Enclave and the transmission problem and he recommended a licensed Transmission place on Long Island. Buick's letter and the dealership was aware that we would be bringing our vehicle elsewhere being that we would be reimbursed.

We towed our vehicle, the repairs were done within one week and the cost was $4064.00. We then contacted Buick /NorthBay and the drama began. It's a very long story with back to back faxes, phone calls, rude representatives. We spoke with Corporate who sent us back to Buick. Low and behold we received a check for $1,900 and we were told by Buick that the Transmission place overcharged us.

I am at a loss. Very disappointed at Buick, spoken to rudely and my out of pocket expense over $2,100.

Be careful with the dealership. I would be curious to know if anyone did go to the dealership and how much was covered.

- , Mineola, NY, USA

Jul 192015

Enclave LX 3.6L V6

Second American made GM product that loses the transmission at 100K miles. Make a better transmission GM!

- , Escondido, CA, USA

Jul 182015

Enclave CXL 3.6L V6

On our way home form a family vacation in St Augustine Florida. Family of 4 with Aunt along as well. All was going great until I reached heavy traffic heading North on Route 77 near Mayberry, North Carolina. All of a sudden no power. Lucky there was a break in traffic to my right and I was able to get off the road. Called AAA (another bad experience) while waiting to see what options were there was almost a terrible crash. Finally was able to get a tow truck and rental cal secured from a very nice man who owned the company. Anyway, instead of being home at 9:30 or so we finally got home around 3:30 A.M. Buick still in NC and will be sent to Columbus on Monday. This will cost me about $600 bucks just to get the car home to my dealer.

Loyal GM since dad and grandfather both retired from Fisher Guide. Yes, this is the division that made the parts way back when in the USA.

Not sure why a transmission on a car this expensive at 64k miles. And by the way, this was a certified used.

Update from Sep 19, 2015: GM was aware of the issue and extended the warranty and my car was repaired. K-Plate was bad. They only covered up to $130 of the freight bill of $452 and did not cover my rental car bill.

- , Gahanna, OH, USA

Aug 222015

Enclave

Wow.. I cannot believe how many horrible times I have heard the same transmission problems. I supposedly had the transmission replaced at right around 50k under warranty and now for over a year I have had transmission related issues that Schmacher Buick has said is not related to the transmission and to replace all my engine mounts, my front struts, and my CV joints, and my plugs and all coil packs only to still have the same shuttering problem on acceleration.

Now this weekend, was on the turnpike and experienced due my transmission light came on warning me to pull over. My transmission was overheating. My piece of junk now has over 100k miles but last year when my car's problem starting to occur the car only had about 90k- only 40k more from when the transmission was supposedly rebuilt.

I have owned many other brands of cars and never had one issue with transmission. Not sure what to cause the dealership wants to continue playing the blame game even with the service recall on the wave plate issue which is most likely the issue again. Insane that we all have to go through the headaches that they are full aware of.

- , Jupiter, FL, USA

Jul 152015

Enclave

I brought this Buick Enclave never knew that this model had transmission problem. I can't afford to get it fixed. It's sitting in the garage and they are charging me 3,500 dollars and I'm so upset about it.

- , Stratford, USA

Aug 012015

Enclave CXL V6

Bought the car new in 2008. Had a transmission problem in 2011 with 45,000 miles that was covered by warranty. I recall the mechanic saying it was like a bolt or something that was not properly installed or faulty. Now at 105,000 miles, it won't shift into 2nd gear and they are charging me $1600 to fix it. Shame on Buick for knowing there is a problem with 2008 Buick Enclave transmission and doing nothing about it.

- , Bowie, USA

Jul 312015

Enclave CXL 3.6L V6

2008 Buick Enclave CXL. Transmission started slipping revving, and shifting irregularly & Jerking, Fluids and levels were all good. Took it to Repair shop, they could not even drive it into the shop. We had it towed to Buick Dealer, and called GM once we found out this issue is widespread across this model and year and Part (Transmission). I guess, put me down, as another unsatisfied customer. I spend over 40K on a SUV, that basically gave out after 7 years of service.

This is not the expectation of buying a higher end family vehicle designed to travel. We started a Claim with GM only to play the game for a week and we were finally denied for any coverage or responsibility. I am very frustrated. I have 4 Buicks today with 6 drivers in the house. I am an engineer. I studied some of the Lean, Six Sigma techniques Buick is known for. Buick stand behind your products. This is a black eye that continues to get worse for you.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Sep 122012

Enclave CX 6

I bought this piece of junk used in August 2011! About a year later the wave plate broke and left me stranded on the side of a very busy interstate! The bad thing was I took it by the dealership that morning to be checked out because the transmission was slipping really bad! The service manager told me to just bring it back when I could leave it to be completely checked out.I was heading to work, and I asked him if he thought it would be okay to drive, and he assured me it would!

Needless to say on my way home from work is when it broke down. Thank goodness I had bought the extended warranty, so it was covered with only a $100 deductible. About a year and a half after the wave plate was replaced, which I thought they had rebuilt my transmission, the stupid thing broke down on me again! This time, my extended warranty had ran out, and the dealership said it wasn't the same part as the first time, so they wouldn't even cover it! Really???? This time I paid out over $12000 to have it fixed!

This car didn't even have 100,000 miles on it at the time and already had transmission issues twice! I drove a Nissan Maxima for 15 years with over 300,000 miles and never once had transmission problems!!!! GM is so wrong for knowing about this problem and just ignoring it! I will NEVER buy another GM car as long as I live, and will definitely steer others clear of them too!!!!

- , MCDONOUGH, GA, USA

Jul 312015

Enclave CXL V6

I NOTICED GOING TO L. A. THE TRANSMISSION MADE A FUNNY GEAR CHANGE AT 70MPH. I NOTICED AFTER I STOPPED AND TOOK OFF IT HAD PROBLEMS. ON THE WAY HOME IT STARTED REVVING RPMS TO 4 TO 4 1/2 THEN BACK TO 2, ABOUT 5 OR 6 TIMES. GOT OFF FREEWAY AND IT REVVED UP AGAIN. WENT TO MAKE A LEFT AND COULDN'T GO FAST ENOUGH TO MAKE THE LIGHT SO I STOPPED IN TURNING LANE. I PUT IT IN PARK PUT IT IN DRIVE, PUT IT REVERSE... IT DID NOT MOVE. LIGHT CHANGED, THE HORNS WERE BLOWING I REVVED IT AND IT MOVED. FRIDAY NIGHT I TESTED IT IN REVERSE, AGAIN NOT MOVING. I AM TRYING TO GET A LOAN TO PAY FOR IT!!!!! HELP

- , Casa Grande, AZ, USA