- September 21: Takata Airbag Investigation Includes 30 Million Vehicles investigations | 6 days ago
- September 15: Level 2 Advanced Driver Assistance Systems Investigated investigations | 12 days ago
- September 8: 'Miles to Empty' Accuracy Questioned by Researchers news | 19 days ago
- August 18: Honda Battery Warranty Useless, Alleges Lawsuit news | 40 days ago
- July 24: Honda Odyssey Class Action Lawsuit Dismissed news | 65 days ago
Paint And Clearcoat Dissolving
2002 Honda Accord (Page 1 of 4)
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 101,500 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 71 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- surface needs preparation and then be repainted (32 reports)
- not sure (25 reports)
- repaint (14 reports)
body / paint problem