- November 16: GM Recalls Chevy Silverado 3500 and GMC Sierra 3500 recalls | 1 days ago
- October 30: GM Recalls GMC Canyon, Chevy Colorado and Chevy Volt recalls | 18 days ago
- August 30: Chevy Bolt Batteries May Have Cell Problems recalls | 79 days ago
- August 29: GM Recalls Vehicles With Driveshafts That Break recalls | 80 days ago
2005 Chevrolet Cobalt
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Cobalt was introduced to replace two of Chevy’s smaller cars, the Cavalier and Prizm. But the compact’s fresh start that Chevy was hoping for was riddled with issues, most notably widespread power steering failure.
The power steering failed so often that GM was forced to issue a recall in March, 2010. Great, but what about other problems like the key getting stuck in the ignition or all the other electrical demons this car possesses?
And, oh yes — then there’s the terribly dangerous issue where the Cobalt randomly shuts off while driving. As it turns out, that problem is related to GM’s massive 2014 recall for a dangerous ignition switch defect. A recall that eventually ballooned to 2.6 million vehicles in one of the automotive industry’s biggest scandals.
Worst 2005 Cobalt steering Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- power steering failure128
- knocking and loose7
- GM issued recall4
- NHTSA: Steering1004
- NHTSA: Steering: Electric Power Assist System52
- NHTSA: Steering: Column18
- NHTSA: Steering: Hydraulic Power Assist System13
- NHTSA: Steering: Column Locking: Anti-Theft Device1
- NHTSA: Steering: Gear Box: Shaft Sector1
- NHTSA: Steering: Hydraulic Power Assist: Pump1
- NHTSA: Steering: Rack And Pinion1
- NHTSA: Steering: Rack And Pinion: Rack1
- NHTSA: Steering: Wheel And Handle Bar1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Chevrolet Cobalt Model Years
Curious how the 2005 Cobalt compares to other years?
Check out our Chevrolet Cobalt overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Cobalt.