- February 8: GM Wants Out of Recall of 6.8 Million Trucks and SUVs news | 9 days ago
- February 7: General Motors C/K Truck Fire Lawsuit Partially Dismissed news | 10 days ago
- February 7: Texas Man Says Defective Chevy Camaro Caused Crash news | 10 days ago
- February 3: GM Vortec Engine Lawsuit Says Oil Consumption Problems Abound news | 14 days ago
- February 1: GM AC Compressor and Condenser Problems Cause Lawsuit news | 16 days ago
2005 Chevrolet Cobalt
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Cobalt was introduced to replace two of Chevy’s smaller cars, the Cavalier and Prizm. But the compact’s fresh start that Chevy was hoping for was riddled with issues, most notably widespread power steering failure.
The power steering failed so often that GM was forced to issue a recall in March, 2010. Great, but what about other problems like the key getting stuck in the ignition or all the other electrical demons this car possesses?
And, oh yes — then there’s the terribly dangerous issue where the Cobalt randomly shuts off while driving. As it turns out, that problem is related to GM’s massive 2014 recall for a dangerous ignition switch defect. A recall that eventually ballooned to 2.6 million vehicles in one of the automotive industry’s biggest scandals.
Worst 2005 Cobalt Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- steering problems139NHTSA complaints: 1093
- interior accessories problems87NHTSA complaints: 28
- engine problems70NHTSA complaints: 136
- AC / heater problems22NHTSA complaints: 5
- body / paint problems10NHTSA complaints: 41
- transmission problems10NHTSA complaints: 35
- lights problems9NHTSA complaints: 21
- suspension problems9NHTSA complaints: 48
- electrical problems8NHTSA complaints: 293
- windows / windshield problems7NHTSA complaints: 9
- seat belts / air bags problems6NHTSA complaints: 67
- wheels / hubs problems6NHTSA complaints: 13
- exterior accessories problems5NHTSA complaints: 39
- brakes problems5NHTSA complaints: 87
- cooling system problems1NHTSA complaints: 4
- exhaust system problems1NHTSA complaints: 2
- fuel system problems1NHTSA complaints: 43
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 46
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 22
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 7
Stay Up to Date
Compare Chevrolet Cobalt Model Years
Curious how the 2005 Cobalt compares to other years?
Check out our Chevrolet Cobalt overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Cobalt.