- August 17: Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Recalled Due To Stalling recalls | 7 days ago
- July 29: GM Recalls Chevrolet Cruze Over Missing Headlight Codes recalls | 26 days ago
- July 24: GM Recalls Buick, Chevy and GMC Vehicles For Rollaway Risk recalls | 31 days ago
- July 21: GM Recalls 308,000 Chevy Impalas in the U.S. and Canada recalls | 34 days ago
- July 18: Chevy Cruze Diesel Emissions Lawsuit Says Cars Are Illegal news | 37 days ago
Power Steering Failure
2005 Chevrolet Cobalt (Page 1 of 7)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Cobalt was introduced to replace two of Chevy’s smaller cars, the Cavalier and Prizm. But the compact’s fresh start that Chevy was hoping for was riddled with issues, most notably widespread power steering failure.
The power steering failed so often that GM was forced to issue a recall in March, 2010. Great, but what about other problems like the key getting stuck in the ignition or all the other electrical demons this car possesses?
And, oh yes — then there’s the terribly dangerous issue where the Cobalt randomly shuts off while driving. As it turns out, that problem is related to GM’s massive 2014 recall for a dangerous ignition switch defect. A recall that eventually ballooned to 2.6 million vehicles in one of the automotive industry’s biggest scandals.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 59,847 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 126 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (72 reports)
- replaced steering column (20 reports)
- the power steering assist motor under the steering column (15 reports)
- needs new steering column (6 reports)
- need to replace assist motor and p/s mod (3 reports)
- replace steering column (3 reports)