CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

9.0

$4,078.00

1. replace transmission and radiator (127 reports)
  2. rebuild transmission and replace radiator (39 reports)
  4. replace radiator and transmission (15 reports)
  5. radiator and transmission cooler replaced (5 reports)
  6. new transmission (4 reports)
2006 Nissan Pathfinder transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Pathfinder:

2006 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 1 of 12)

Aug 012017

Pathfinder SE

Bought this car in January for $7200 from Tio Charlies Auto Dealer in Englewood, CO. He stated that the 05's had problems but not the 06's basically just trying to make a sale and worked past by better judgment. Now August the transmission gave out thumping noises under the car and gets stuck on third gear. Gave me problems when driving on the freeway by shaking out of nowhere. I am a working American that is busy throughout the week and no transmissions shops are open on the weekend. Finally couldn't drive my car because of the coolant leaking into the transmission, has the milky yellow liquid in there and no I take the bus to work because all the money I saved up I used to buy a Pathfinder in cash. I was happy and thought this car would last and help me in the winter but it has left my savings account empty with no car and taking the bus to work. I bought within my budget and didn't expect to spend another $4000-$5000 to be able to use my car. Called Nissan dealers and the warranty expired last year, so no help there. Just feel everyone is like F you and you are on your own. Just feel let down and in a slump.

- , Westminster, CO, US

May 102016

Pathfinder SE 4.0L V6

I just purchased this damn truck, the mileage was great. I was driving then the check engine lights appears. Just my luck, I had a diagnosis completed. The Auto Trans speed sensor need to be repaired, My mechanic flushed the transmission then went to replaced the part when he stated that the transmission and the radiator has to be replaced and there is and open investigation on the vehicle because fluid from the radiator into the transmission. He showed me the muddy fluid, I was livid. I really need my truck. This is some BS and Nissan knows it.

- , Florence, SC, USA

Aug 202015

Pathfinder LE 3.2L

This problem is overwhelming due to everything I'm going through right now/ My Nissan Pathfinder is parked in the back of my driveway due to the transmission not working, and my AC not working. It's costing me 5,000 to fix. I don't have another car to drive and getting the 5,000 to fix it is too much money. HELP I don't know what to do, this is also my vehicle to work and take my kids to go where they need to be.

- , Sioux, IA, USA

May 102017

Pathfinder SE V6

• CVT transmission

Nissan got away with this bad design and not having to do a recall. This is so wrong. I tried to make a deal with Nissan that I would pay the labor for the transmission if they would pay the parts and tax. They have flat refused to work with me at all. I already replaced the radiator and cooler, and flushed the transmission twice trying to save it. It did not work. I cannot sell this car because of the of stigma of the Nissan "milkshake". The dealer wants $5352.00 for the transmission. My car won't sell for that much. I am retired and live on a pension. I paid $36,000.00 for this car!!!!!!!! Living on a pension will never allow me to purchase a new one ever again. Because of this, I may spend my old age on foot. This is so wrong. Nissan should standup and help.

I will never own another Nissan!!!!!!!!

- , Citrus Heights, US

Jun 052017

Pathfinder SE V6 3954

Nissan should be banned from selling vehicles in the US with known issues that they don't recall.

- , Franklin, US

Jul 072016

Pathfinder LL 4.0L V6

click to see larger images

coolant leaked into transmission coolant leaked into transmission

I have only owned this car for 2 months. Since I bought it from a DEALERSHIP used they have refused any help. First the rear U-Joint went out, then the Coolant with transmission fluid in it was found. Replace the Radiator and in doing so the battery went dead and had to be replaced. Next, fan clutch to A/C now not working. Transmission is now failing!!! I will now have to rebuild or replace the transmission. Hard to believe a known problem is being ignored like this. I was a strong believer in Nissan and now I will never buy another Nissan vehicle. If they can't stand behind vehicles and correct the issue then I don't need to be buying from them. Wish I had known about this issue before I bought this car :(

- , Kyle, TX, USA

Mar 312017

Pathfinder LS

Bought the car new, issues from check engine light to transmission issue. This car should be recalled

- , Port Washington, NY, US

Mar 112017

Pathfinder 4.0L

The radiator was defected and the fluids from the radiator leaked into my transmission causing me SERIOUS transmission problems. Right now my transmission does not change gears at all. I replaced the radiator and transmission fluid thinking that would solve the problem, but never happened. My truck is currently parked, insurance cancelled and license plate turned in until I speak with Nissan concerning this problem. The reason for speaking with Nissan is because I went online and it shows Nissan suppose to have had a recall on the truck, however, I never received it. The only notice I received for a recall was for the Air Bag that Nissan claimed was only a notice to say that there will be a recall. Never received that recall yet. I would appreciate if someone could really look into this as I can see there a number of complaints out there concerning the same thing.

- , Slidell, US

Dec 012016

Pathfinder Nissan

2006 transmission failed with 42,500 miles on it. It is out of warranty and I have to pay over 5000 dollars to have both radiator and transmission to be replaced.

- , Cambridge, US

Feb 142017

Pathfinder V6

Bought 2006 Pathfinder used as second vehicle to keep miles down on my new car. I started noticing some vibrations while driving, jerking while shifting gears, etc. Did some research online and found out about the coolant leak into the transmission and I was experiencing all problems listed. Before we could define problem for sure, blowup!! On way home, noticed smell of anti-freeze, temp gauge hot, smoking from under hood..........barely made it home before a gush of grey fluid starting flowing............needless to say, she blew! Weighing options at this time on what to do..............

- , Asheville, US

Dec 172016

Pathfinder LX 4.0lV6fi D

Nissan should have contacted owners and told them to replace the radiator. The persons I spoke with at Nissan told me they all replaced their radiators because they all knew it was a problem. Nissan would offer to pay around $2000.00 toward the repair but they are charging close to $8000. at the dealer to replace the transmission and radiator and no allowance toward the $500.00 rental car charge for 10 days, since this happened over Christmas. We have looked at trading our Pathfinder in and purchasing a new Murano but now, NO MORE NISSANS. Not only has Nissan lost a customer for life but I will complain everywhere I can.

I brought this to a private car repair shop and had the radiator and transmission replaced for a total of $4381.00. half of what Nissan wanted for the job. Also, my car was 6 months too old to benefit from the $2k Nissan was offering for help with the problem. Only had 52k miles on this car and it looks brand new.

- , Milford, CT, USA

Jan 042016

Pathfinder LE 4L V6

It is the only vehicle we have and I did not have any choice but to pay and have it repaired. I had to borrow money from a friend which I just finished paying back and also take out a personal loan. The transmission repair shop said they have seen a lot of these and knew right away what had destroyed the transmission.

Although we liked the Pathfinder LE very much, I will never buy another Nissan product because they obviously had a defective transmission design and refuse to stand by their vehicles. The extended warranty was a joke since most failures occurred beyond that period.

- , Lake Placid, FL, USA

Apr 202015

Pathfinder LE 3.5L V6

Love my car, hate Nissan's lack of ethics. I've always loved my Nissan vehicles whether it was an Altima or my current Nissan. Should I ever stop putting money into this one (2 catalytic converters, one ignition coil, O2 sensors, brakes, 2 sets of tires thus far), I highly doubt I will ever buy another. I have lost my trust in and respect for them.

- , Taylors, SC, USA

Oct 252016

Pathfinder

Let me begin by saying I love my 2006 Nissan Pathfinder! I have had minimal issues regarding it. I keep up with my oil changes. I am very upset to find out so many other owners have had this same problem and no one leaked the message out to the owners!!! However, antifreeze leaked with the transmission fluid and caused damages to my transmission. Now I'm stuck having to pay $3,000 to get this fixed. (I am waiting to hear from the dealer to see if there is anything they could do to help out with the co-pay) If so, I will log back in here and give them the shout out! If not, I don't know what I'll do!

- , Lafayette, LA, USA

Aug 222016

Pathfinder LE V6

Transmission coolant has leaked into transmission due to a defect in the transmission coolant box. Transmission is slipping. Will cost $3500 to repair.

- , Buena Vista, VA, US

Jul 012016

Pathfinder SE Off Road 4.0L

2 days after making myfirst payment on used 06 Pathfinder, Transmission started acting confused as to what gear it was in, very noticeable between the 35 -40 mph range. Then that same feeling of wanting to shift in and out of gears was noticeable anytime passing or elevation change. Dealer says that it must of just happened as there are no signs of corrosion, so they are putting in a new radiator and doing a transmission fluid flush...for almost $900 dollars. Seeing the posts here are making very worried this is only a bandaid that will bite me later.

HOW DOES A KNOWN FAILURE THAT IS BECAUSE OF BAD DESIGN, BAD QUALITY OF MATERIALS. .NOT BE COVERED BY THE COMPANY THAT HAS MADE THE MONEY OFF THE FAULTY PRODUCT..ONLY LEAD TO MORE MONEY GOING TO THE PROVIDER OF THE FAULTY PRODUCT...WELCOME TO FREE TRADE OUTSIDE OF AMERICA???

- , Sterling, AK, USA

May 012016

Pathfinder ES V6

Nissan Pathfinder bought 2011 Sept. Since then one problem or the next. This is one though seems to be the most annoying. The car jerks on highways and seems as if it will stop (as if a car that has run dry of fuel and wants to stop). It produces sound as if someone is grinding corn! I called Nissan Consumer Affairs and they directed me to where I bought it from in West haven George Harte Nissan. When those people diagnosed it they are saying it is transmission. and guess what, they did not get back to me after almost 1 week. I called and they told me to call back the Consumer Affairs number, this is really upsetting. I am expecting response from their regional office today , because absolutely Nissan sold me a DEFECTIVE product.

- , HAMDEN, CT, USA

Jun 012016

Pathfinder SE

Thanks a lot Nissan!

LONG story short.....after starting to have issues with the performance of my 06 Pathfinder,I have discovered that I'm basically screwed!! Nissan you really need to fix your leaking radiator into the transmission issue!! I like many others are not going to be a returning customer, after dealing with this!! You not only have trained your dealerships (Eishenhauer) to act stupid on the situation,but the extended warranty companies are also aware,and won't cover the problem! (I have wasted $1500.00 on a Zurich Powertrain warranty)

I'm so disappointed and tired over this whole long ordeal, that's still ongoing....that all I can say at this point is

NISSAN YOU SUCK!! THANKS!! I cannot afford to fix this (I have also heard, it really is not ever fixed) I'm forced to sell my Pathfinder!!

I have spent enough $$ and time,on this transmission issue, I'm done!! (but not until I have told everyone about this,social media, here I come) Thanks again Nissan!!

- , Birdsboro, PA, USA

May 152016

Pathfinder SE V6

We have carefully followed the mfg recommendations for maintaining our 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. It has 200,000 km but a regular maintenance inspection recently told us that all was well. Until our radiator failed and contaminated our transmission. Now we require a new radiator and transmission $7500. Now we know this is a know defect that could have been prevented with a simple rad change $600. We are just above the extended warranty for this known issue and have brought this to Nissan Canada's attention but they refuse to extend the warranty to us, despite our excellent service history at a Nissan dealership and our willingness to pay the $3000 customer co-pay. Nissan is losing a customer over this. Really disappointed, thought we were buying into a company whose reputation was quality and customer service, but that's just all talk. I see the new model Nissan Pathfinders are also experiencing transmission problems. We're done with Nissan. If you own a Pathfinder of this vintage, do yourself a huge favour and replace the rad before you have a massive repair bill on your hands.

I would also like to add that our Nissan dealership has been absolutely terrible. They are actively avoiding us and this problem.

- , Winnipeg, MB, Canada

May 082016

Pathfinder LE 6.0L

I bought my 2006 Pathfinder May 7 and on May 8 I immediately was feeling it vibrate when I was driving around 40 mph. After doing some research about it, I found out that the vibration could be coming from the transmission due to coolant from the radiator leaking into the transmission.

I took it into the shop to have the radiator disconnected from the transmission and to have my transmission flushed. The mechanic said the transmission fluid was cloudy so coolant for sure got in there and we just hoped that we caught it in time. My vehicle was acting pretty good for about two weeks and then my transmission failed. Look for my other complaint to read about what happened.

- , Madison, WI, USA