2009 Honda Accord engine problems: excessive oil consumption

Excessive Oil Consumption

2009 Honda Accord (Page 1 of 7)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.6

2. dealer wants to do a consumption test first (21 reports)
  3. Honda said burning 1 quart of oil every 1600 miles is normal (10 reports)
  4. reprogram computer software (7 reports)
  5. replace pistons and rings (5 reports)
  6. engine overhaul (3 reports)
2009 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Accord:

2009 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Feb 092017

Accord EXL V6

February 9, 2017 I took my car in for an oil change. I had noticed it was minus 1 quart oil. They could find nothing wrong and told me to do a 1000 mile return visit. They did not inform me of the Lawsuit Settlement on this issue, but did mention my car was old.

I went back on April 4 to have the 1000 mile check and they said every thing was fine.

On August 18th the car went in for another oil change. We had made a trip to Walla Walla from Bremerton the previous weekend to attend my mothers memorial service and my husband had the presence of mind to check the oil before we went. It was down a quart. He filled it up and bought two more quarts to take with us on the trip. Upon our return After the oil change at Honda, I was told that we should initiate another 1000 mile oil check. Again the Settlement for this issue was not mentioned and I was charmingly told my car was getting old.

We purposely purchased a Honda because of it's high mileage usage reports and overall customer satisfaction. I went away from the purchase thinking that this car would be would most likely be the last car I would need to purchase in my life because we are retired and put less than 8,000 miles on it a year. Based on Honda's reputation of engines that would last for 250,000.

We have always purchased used cars. We trusted Honda sales men. We trusted Honda. Now they appear to be devious. Being an owner of a 2009 Honda Accord, we should have received notice of the lawsuit and warranty extension granted to owners along with the other all other owners. The continued "your car is old" is evasive. I expected more of Honda. We don't trust them any more and even though this car more that met our need for physical comfort (I am a multiple car accident survivor) and safety, we no longer feel we own a reliable car. We spent over $28,000 on this car, which was per-certified and has a warranty. We were informed of the airbag suit . . .why weren't we pre-notified of this settlement?

Now we have to chase this whole issue down spending hours and days to find out JUST if anyone else has encountered this problem and whether there was a class action suit. Shame on Honda for it's lack of transparency with it's faithful, trusting customers. We will never purchase another Honda because of this lack honesty.

- , Bremerton, US

Apr 192017

Accord EX

We purchased a 2009 Honda Accord with 34,000 miles on it in 2015. We did all required maintenance and oil changes. A few months ago the engine starts making a loud rattling noise upon starting. We took the car into the dealership to have it assessed and we were told that we needed to do an oil consumption test. We were informed that there was an extension on the power train of our car due to a manufacturers defect in the engine of Accords from 2008-2011. The warranty was about to expire on our vehicle, so we were told they would change the oil and we needed to put 1000 miles on it as fast as possible and return to have the oil checked to see if the problem could be covered under the extended warranty.

The test was done, the oil was low and our service advisor called American Honda to get the warranty work approved. Honda's warranty department refused to fix it. They said they were not obligated because we were not the original owner and could not supply maintenance records for the time prior to our ownership of the car.

After several phone calls over 3-4 weeks, Honda finally said they would pay for 75% of the repair which left our portion to be around 480.00. I didn't think we should have to pay anything since the engine problem is pretty well documented and there was even a class action lawsuit settled over this issue in 2014. But I thought, fine, we'll pay that amount and get the car fixed and move on. So, we take the car to the Honda dealer yesterday, they get the engine apart and realize the pistons are scorched and the engine block is damaged and the block needs replacing. The block was damaged because of the manufacturing issue with the engine that caused the warranty to be extended.

Our service advisor calls Honda and they tell him they will not cover the engine block and furthermore, they say that with the warranty work that was authorized not being able to be completed, they won't cover the cost of putting the engine back together! Can I just say that Honda is the worst car company out there! They refuse to fix a huge engine issue that is caused by a manufacturer's defect that they have documented numerous times which shows that they have no integrity!

I have another call into Honda Customer Service because they had to start a new case with this "new" problem, but I have read many other accounts on the internet where Honda has not stood by their products and has left people with useless vehicles and huge mechanic bills just to make their stupid cars run!! So, as our car sits all over the garage at our Honda dealer, we will see what this gigantic multi billion dollar car manufacturer is going to do! My guess is they will continue to be obstructive and try to do anything they can to put the cost of their short comings on us! NEVER will I ever buy a Honda product ever again!

- , Lake Havasu City, US

Mar 012016

Accord ES 2.4L

Excessive oil consumption 1 quart every 1000 mile they want to do a consumption test, put a measure amount of oil in motor then seal it. then we have you drive it till oil light comes on. Come on, drive till the oil light comes on! more damage, just repair it, change it out. Do it now instead of later, they prolong it so the warranty runs out.

Update from Jul 24, 2017: car is going in for oil consumption test 7-22-2017 and recall work case number 06159877. burning quart every 1000 mile is not normal for a car with 85k

Update from Aug 27, 2017: Dealer did a, oil consumption test, they looked at the dip stick and said it used 3/4 of a quart. come on , what kind of a test is this, does the mechanic have a calibrated eye and can tell it used only 3/4 of a quart. also did not use oil the is the manual which is 5w20 they put in 0w20 . they are trying to do everything to not repair vehicle !!

Update from Sep 4, 2017: my daughter has a 2009 Honda accord with 85k miles on it. It goes through 4 or 5 qts of oil between oil changes. We submitted a claim even tho the warranty was out by one week but not out on mileage. They told me to take it to a honda dealer ( Ray Price ) to do an oil consumption test. Which consist of a oil change (i pay for) then bring it back in around 1000 miles , they check level then report to Honda USA. Here's the problem, i took it back it lost 3/4 qt by the calibrated eye of the mechanic looking at the dip stick , he didn't drain and measure. Also they didn't use the same weight oil as in the owners manual. The real misconception here is it loses at the same rate. It doesn't between the first 1000 miles and the 2nd 1000 miles it loses faster !!! some time between oil changes I'll put in 4 or 5 qts.!!

Banging my head in Bangor

- , Bangor, US

Aug 012016

Accord LX 4 cyl

Car is burning over 3 quarts every 3k miles, low engine oil light not lighting up, makes engine noise when gets low. Computer update did not fix problem.

- , San Diego, CA, US

May 312017

Accord EX V6

Car using 2 1/2 quarts of motor oil in 6 weeks, oil light does not come on and no smoke. VSA LIGHT AND CHECK eng light comes on. I had the car tuned up and the spark plugs changed.

- , Tyrone, US

Jun 232017

Accord 4 Cylinder

Dealership made it sound like it was my fault for not checking the oil every 1000 miles. No oil light came on and my oil change recommendation on the odometer said it was at 30%. I was getting a grinding noise when I took off from stop signs. Oil light flashed a couple of times when I turned a corner. They changed the oil, ran a $80 cleaner through the engine to de-gunk pistons. Came home and did research and found out there has been lawsuits for excessive oil consumption. I've really liked my Honda until now. I feel lied to since the dealership was not upfront about the issue that I'm I'm sure they are aware of.

- , Smithton, IL, US

May 032017

Accord LX-P 2.4L L4

My 2009 Honda Accord with 107k miles which consumes excessive engine oil. I did oil consumption test in a Honda service center. After the test was completed, they told me a quarter of oil consumption every 1000 miles is normal. They suggested me, I should regularly check the oil level and if needed add more engine oil.

- , Houghton, MI, USA

Jan 132016

Accord EX-L 3.5L V6

Called dealer after spark plugs needing premature replacement. Told to do oil consumption test. Burned 1 quart for each 2000 miles and told it did not qualify for warranty. 1 year later, spark plugs needing replacing again. Called Honda, was told that they would have done full repair a year ago if I had taken it in instead of calling, now vehicle is 4 months out of the 8 YEAR extended warranty due to the lawsuit acknowledging the problem!!! Called Honda Corporate and was told there is nothing they can do now. Will not ever be buying a Honda again and will not recommend them. Wife and I were both loyal to Honda. The handling of this issue has be anything but professional and not expected from Honda. All I expect is for them to stand behind their product and help loyal customer who are plagued by the oil burning engine.

- , Rossville, US

Mar 012017

Accord LXS 2.4L

no any color of smoke at exhaust or smell, but every 700-800 miles the dipstick is at half.

- , Orland Park, US

Mar 212017

Accord EX-L V6

Known problem with Honda V-6 Engines . I believe there has been a class action suit regarding this problem.

- , Long Valley, NJ, US

Jan 122016

Accord EX 2.4L

I've owned my 2009 for a little over 4 years now and it is at around 107,00 miles. A little over a year ago, I started to notice excessive oil consumption. I change my own oil to save money and to make sure it's done correctly. I use synthetic Mobil 1 with the recommended weight. It seemed odd to me that it would be low 2-3 quarts over a span of a few thousand miles but never had the time to look into it and being I have limited knowledge of how car's engines work, thought maybe it had something to do with the fact that it was a manual transmission (I've only driven sticks my entire life and have had other cars burn oil too, so I supposed this was the common denominator, which obviously I was wrong about. They all just had ring problems, I now know).

Anyways, I decided to look into it today after talking to a friend about it, and found this site and others, where it was clear there is a very clear and known issue here with the 4 cylinders, not just the V6. Called my local Honda dealership and service technician informed me that there was a standing bulletin to have my computer software updated, and then proceeded to tell me that I would then need to do an oil consumption test through them but not before them having do an oil change on it. Which I do understand because they need to ensure the proper oil levels and trusted Honda parts are used, but if this is part of diagnosing the excessive oil consumption problem, I should not be charged. However, they said I'd need to pay $39.50 for it. While this is not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things, it's the principle that I shouldn't have to pay for this, and likely other extras as well (I refer back to this later).

I proceeded to call American Honda to see if I could get more information, and after giving them my VIN, they said my 2009 was purchased in November 2008, meaning that I am past the 8 year extended warranty and so Honda will not cover anything. I'm all for following and understanding rigid rules, but a few months difference between November 2016 and today, February 2017, didn't make this problem more or less of a real thing.

Part of my issue here also is that the Honda service technician didn't look into when my vehicle was purchased after giving him my VIN, so I would have brought my car in, they would have updated the computer software, then did an oil change (costing me $39.50), and then initiated the oil consumption test, which I would have had to pay for out of pocket once they discovered to do their due diligence and find it was actually no longer covered by the warranty period. So regardless, it's a lose-lose for me. Either I would have paid a few hundred dollars total for them to "officially" tell me it is consuming oil too quickly (which I already know) and then live with the problem because it's not covered anymore, or I would have to pay several thousand dollars to replace the pistons and rings in order to fix this problem. I admit it's my own fault that I didn't look into this a year ago when I first noticed the problems, but again, if Honda knows this is their fault and have submitted a bulletin (which really should be a recall/lawsuit like the V6 models), a few months shouldn't matter.

Honda, please fix this problem because it's yours to own. This is my first Honda and expected nothing but reliability, but having to constantly add oil to an 8 year old HONDA car barely over 100k is unacceptable like I used to do on a 20 year old Mazda 626 with over 200k miles, who's rings were also going bad.

- , Okemos, US

Aug 012016

Accord LX V6

I was never notified about the class action lawsuit settled by Honda regarding excessive oil consumption so I may be out of luck. I bought my Accord in 2008 and I understand they extended the warranty to 8 years with no mileage limit. I may have missed the time window but will try. I don't drive that much but it burns about a quart every 1000 miles. I have maintained the car in excellent condition and have performed all the maintenance indicated on the maintenance minder without fail.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jan 172017

Accord EX-L 3.5L V6 Mpi Sohc 24v

We purchased the car from a Nissan dealer in August, 2016. While preparing for a road trip we checked all fluids and realized that the car was 2 1/2 quarts low on oil and there was less than 2,000 miles on the vehicle since last oil change. We filled it and took it into the dealer we purchase it from who said keep an eye on it. We are now constantly replacing the oil and the dealer we purchased it from said we had to contact Honda.

I contacted Honda and they said the VIN # I provided was not covered by the class action lawsuit, although the web page indicates that it applies to all 2009 Honda Accords with this particular engine. They indicated that I would have to have to pay and have the problem diagnosed by a Honda dealer and then maybe a good will gesture would be granted to us. However, they do not have to repair the car because it is outside the original warranty.

- , Ashford, CT, USA

Oct 052016

Accord EX 4 cyl

IF HONDA IS AWARE OF THIS OIL CONSUMPTION PROBLEM WHY DON'T THEY JUST FIX MY CAR INSTEAD OF ASKING ME TO COME BACK EVERY 1,000 MILES

THEY'RE JUST JERKING ME AROUND

- , Lutherville, MD, USA

Dec 012016

Accord 4 cyl

We have noticed the excessive oil consumption for about two years. We took it to a Honda dealership and they ran a test, but did nothing about it. It seems to be the same problem that the six-cylinder records have had

- , Haddon Twp, NJ, USA

Dec 072016

Accord EX-L 3.5V6 Pzev

I have owned Hondas since 1984 but never had an oil consumption problem. A quart in 1200 miles is ridiculous.

- , Hoover, AL, USA

Jul 012016

Accord ES 2.4L 6 cyl

My 2009 Honda Accord was purchased by our local Honda dealer off the lot brand new. Vehicle has always a good vehicle and no serious problems. It was in a minor crash and had some of the frame readjusted. Recently, (within 6 months) I have noticed the vehicle consuming more oil than usual. Sometime the car will be so low on oil it will make a large rattling noise and I have to stop to put more oil in. I followed up with Honda to see what I could do with the extended warranty notice I received in the mail regarding the vehicle. The extended warranty stated that the piston rings may be sticking more than usual and the vehicle could be consuming more oil than normal. The warranty stated it was good for up to 8 years from the purchase or 125,000 miles, whichever came first. At the time the Honda was at 134,000 miles. Honda told me to take it to my local Honda dealer and ask how to start the process on the piston rings. The local dealer stated they needed to start with an oil consumption test with an oil change, then I would have to come back after 1,000 miles for them to track the oil. I brought the vehicle in and was dealt with more bad news. The local dealer stated that I could not start the oil consumption test until I fixed two other oil leaks the vehicle currently has. I was told the vehicle has a valve gasket leak which also needed a valve adjustment as well as a crank seal leak. The local dealer quoted me that the valve gasket would cost $225, the valve adjustment would be $325, and the crank seal leak would be $245. Everywhere I have heard otherwise the cost of these fixes would be much more than I was quoted. After receiving this news I called Honda again to create a claim. I still have not been able to speak to my case representative on the problem. My concern is that the sticking piston rings could have lead to the two other leaks my vehicle is having. I feel as though Honda needs to cover the costs to fix this problem seeing as though the piston rings are an ongoing issue.

- , Casco, ME, USA

Nov 252016

Accord EX-L 2.4L 4

Well I started my car one day, and drove off to school. Noticed every time I accelerated I noticed as soon as the rpm his 3000 it started giving this wining sound. At first I thought it was nothing then I started noticing it every time I drove. I didn't know what the problem was, everything seemed fine, it is a clean engine and I always repaired it every time something happens. I took it to my friend's shop and he put some oil in engine, he also noticed the sound so we both did our research and discovered that this is a common thing with Hondas. I eventually filled up my oil and now I can still feel it burn and the oil consumption is way out of hand. In less than a week the oil percentage went down 10 percent. I seriously don't know what to do. I'm a college student and have no money to fix this honestly, this is seriously unacceptable.

- , Lubbock, TX, USA

May 092016

Accord EXL 3.5L V6

Post having the Honda dealership repairs (4 spark plug replacement and computer replacement), the vehicle continues to have the oil consumption issue. I believe it is getting worse. I must add a quart of oil every 1500 miles! To add insult to injury, I have only used synthetic oil for my oil changes, which needless to say, costs more to use. I have maintained the car well and primarily use the vehicle to drive, mostly highway, to and from work (18 miles one way). Our family auto history has primarily been Honda/Acura vehicles, however, this may change.

- , Great Neck, NY, USA

Mar 282013

Accord EX-L 2.4L

My Honda Accord has used oil excessively since I first bought it. There has been a lawsuit for the V-6 for the same thing and nothing has been done about the 3.2L. It is the same exact problem !!!! Help !

Update from Nov 9, 2016: It is a 2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2.4Liter, 4 cylinder 5 speed automatic

- , Franklin, NC, USA