- March 30: GM Recalls Chevy Trax and Buick Encore to Repair Power Steering Problems
- March 24: Chevy Malibu Recalled To Fix Sensitive Sunroof Switch
- March 25: Family of Ignition Switch Victim Brooke Melton Settles GM Lawsuit
- March 14: Chevy Volt Recalled After Carbon Monoxide Sickens People
- March 13: GM Lowers Warranty Coverage From 100,000 Miles to 60,000 Miles
2005 Chevrolet Cobalt
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Cobalt was introduced to replace two of Chevy’s smaller cars, the Cavalier and Prizm. But the compact’s fresh start that Chevy was hoping for was riddled with issues, most notably widespread power steering failure.
The power steering failed so often that GM was forced to issue a recall in March, 2010. Great, but what about other problems like the key getting stuck in the ignition or all the other electrical demons this car possesses?
And, oh yes — then there’s the terribly dangerous issue where the Cobalt randomly shuts off while driving. As it turns out, that problem is related to GM’s massive 2014 recall for a dangerous ignition switch defect. A recall that eventually ballooned to 2.6 million vehicles in one of the automotive industry’s biggest scandals.
Worst 2005 Cobalt Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- steering problems134NHTSA complaints: 144
- interior accessories problems83NHTSA complaints: 17
- engine problems62NHTSA complaints: 26
- AC / heater problems20NHTSA complaints: 5
- transmission problems10NHTSA complaints: 14
- lights problems9NHTSA complaints: 11
- suspension problems9NHTSA complaints: 18
- body / paint problems8NHTSA complaints: 11
- electrical problems7NHTSA complaints: 62
- seat belts / air bags problems5NHTSA complaints: 17
- wheels / hubs problems5NHTSA complaints: 7
- brakes problems4NHTSA complaints: 16
- fuel system problems4NHTSA complaints: 7
- windows / windshield problems4NHTSA complaints: 9
- exterior accessories problems2NHTSA complaints: 8
- cooling system problems1NHTSA complaints: 3
- exhaust system problems1NHTSA complaints: 1
- miscellaneous problems1NHTSA complaints: 5
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 6
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 2
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Chevrolet Cobalt Model Years
Curious how the 2005 Cobalt compares to other years?
Check out our Chevrolet Cobalt overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Cobalt.