2005 Chevrolet Cobalt
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Cobalt was introduced to replace two of Chevy’s smaller cars, the Cavalier and Prizm. But the compact’s fresh start that Chevy was hoping for was riddled with issues, most notably widespread power steering failure.
The power steering failed so often that GM was forced to issue a recall in March, 2010. Great, but what about other problems like the key getting stuck in the ignition or all the other electrical demons this car possesses?
And, oh yes — then there’s the terribly dangerous issue where the Cobalt randomly shuts off while driving. As it turns out, that problem is related to GM’s massive 2014 recall for a dangerous ignition switch defect. A recall that eventually ballooned to 2.6 million vehicles in one of the automotive industry’s biggest scandals.
Worst 2005 Cobalt Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- steering problems133NHTSA complaints: 1025
- interior accessories problems83NHTSA complaints: 28
- engine problems62NHTSA complaints: 107
- AC / heater problems20NHTSA complaints: 5
- transmission problems10NHTSA complaints: 34
- lights problems9NHTSA complaints: 20
- suspension problems9NHTSA complaints: 48
- body / paint problems8NHTSA complaints: 30
- electrical problems6NHTSA complaints: 248
- seat belts / air bags problems5NHTSA complaints: 59
- wheels / hubs problems5NHTSA complaints: 12
- brakes problems4NHTSA complaints: 77
- fuel system problems4NHTSA complaints: 27
- windows / windshield problems4NHTSA complaints: 9
- exterior accessories problems2NHTSA complaints: 36
- exhaust system problems1NHTSA complaints: 2
- miscellaneous problems1NHTSA complaints: 21
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 32
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 6
- cooling system problemsNHTSA: 4
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Chevrolet Cobalt Model Years
Curious how the 2005 Cobalt compares to other years?
Check out our Chevrolet Cobalt overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Cobalt.