- November 29: GM Fuel Economy Lawsuit Claims SUVs Have Lost Resale Value news | 8 days ago
- November 23: NHTSA Delays GM Takata Airbag Recall Deadline recalls | 14 days ago
- November 4: Study: Pickup Truck Headlights Leave Drivers in the Dark news | 33 days ago
- November 2: Automakers Must Pay For Airbag Repairs if Takata Goes Bankrupt news | 35 days ago
- October 22: GM Recalls Chevy Express and GMC Savana Vans recalls | 46 days ago
2005 Chevrolet Cobalt
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Cobalt was introduced to replace two of Chevy’s smaller cars, the Cavalier and Prizm. But the compact’s fresh start that Chevy was hoping for was riddled with issues, most notably widespread power steering failure.
The power steering failed so often that GM was forced to issue a recall in March, 2010. Great, but what about other problems like the key getting stuck in the ignition or all the other electrical demons this car possesses?
And, oh yes — then there’s the terribly dangerous issue where the Cobalt randomly shuts off while driving. As it turns out, that problem is related to GM’s massive 2014 recall for a dangerous ignition switch defect. A recall that eventually ballooned to 2.6 million vehicles in one of the automotive industry’s biggest scandals.
Worst 2005 Cobalt Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- steering problems137NHTSA complaints: 1091
- interior accessories problems86NHTSA complaints: 28
- engine problems70NHTSA complaints: 136
- AC / heater problems21NHTSA complaints: 5
- transmission problems10NHTSA complaints: 35
- body / paint problems9NHTSA complaints: 41
- lights problems9NHTSA complaints: 21
- suspension problems9NHTSA complaints: 48
- electrical problems7NHTSA complaints: 292
- seat belts / air bags problems6NHTSA complaints: 67
- wheels / hubs problems6NHTSA complaints: 13
- exterior accessories problems5NHTSA complaints: 39
- windows / windshield problems5NHTSA complaints: 9
- brakes problems4NHTSA complaints: 87
- cooling system problems1NHTSA complaints: 4
- exhaust system problems1NHTSA complaints: 2
- fuel system problems1NHTSA complaints: 42
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 46
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 22
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 7
Stay Up to Date
Compare Chevrolet Cobalt Model Years
Curious how the 2005 Cobalt compares to other years?
Check out our Chevrolet Cobalt overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Cobalt.