- February 14: Brake Fluid Leaks Cause Ford Escape and Lincoln MKC Recall recalls | 9 days ago
- February 13: 2006 Ford Ranger Owners Warned to Park the Trucks recalls | 10 days ago
- February 1: Exploding Sunroof in Ford Escape Causes Lawsuit news | 22 days ago
- January 29: Ford Focus Suspension Lawsuit is Over news | 25 days ago
- January 27: Ford Recalls 2018 Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SUVs recalls | 27 days ago
2003 Ford Taurus (Page 1 of 17)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car that shifts gears & coil springs that don't shred tires. The Taurus fails in that respect.
The 2003 Ford Taurus has major issues with the transmission failing. Typically the 2003 Taurus transmission failure costs $2,000 to fix by about 90k-100k miles. Not good.
Adding insult to injury, the 1999-2003 Taurus also has a huge problem with coil springs breaking which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.
The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 93,373 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 336 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace transmission (155 reports)
- not sure (81 reports)
- replace torque converter (37 reports)
- sitting in drive way trying to figure something out (33 reports)
- rebuilt the transmission replacing only failed parts (18 reports)
- scrap it! (5 reports)