- January 18: Takata Airbag Claims Another Life, This Time in Florida news | 1 days ago
- January 11: Honda Recalls 717,000 Vehicles For Takata Airbag Inflators news | 8 days ago
- December 28: Certain Automakers Falling Behind With Automatic Emergency Braking news | 22 days ago
- December 19: Takata Airbag Kills Louisiana Driver of a Honda Civic news | 31 days ago
- November 30: Honda Recalls 2017 Civics With Bad Driveshafts recalls | 50 days ago
2002 Honda Accord
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.
Worst 2002 Accord Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems783NHTSA complaints: 347
- body / paint problems90NHTSA complaints: 56
- seat belts / air bags problems28NHTSA complaints: 243
- engine problems27NHTSA complaints: 88
- interior accessories problems10NHTSA complaints: 30
- brakes problems9NHTSA complaints: 32
- electrical problems8NHTSA complaints: 56
- AC / heater problems4NHTSA complaints: 3
- suspension problems3NHTSA complaints: 24
- lights problems2NHTSA complaints: 15
- steering problems2NHTSA complaints: 16
- windows / windshield problems2NHTSA complaints: 7
- clutch problems1NHTSA complaints: 1
- drivetrain problems1NHTSA complaints: 104
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 23
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 12
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 8
- exterior accessories problemsNHTSA: 3
- cooling system problemsNHTSA: 2
- exhaust system problemsNHTSA: 1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.