- October 9: Recall: 2019 Honda CR-V Owner's Manual Has Wrong Info recalls | 5 days ago
- October 7: Does Automatic Emergency Braking With Pedestrian Detection Work? news | 7 days ago
- August 17: ZF TRW Airbag Lawsuit Includes Multiple Automakers news | 58 days ago
- August 8: Model Year 2019 Honda CR-Vs Recalled For Fire Risk recalls | 67 days ago
2002 Honda Accord
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.
2002 Honda Accord Transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- Transmission Slipping And Jerking353
- Hesitates And Shifts Hard190
- Transmission Failure150
- Code P078016
- Car Revs High Before It Shifts13
- Won't Go Into Gear10
- D4 Light Blinks While Driving9
- Transmission Fluid Leak9
- Shifting Poorly8
- Shakes When Downshifting7
- Torque Converter Is Going Out7
- Bearing Noise When Accelerating4
- Lurches Forward When Stopping4
- Struggles In Reverse As Though Brake Was On4
- High Pitch Noise When Put In Gear3
- Loud Gear Clicking2
- Rumbling Noise2
- Noises In Park And Neutral But Not When In Gear1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission336
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Torque Converter5
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission3
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Lever And ...2
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Control ...1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.