- April 10: GM Re-Recalls Ignition Switch For Another Defect
- April 8: GM Fined $7,000 a Day For Missing Ignition Switch Deadline
- March 31: GM Recalls 1.3 Million Cars for Power Steering Problems
- March 30: GM Recalls 662,000 Vehicles Due to Broken Axles and Fire Risks
- March 29: Emergency Motion Filed Against GM to 'Park It Now'
- March 28: GM Recalls Another 824,000 Cars for Ignition Switch Defect
- March 28: GM Issues Chevy Cruze Stop Sale
- March 17: It's March Madness For GM: Another 1,500,000 Vehicles Recalled
- February 21: The Most American-Made Car Brand
- January 21: 10 Out of 11 Minicars Flunk Crash Test
2005 Chevrolet Cobalt
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Cobalt was introduced to replace two of Chevy’s smaller cars, the Cavalier and Prizm. But the compact’s fresh start that Chevy was hoping for was riddled with issues, most notably widespread power steering failure.
The power steering failed so often that GM was forced to issue a recall in March, 2010. Great, but what about other problems like the key getting stuck in the ignition or all the other electrical demons this car possesses?
And, oh yes — then there’s the terribly dangerous issue where the Cobalt randomly shuts off while driving. As it turns out, that problem is related to GM’s massive 2014 recall for a dangerous ignition switch defect. A recall that eventually ballooned to 2.6 million vehicles in one of the automotive industry’s biggest scandals.
Worst 2005 Cobalt Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Want help understanding this graph?
- steering problems120NHTSA complaints: 942
- interior accessories problems64NHTSA complaints: 27
- engine problems58NHTSA complaints: 71
- electrical problems29NHTSA complaints: 156
- AC / heater problems18NHTSA complaints: 5
- transmission problems10NHTSA complaints: 33
- suspension problems9NHTSA complaints: 45
- body / paint problems8NHTSA complaints: 24
- brakes problems7NHTSA complaints: 58
- lights problems5NHTSA complaints: 17
- wheels / hubs problems5NHTSA complaints: 11
- exterior accessories problems4NHTSA complaints: 31
- fuel system problems4NHTSA complaints: 19
- seat belts / air bags problems4NHTSA complaints: 26
- windows / windshield problems4NHTSA complaints: 9
- cooling system problems1NHTSA complaints: 4
- exhaust system problems1NHTSA complaints: 1
- miscellaneous problems1NHTSA complaints: 15
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 22
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 6
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Chevrolet Cobalt Model Years
Curious how the 2005 Cobalt compares to other years?
Check out our Chevrolet Cobalt overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Cobalt.