- December 2: Ford Door Latch Recall: Doors May Open While Driving recalls | 0 days ago
- December 1: Ford 10-Speed Transmission Lawsuit Debated in Court news | 1 days ago
- November 27: Ford F-150 Master Cylinder Class Action Lawsuit news | 5 days ago
- November 26: Ford E-Series Cutaway Class Action Lawsuit Dismissed news | 6 days ago
- November 25: Ford Expedition Seat Belt Pretensioners Investigated investigations | 7 days ago
2003 Ford Taurus (Page 1 of 17)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car that shifts gears & coil springs that don't shred tires. The Taurus fails in that respect.
The 2003 Ford Taurus has major issues with the transmission failing. Typically the 2003 Taurus transmission failure costs $2,000 to fix by about 90k-100k miles. Not good.
Adding insult to injury, the 1999-2003 Taurus also has a huge problem with coil springs breaking which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.
The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 93,200 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 340 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace transmission (157 reports)
- not sure (81 reports)
- replace torque converter (37 reports)
- sitting in drive way trying to figure something out (33 reports)
- rebuilt the transmission replacing only failed parts (20 reports)
- scrap it! (5 reports)