- February 18: Takata Bankruptcy Settlement Agreement Approved news | 1 days ago
- February 10: Honda Recalls Clarity Fuel Cell Cars, All in California recalls | 9 days ago
- January 30: Honda Malaysia Reports Takata Airbag-Related Death news | 20 days ago
- January 18: Takata Airbag Claims Another Life, This Time in Florida news | 32 days ago
- January 11: Honda Recalls 717,000 Vehicles For Takata Airbag Inflators recalls | 39 days ago
2009 Honda Accord
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.
BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.
OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.
UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.
Worst 2009 Accord Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- brakes problems414NHTSA complaints: 234
- engine problems235NHTSA complaints: 105
- interior accessories problems144NHTSA complaints: 30
- body / paint problems43NHTSA complaints: 22
- exterior accessories problems21NHTSA complaints: 10
- windows / windshield problems18NHTSA complaints: 6
- AC / heater problems15NHTSA complaints: 4
- wheels / hubs problems12NHTSA complaints: 20
- drivetrain problems8NHTSA complaints: 18
- transmission problems8NHTSA complaints: 4
- lights problems7NHTSA complaints: 20
- electrical problems5NHTSA complaints: 26
- steering problems5NHTSA complaints: 27
- fuel system problems3NHTSA complaints: 10
- seat belts / air bags problems3NHTSA complaints: 81
- suspension problems3NHTSA complaints: 10
- clutch problems2
- cooling system problems1NHTSA complaints: 3
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 13
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 2009 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.