- November 18: Honda Odyssey Second-Row Seat Problems Injure 46 recalls | 2 days ago
- November 14: Honda Accord and Crosstour Starter Lawsuit Tossed news | 6 days ago
- September 14: Honda Recalls Cars With Airbags That Weren't Installed Correctly recalls | 67 days ago
- September 11: Lane Departure and Blind Spot Warning Systems Really Work news | 70 days ago
- September 8: Salvaged Takata Airbag Focus of Karina Dorado Lawsuit news | 73 days ago
1998 Honda Accord
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1998 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, peeling paint, & subframe rust. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.
Peeling paint has also been a huge issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
Worst 1998 Accord Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems186NHTSA complaints: 239
- body / paint problems150NHTSA complaints: 64
- engine problems49NHTSA complaints: 173
- interior accessories problems17NHTSA complaints: 63
- fuel system problems4NHTSA complaints: 82
- seat belts / air bags problems4NHTSA complaints: 87
- suspension problems4NHTSA complaints: 61
- wheels / hubs problems4NHTSA complaints: 30
- cooling system problems3NHTSA complaints: 8
- exterior accessories problems2NHTSA complaints: 22
- exhaust system problems2NHTSA complaints: 44
- AC / heater problems1NHTSA complaints: 6
- electrical problems1NHTSA complaints: 291
- steering problems1NHTSA complaints: 28
- windows / windshield problems1NHTSA complaints: 15
- brakes problemsNHTSA: 55
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 46
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 28
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 12
- lights problemsNHTSA: 7
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 1998 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.