2008 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 2 of 12)

Mar 242016

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving at various speeds, the steering became diffuclt to maneuver and would not automatically adjust. When the brake pedal was depressed, the vehicle veered to the right. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the power steering failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Guys Mills, PA, USA

Jan 182016

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving various speeds, the instrument panel gauges fluctuated, the power steering failed, and the transmission shifted abnormally. The security system warning indicator illuminated. The failures occurred sporadically. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 138,000. Updated 06/15/16 the consumer stated all codes read, a loss of communication. Updated 06/28/16.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Feb 192016

Cobalt

I just bought 2008 Chevy Cobalt. The seller reported the mileage initially as 112,000. At time of purchase, 150,000 approximately. However there was/is no way to view mileage on dash of car, with the exception of briefly prior to starting the vehicle. It actually shows approximately 159,000 km. Conversion of km into miles says 98,000. In addition to mileage discrepancy, there is a very strong smell of gas inside the car, the steering wheel is upside down, 2 or 3 motor and or transmission mounts are broken or not attached, right front rotor bad, no functioning blinkers or brake lights, dash lights indicate svc tire monitor needs attention, air bags need serviced, brake light stays on, the trunk release isn't working, the wiring is questionable, only one speaker works, no stereo antennae, no horn, no way to view critical engine information, such as temperature or battery life. Service engine light on constantly, seller indicated all recalls had been addressed and he was supposed to be responsible for taxes on vehicle which were included in price, but I wound up paying back registration fees from 2014. All attempts to right this have been ignored. Seller implies that the Chevrolet dealership left the car in the current condition.

- Gadsden, AL, USA

Feb 102016

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 55 mph, all the warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact stated that the power steering failed and the speedometer, fuel gauge, and tachometer needles moved back and forth and displayed inaccurate readings. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the electronic brake control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the remedy did not resolve the issue. The contact stated that the failure continued to occur intermittently. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Mapleton, IA, USA

Jun 172014

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving various speeds, there was a temporary loss of power steering and the vehicle continued normal operation. The failure recurred one to two times daily. In 2010, the manufacturer replaced the power steering motor possibly under the customer satisfaction program. The failure recurred most recently and the dealer denied to service the vehicle under NHTSA campaign number: 0V073000 (steering) due to the excessive mileage on the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000. Updated 06/15/16

- Waukegan, IL, USA

Feb 112015

Cobalt

Power steering went out while I was driving at a speed of 45 mph. I checked fuse and it was blown. I then but new fuse in and started car. The second I started the car the fuse blew again. The strang thing was that even tho the fues had blown the power steering continued to work until the car was shut off. Also my radio started changing stations by itself and airbag warning came across the dash then a couple days after that started I went to start the car and it wouldn't. radio, outside lights and blinkers, interior lights, and dash lights would all still work, but it seemed that no power was getting to the starter nor the fule pump. At this time the car still won't start

- Marietta, OH, USA

Dec 012015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 35 mph, the steering wheel became inoperable and the power steering warning light illuminated. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 105,000.

- Beckley, WV, USA

Jan 292016

Cobalt

I bought a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt for my sixteen year old daughter in 2012. She complained of the car losing power steering on occasion, but I did not know to what extent until I drove the car. The gauges would suddenly start fluctuating and the can would lose all power steering and the transmission acted as if it didn't want to shift. I took car to Chevy dealership in morehead city N.C. and they kept the car for two weeks because they could not reproduce symptoms. I was charged for inspecting car, but car was not fixed. I contacted Chevy maini headquarters and explained the situation. I informed represent I've that I did not feel safe with my daughter driving the car. She advised me not to drive the car. Problem is is that I still am making payments and insurance on vehicle my daughter ended up buying another car since then, do to this safety issue. I now have car, which I have had to drive for the last month and it is doing the same thing, yet more frequently. I again took car to dealership and he quickly diagnosed the car with having a bad battery. $200 later, I am now hopeful the car is finally fixed after years of dealing with it. No, I was wrong again. I am complete dissappointed in Chevy for making such a worthless piece of junk and then not having the integrity to owe up to it's fault in developing a substaindured product. In the process of trying to find a solution or repair for this, I have come across hundreds if not thousands of complaints about the same issue. Is someone going to have to be killed before Chevy owns up to its mistake and make it right for consumers. I am in the market for a new car, but after this experience I will not be buying a Chevy product. I truly hope that the issue at hand will bring attention to the defects Chevy is allowing. This is not just a car problem, this is peoples lives we are talking about.

- Newport, NC, USA

Jan 232016

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. While the vehicle was at a service center, the steering wheel failed to turn and seized. The power steering and service air bag lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the battery and passenger seat module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 96,000.

- South Fresno, CA, USA

Jan 092016

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 25 mph, the steering wheel seized while the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V073000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000. Updated 03/15/16

- Nanticoke, PA, USA

Dec 202015

Cobalt

"takata recall" when going slow in drive and reverse my car began to have trouble steering. It physically go to the point where I was manually turning it my self with no help from the power steering. The dash lights have gone out, none of them are currently working....I have to drive with a flash light secured to my dash just to see my gauges. I am unable to see any thing else that comes up on my dash that has to be seen by a light. My gear shift lights do not work. I must turn on the dome light in order to see the gear I shift into. Heating/ac lights are gone. Tail lights also are not working. Have changed the light bulbs and still no tail lights.

- Ravenna, OH, USA

Nov 242015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 15 mph and making a right turn, the steering wheel seized. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was placed in a complete stop and noticed that the steering wheel was extremely hard. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The dealer was contacted and recommended replacing the steering column. The approximate failure mileage was 93,000.

- Glen Mills, PA, USA

Nov 082015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 35 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the steering column. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering shaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred after the vehicle was previously serviced in 2012 under NHTSA campaign number: 10V073000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 125,000.

- South Charleston, WV, USA

Oct 132015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the service traction warning light illuminated. The vehicle steering wheel seized. The contact coasted over to the side of the road waited thirty minutes and was able to drive the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 108,497.

- Colorado Spring, CO, USA

Sep 012015

Cobalt

Purchased this vehicle off a used car lot Feb/2015 within a month of use the transmission fluid lines broke. Got back on the road, several months later the check engine light comes on and the power steering sensor as well. The car immediately started to become harder to handle. I'm scared that it will cut out on my wife and infant.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Sep 012014

Cobalt

Electrical/electronics problem. Symptoms: Dash warning lights (ie: Engine, traction, theft) came on. Digital display warning: Low fuel (over 1/2 tank of gas) power steering (which stopped operating) and transmission service (transmission stopped shifting smoothly). Gauges (speed, fuel and tach) operated erratically, not at all or combination of the two conditions. This condition started with a few of the listed symptoms which initially cleared them selves. Later as more showed at same time, I was able to clear them or sometime they cleared themselves. This happened over a years time. When all symptoms showed and would not clear, I took the vehicle to trusted mechanic. He could not locate problem but due to outstanding ignition switch recall, suggest that repair may fix the problem. Vehicle was taken to dealership and recall service preformed and no other outstanding recalls were found. Vehicle operated without a problem for almost a month before the listed symptoms reappeared. Was able to clear the fault codes but symptoms returned within the day and won't clear. A check of recalls found that a recall for power steering loss as described was issued and done at approx. 49,000 miles. Several electrical system checks were found in maintenance history (done after power steering recall) and preformed before I purchased the vehicle. The issue describe has become worse over time and has effected the safety of not only those operating the vehicle but any one else on the road when this problem manifest itself. Given that the ignition was replaced and the problems persist, I can't believe it was the ignition causing these problems. I will contact GM to see what my options are. Given that GM is paying 900 million to the government in fines, maybe uncle sam could held those of us with GM engineered lemons replace them with something that is safe to drive on the road.

- Ellington, CT, USA

Jul 312015

Cobalt

Wheels- the control arm bushings wear tremendously and rattle making the steering wheel shake uncontrollably. Steering- the steering wheel has a ton of "play" before it engages in a turn. Brakes- the rear drums and shoes wear excessively fast causing severe deterioration and grinding.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Sep 102015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the power steering failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering module needed to be replaced. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V073000 (steering). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000...updated 02/01/16

- St Marys , GA, USA

Sep 012015

Cobalt

We left the yard and got a quarter mile sown the road when the instrument panel went whacky and then immediately lost the power steering. I had this problem fixed back in 2012 and there was a recall on it. I can not believe this is happening again. I am so worried I'm going to get hurt or hurt someone else because I am unable to steer. Thank god my fiancÉ was with me so he could drive us back to the house.

- Johnson, VT, USA

Feb 232015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn without warning. The failure recurred on several occasions while driving at various speeds. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,500.

- Porter, TX, USA