- November 16: Honda Recalls HR-V, Odyssey and Acura MDX For Brake Problems recalls | 1 days ago
- November 4: Honda Civic CVT Problems Cause Class-Action Lawsuit news | 13 days ago
- October 31: Honda CR-V Oil Dilution Fix on the Way news | 17 days ago
- October 19: Honda Recalls 2019 Insight, Odyssey and Ridgeline recalls | 29 days ago
- October 19: Honda Recalls Civics and CR-Vs to Fix Steering Problems recalls | 29 days ago
Excessive Oil Consumption
2009 Honda Accord (Page 1 of 7)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Honda Accord has several serious defects – poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.
BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.
OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.
UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 71,350 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 135 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (71 reports)
- dealer wants to do a consumption test first (22 reports)
- Honda said burning 1 quart of oil every 1600 miles is normal (10 reports)
- reprogram computer software (7 reports)
- replace pistons and rings (5 reports)
- i was told by several mechanics its rings or valve gasket (4 reports)