- April 28: Honda Civic Steering Wheel Sticking? Class Action Lawsuit Filed news | 40 days ago
- April 6: Honda CR-V Frame Rust Recall Affects Salt-Belt States recalls | 62 days ago
- April 3: Honda Civic Sticky Steering Wheels Cause Lawsuit news | 65 days ago
- March 28: Honda Side Mirrors Can Fall Off, Recall Announced recalls | 71 days ago
- March 26: Honda Civic Sticky Steering Wheel Complaints Cause Investigation investigations | 73 days ago
2003 Honda Accord (Page 1 of 26)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
The stereo backlight problem has been an issue since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially was replacing the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 98,000 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 504 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace/rebuild transmission (348 reports)
- not sure (72 reports)
- Honda to pay cost as this transmission was a previous recall (45 reports)
- Honda assisted with replacement cost (25 reports)
- class action lawsuit (5 reports)
- transmission exchange (4 reports)
- NHTSA official complaints - Guys, please keep pushing persistently to get the justice. Honda USA and all Honda dealership have been robbing us!
- Transport Canada Defect Complaint Form - If you are in Canada, you can file a complaint with Transport Canada. If the link above does not work try using the secure URL: https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDPP/
- Transport Canada Defect Complaint Form (New URL - If you are in Canada, you can file a complaint with Transport Canada. If the link above does not work try using the secure URL: https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/7/pcdb-bdpp/fc-cp.aspx .
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
My daughter got it as a gift three months ago to drive to school! Transmission failed while driving, shifts into first gear only, no acceleration (at 120,000 miles). I have to replace the transmission. I am very disappointed.
- Jan B., Rockford, US