- December 29: Honda Driveshaft Recall Affects CR-V Hybrid, Acura RDX recalls | 25 days ago
- December 3: Honda Hood Latch Recall For Striker Problems recalls | 51 days ago
- November 27: Honda Recalls Accord, CR-V, Insight and Ridgeline recalls | 57 days ago
- November 23: Honda Sunroof Shattered, Class Action Lawsuit Filed news | 61 days ago
- November 15: Acura RDX Infotainment Lawsuit Settlement Preliminarily Approved news | 69 days ago
2003 Honda Accord
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
The stereo backlight problem has been an issue since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially was replacing the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.
2003 Honda Accord Transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- Transmission Failure503
- Not Shifting Properly163
- Transmission Slips Out Of Gear127
- Won't Shift Into 3rd Gear41
- Unintended Downshift36
- Shifts Violently At Low Speed After Highway Driving33
- Won't Go Into Gear24
- Clunking Into Gear15
- High Pitched Whining Noise From Transmission15
- Premature Gear Wear8
- Failed Tranmission Computer5
- Slow Acceleration At Speeds Of 50+ Mph2
- Sticking Noise When Shifting Into Drive2
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission569
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Torque Converter5
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission3
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Gear Position Indication ...1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Lever And Linkage: Column ...1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Lever And Linkage: Floor ...1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 2003 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.