2013 Nissan Altima transmission problems: CVT shuttering, vibration, hesitation, running roughly

CVT Shuttering, Vibration, Hesitation, Running Roughly

2013 Nissan Altima (Page 1 of 8)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Nissan Altima has multiple problem trends including the CVT transmission, and now that this model is out of warranty, it earns our "Avoid Like The Plague" badge.

Owners complain about vibration and transmission failure related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission), a whining noise from the power steering pump, and constant windshield problems that appear to be the result of poor design.

Be warned: the 2014 & 2015 Nissan Altima appears to share these same problems.

8.3

$3,220

1. new transmission (51 reports)
  3. nothing fixed (20 reports)
  4. replace transmission (18 reports)
  5. cvt transmission failed; need replacement (8 reports)
  6. complete cvt replacement (6 reports)
2013 Nissan Altima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Altima:

2013 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

May 072018

Altima LS 3.2L V6

• CVT transmission

I have had this CVT stutter since 2018. It is progressively getting worse. I took it to the Dealer twice. Both times a diagnostic was run and nothing found. Dealer even said they drove and nothing was noticed. I sure did on the way home from the dealer. On the second diagnostic, the dealer said I needed a software update. Nothing changed. I called the dealership back and was told the the computer had to adapt to my driving. BULL SH#T! Do I have to wait until I have an accident and total the car. I think my next car will be a Chevy.

- Jesse M., San Antonio, TX, US

Feb 142019

Altima 2.5s

• CVT transmission

Not happy with a one owner on my 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5s. 96,040 miles. Still paying it and cvy transmission needs to be replaced. What is wrong with Nissan? A lot of recalls. Their cars don't last. Something has to be done, there a problem with this company.

- Elizabeth O., Somerspoint, US

Oct 242018

Altima S 4

• CVT transmission

CVT fails on these models and is not repairable. Rumor has it if you change some of the transmission fluid every 30k miles with $200 Nissan fluid using a special heated pump only dealers have you can make it last a little longer.

Nissan only warranties the new cvts for 12k miles.

If you notice a stutter sell it immediately. My car stalled multiple times while driving, I spent the next 50 miles taking it to multiple mechanics to figure out what was wrong and they said it was perfect and had nothing wrong. I drove to work one day, turned it off and that was the last time it drove 0-10mph without stalling the engine. We had to push start it to 10mph, drop it into drive and run every red light home.

- Mike K., Omaha, US

May 012018

Altima

Had a new transmission installed that I paid for out of my pocket, after being told that Nissan was not able to pay for this vehicle, even though I was told that I had extended warranty and seems to have the same beginning symptoms of failure as the original one. Just waiting for it to fail as well. The gear shift would constantly get stuck in park also. I was also stranded at a gas station because my car would not start.... while being pregnant. The car is a major hazard. I wouldn't recommend this car to my worst enemy.

- Sabrina A., Lewisville, US

Oct 212017

Altima SL 3.5L

• CVT transmission

My car stalls a lot and sputters. It's very embarrassing. It makes no sense that 3 months after purchasing this car the transmission starts going bad. It only had 80,000 miles. Nissan is known for making great vehicles that are still running great with high miles. The last Nissan my husband had was totaled with over 200,000 miles and was still running fine. Nissan should fix this problem that so many vehicles are affected by.

- Tameka W., Willacoochee, GA, US

Dec 202016

Altima SV

When I purchased my 2013 Nissan Altima, I was pregnant needing a new car for the new baby. In a 3wks time, I started having problems with my car. It started off by my slip light coming on and while I was driving in traffic my car slowed down. I could floor the gas pedal and I would not go anywhere. Mind you I was pregnant, so had to get my car back to the shop where they said they check everything and it was fixed. Well it happen again a couple days after they told me there was a recall on the transmission, so I sent it in to be fix.

To make a long story short, after warranty was up I still continued to have problems. I had to start paying out of pocket for fixing done to my car related to transmission, but it had only gotten worse to where the car started jerking, and wanting to go. Just a big headache, something really need to be done about this. Being a single mom, this is not fair. I only had my car for 3 years and as we speak now my car is at a shop sitting because I need a new transmission that I can not afford.

This company should be ashamed to put customer through this. I will never and either of my family will buy a Nissan vehicle. At this point I don't know what to do, I am still making car notes to a car that I can not even drive and I can not afford a transmission for $3800

- OLIVIA J., Hattiesburg, US

Feb 012018

Altima S 3.5L

• CVT transmission

Car needs to have transmission checked. The shuddering is annoying in stop and go traffic.

- Patrick E., Boynton Beach, US

Aug 062018

Altima SL

• CVT transmission

I bought my 2013 Nissan Altima used from Lexus in 2015 with only 32000 miles. The car ran great at first and got great gas mileage compared to the 2001 Altima that I had. Early in 2018 the car started to run a little rough and I immediately thought it was the transmission. I had it checked and was told there was nothing wrong, that I "probably wasn't used to the difference from a regular to a cvt transmission." To be safe I called Nissan to check on my warranty to see what they could do BEFORE it went out. They told me to get a diagnostic.

I called the dealer who told me they couldn't really do a diagnostic on a transmission, that it would have to be taken apart to be checked if I thought something was wrong. Of course this would be out of my own pocket. I was told the car was fine. So I continued driving despite the gut feeling I had.

3 months later sure as hell my transmission went out while I was driving my daughter to school at 630 in the morning. I fought with Nissan consider affairs for over a week to try and get this covered under and extended warranty that apparently was only approved for up to 2012 vehicles. Due to "lack of loyalty" they would not help with any of the cost. They did a full diagnostic and inspection and found NO CONSUMER NEGLECT.

So this was only due to a sh*tty flawed design that I was now fully financially responsible for. After I had the transmission replaced the throttle body went out and they wanted another $1500 for that. Needless to say I traded in the car.

- Paige R., Petaluma, CA, US

Oct 312018

Altima S 2.5L

Nissan has always been a trusted name in the automotive industry, but now all my friends and myself regret buying the Altima. As soon as I can, getting something else.

- Paul W. P., Georgetown, TX, US

Feb 062018

Altima ES V6

The car wouldn't accelerate at times like when on an on ramp going onto the highway (very dangerous!) and after stopping at a light. This was intermittent at first so I wasn't sure what the problem was. Mechanics couldn't replicate the problem until October 1, 2018. Of course now I'm at 64,000 miles. I tried to have Nissan help with financial assistance but they wouldn't because it was past the 50000 warranty. I've found so much documentation on the 2013 Altima transmission problem. Nissan should EXTEND THE WARRANTY OR HAVE A RECALL. This is ridiculous that all the people with the same car are having the same problem and Nissan won't acknowledge it.

- Sheila W., Weymouth, US

Oct 022018

Altima VS 2.5L

• CVT transmission

TRANSMISSION MAKES A WHINING NOISE ON INCLINE. SOMETIMES SLIGHT JERKING WHILE DRIVING.

- lrcraft25, Jonesboro, US

Sep 122018

Altima 2.4

• CVT transmission

This car is a piece of trash. I seen complaints only after buying it and I been stressed ever since I bought it. It happened to me. The transmission is no good. I bought the car used only 125000 km on it. Now I understand that 12 000 on this sh*t car is like 250000 on a 2006 Honda Accord.

I always found the transmission weird because it is my first cvt. Just recently it started choking at stop lights. I had the mechanic clean a valve and do a relearn on the transmission. 2 weeks later, started having delay to engage in drive of about 3 seconds. It's over. I need a new transmission. It's the worst buy I ever made in my life.

I just talked to a Nissan customer service agent. She listened to me and said I filed your comments I'm sorry you're not under warranty and she kept repeating the same thing.

F*CK NISSAN! DON'T DO LIKE ME, DO NOT IGNORE THE COMPLAINTS. DON'T BUY THAT PIECE OF SH*T. THEY EXTENDED THE WARRANTY ON OLDER MODELS BUT NOT ON THIS PIECE OF TRASH. $4500 OUT OF MY POCKETS. THEY DO NOT WANT TO HELP ME.

- Francis R., Montréal, QC, Canada

Jul 012018

Altima S 2.4L

• CVT transmission

I bought my 2013 Nissan Altima 2 yrs ago. I did all the recalls and services needed but Nissan just bypasses the cvt tranny issues every time I brought them up. They said that's just how these transmission run, and would not fix the problem. I had an extended warranty and when I brought it in on the 3rd time then Nissan decided I needed my tranny replaced but then tells me my warranty is now expired by 1500 miles. And they wanted $3200 for a new tranny. I am making $360 payments a month on a car that I can't drive anymore. I don't have extra money just sitting aside to fix a problem that NISSAN knows is garbage.. they need to issue a recall and make this right for all customers that purchased these vehicles..

- Kristie H., Palm Bay, US

Jan 012018

Altima SV 3.5L V6

THE CAR HAS BEEN STUDDERING WHEN GIVING IT GAS. I THOUGHT IT WAS THE TYPE OF FUEL. SO I STARTED USING MID GRADE FUEL. THE PROBLEM IS AWFUL. TAKING IT TO THE SHOP.

- Lucy Y., Eufaula, US

May 012017

• CVT transmission

Problem started when new in 2013 shuddering & vibrates still continues no repair from Nissan will drive it until it completely breaks down. Terrible transmission.

- John T., Shelton, CT, US

Jan 222018

Altima S 2.4L

• CVT transmission

My transmission is sluggish, but I keep the CVT fluid changed out every 60k miles. My car is paid for, I am keeping it too. I have 111,000 miles on it with no reason to replace it.

- George W., Spanish Fort, US

Sep 222018

Altima SV 2.5L 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

click to see larger images

CVT shuttering, vibration, hesitation, running roughly

In 2017 Nissan has me come in for a CVT Transmission upgrade. After the work was done at the Nissan of Cool Springs and I left the dealership I noticed that the car was running rough, shaking, and jolting when I accelerated. I immediately called dealership and asked to have a tech drive the car to explain the problem.

2018, at 48,000 miles the car started to stall on me when it was idle. It would start right back up, but turn off when I put it back in drive. Took it back to the Nissan of Cool Springs dealership but they did not find any error code and told me everything is working fine and charged me around $160. I also told them this has happened with in the past 2-3 time. But at that time I was not aware of the CVT issues. Recently it happened when I stopped for refueling my car. I was fortunate enough that it did not happen on the Highways.

- Sagar J., Nashville, TN, US

Aug 042018

Altima SV 2.5L

• CVT transmission

2013 Nissan Altima SV 2.5. with 90,000 miles primary car in my household. I worked remotely primarily during the majority term of the ownership. so the majority of miles are highway for personal use as I live in a remote part of Texas.

The car was a joyful experience until last Saturday(08/04/18) when car suddenly started to shudder and then when i stopped on traffic light, it stopped when I tried moving. thought maybe bad gas or some sensor. Happened twice before i can get home. I went to the dealership first thing come Monday and shared the concern they ran some test and said you have a bad transmission. Replacement cost $3900. Checked around and figured out you cannot replace parts on these transmissions. the whole thing is pre-packaged "time-bomb" in your car waiting to go off. I am angry, disappointed.

I searched internet and boy I was shocked. Till now I use to think Nissan are reliable. Wrong! Given the average life expectancy of car on US road is 8 years or 150K miles. I am caught holding short end of stick. Dang!!! Now I am working with Nissan's regional consumer affair and they are a bunch of incompetent folks. still waiting to hear from them. I am not going to let this go easy. Raised a complaint @nhtsa.dot.gov.

Folks who run into this issue, please refer to following to educate your self along with this thread which found very useful and now contributing to it: https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/jatco-cvt8ht-reliability-nissan-lawsuit.shtml http://www.autonews.com/article/20131202/OEM10/312029972/ni%20ssan-presses-jatco-to-end-cvt-glitches

I will continue to update the thread as I have an update. Ping me if I can be of any assistance. Fellow Owning Sh*tty Nissan CVT.

- Gaurav G., Houston, tx, USA

Aug 122018

• CVT transmission

In 2015 Nissan has me come in for a CVT Transmission upgrade. After the work was done at the Reed Nissan and I left the dealership I noticed that the car was running rough, shaking, and jolting when I accelerated. I immediately returned to the dealership and asked to have a tech drive the car to explain the problem.

The tech got in, rode off, came back and said it was all running fine. I accepted that and assumed it was only a momentary problem. I got back in my car and it was still doing it. I came back and asked the tech to ride with me. It did it with him in the car and he told me that the car had to "adapt to my driving style." I told him that was absolutely unacceptable. After complaining to the management, I was asked to leave because this is how the car operates now.

2018, at 48,000 miles the car started to stall on me when it was idle. It would start right back up, but turn off when I put it back in drive. Took it back to the Reed Nissan dealership after I had a different mechanic check it and provide me with a transmission code, in case the dealership gave me the run around. In the end they replaced the transmission, but only gave me a one year warranty for a new transmission that has already proven not to last.

- Luis R., Orlando, FL, US

Aug 132018

Altima

• CVT transmission

Nissan wouldn't cover even though it is a know problem with the CVT. Played a phone tag game for over a week and got nothing for it except high blood pressure and headaches. Nissan wouldn't take responsibility for selling crap cars because they'd be out of business. Had a similar problem with my previous Maxima. Will NEVER buy a Nissan again.

- meg134amt, Newport, US