- April 14: Takata Airbag Recall Loaner Car Policies Lacking news | 6 days ago
- April 13: Texas Woman Awarded $37 Million After Honda Odyssey Crash news | 7 days ago
- April 4: Honda Civic Driver Killed By Exploding Takata Airbag Inflator news | 16 days ago
- March 22: Honda Odyssey and Pilot Infotainment System Lawsuit Filed news | 29 days ago
- March 22: Certain Automakers Slacking on Automatic Emergency Braking news | 29 days ago
2002 Honda Accord
Body / Paint Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.
2002 Honda Accord Body / Paint Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- Paint And Clearcoat Dissolving71
- Paint Is Peeling, Bubbling, And Fading Off7
- A/C Drain Caused Subframe Crack3
- Paint Peeling3
- Water Leaking Into Interior3
- Bad Steel. Rusted Frame2
- Paint Is Too Thin1
- Passenger Door/ Driver's Side1
- NHTSA: Structure: Body40
- NHTSA: Structure: Frame And Members: Underbody Shields9
- NHTSA: Structure8
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Trunk Lid 4
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Door 3
- NHTSA: Structure: Frame And Members3
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Hatchback/Liftgate1
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Roof And Pillars1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.