- July 25: Honda Recalls 2018 Civics to Replace Gibberish Labels recalls | 24 days ago
- July 21: Honda CR-V Seating Capacity of Five is False: Lawsuit news | 28 days ago
- July 21: Honda CR-V Vibration Lawsuit May Be Settled news | 28 days ago
- June 25: SUV Crash Test Ratings For 2018 Models news | 54 days ago
- June 4: Malaysia To Punish Owners Who Ignore Takata Airbag Recalls news | 75 days ago
Transmission Slips Out Of Gear
2003 Honda Accord (Page 1 of 7)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
The stereo backlight problem has been an issue since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially was replacing the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 94,600 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 126 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace transmission (46 reports)
- not sure (38 reports)
- rebuild transmission (16 reports)
- dealer claims there isn't a problem (10 reports)
- honda is replacing the tranny with a rebuilt at no charge (8 reports)
- dealer replaced with a refurbished transmission (3 reports)