- July 2: Hyundai and Kia Theta II Engine Fires Under Investigation investigations | 20 days ago
- June 12: Hyundai and Kia Engine Fires Should Be Investigated investigations | 40 days ago
- June 8: Kia Recalls 507,000 Fortes, Optimas and Sedonas recalls | 44 days ago
- May 31: Genesis G80 and G90 Cars Could Lose Windshields and Windows recalls | 52 days ago
- May 10: Hyundai Recalls Ioniq Hybrids To Repair Oil Seals recalls | 73 days ago
2011 Hyundai Sonata (Page 1 of 8)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.
A class action lawsuit was filed in May 2015 against Hyundai that claims the 2.4L Sonata engine is defective. More info here.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 92,000 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 157 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- engine replacement (121 reports)
- not sure (27 reports)
- sold vehicle (4 reports)
- junked the car (2 reports)
- replace lower half of engine (2 reports)
- engine replaced (1 reports)