- July 20: GM Recalls 10 Chevy Cruze and Chevy Volt Cars
- July 11: GM Recalls 98,000 Cars For Radio and Seat Belt Problems
- July 10: GM Recalls 686,000 Vehicles With Liftgates That Fall On You
- June 21: GM Sued For Mail and Wire Fraud, $10 Billion At Stake
- June 16: Consumer Wants 2010 Chevrolet Tahoe Investigated
2005 Chevrolet Cobalt
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Cobalt was introduced to replace two of Chevy’s smaller cars, the Cavalier and Prizm. But the compact’s fresh start that Chevy was hoping for was riddled with issues, most notably widespread power steering failure.
The power steering failed so often that GM was forced to issue a recall in March, 2010. Great, but what about other problems like the key getting stuck in the ignition or all the other electrical demons this car possesses?
And, oh yes — then there’s the terribly dangerous issue where the Cobalt randomly shuts off while driving. As it turns out, that problem is related to GM’s massive 2014 recall for a dangerous ignition switch defect. A recall that eventually ballooned to 2.6 million vehicles in one of the automotive industry’s biggest scandals.
Worst 2005 Cobalt Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- steering problems135NHTSA complaints: 144
- interior accessories problems83NHTSA complaints: 17
- engine problems67NHTSA complaints: 26
- AC / heater problems21NHTSA complaints: 5
- transmission problems10NHTSA complaints: 14
- lights problems9NHTSA complaints: 11
- body / paint problems8NHTSA complaints: 11
- suspension problems8NHTSA complaints: 18
- electrical problems7NHTSA complaints: 62
- wheels / hubs problems6NHTSA complaints: 7
- seat belts / air bags problems5NHTSA complaints: 17
- brakes problems4NHTSA complaints: 16
- windows / windshield problems4NHTSA complaints: 9
- exterior accessories problems2NHTSA complaints: 8
- fuel system problems2NHTSA complaints: 7
- cooling system problems1NHTSA complaints: 3
- exhaust system problems1NHTSA complaints: 1
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 6
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 5
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 2
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Chevrolet Cobalt Model Years
Curious how the 2005 Cobalt compares to other years?
Check out our Chevrolet Cobalt overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Cobalt.