CVT Shuttering, Vibration, Hesitation, Running Roughly

2013 Nissan Altima (Page 1 of 9)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Nissan Altima has multiple problem trends including the CVT transmission, and now that this model is out of warranty, it earns our "Avoid Like The Plague" badge.

Owners complain about vibration and transmission failure related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission), a whining noise from the power steering pump, and constant windshield problems that appear to be the result of poor design.

Be warned: the 2014 & 2015 Nissan Altima appears to share these same problems.

8.4

$3,120

1. new transmission (58 reports)
  3. nothing fixed (22 reports)
  4. replace transmission (22 reports)
  5. cvt transmission failed; need replacement (11 reports)
  6. complete cvt replacement (8 reports)
2013 Nissan Altima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Altima:

2013 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Nov 222019

• CVT transmission

My mechanic has quoted me $3700 for a new transmission. I just paid my car off last year. He said I should trade it in, he wouldn't even recommend replacing it as he said it's a terrible engine all together. At 75k miles I am so angry that I have to shell out almost 4K or go back to having a payment again. To read that Nissan used to offer a 10 year warranty for this and that they discontinued this in 2010 is infuriating. Clearly there is a pattern here. For this I will not ever buy a Nissan again.

- Kelley B., Smithfield, US

Oct 042019

Altima 2.4L

• CVT transmission

My 2013 Nissan Altima transmission went out on me two weeks ago. Upon taking it to the Nissan Dealership, I was then quoted a repair cost of approximately $4,000 - only to find out after further research Nissan has known for YEARS about their BS transmissions. So I decided to contact Nissan DIRECTLY about their "service campaign" for the CVT transmission that has been effective since 12/2016 and figure out why I was never notified of ANY issues prior to my warranty expiring within the past few months. I was only given the response that because I did not purchase my vehicle "brand new" I was never listed as an owner... understandable... and then I stated that I could provide proof that I have been then sole owner of my vehicle for the past 4 years, purchasing the vehicle w/ only approximately 11,000 miles and was pretty much told too late, too bad.

This has been my first time purchasing a Nissan and MY LAST FOREVERRRR for the simple fact that they are aware that the transmissions in 2013 Altima's are s*y and ridiculously expensive and still will not take full... not even PARTIAL responsibility for it's efficiency is DISGRACEFUL!!! My advise to all is DO NOT PURCHASE ANY NISSAN VEHICLE WITH A CVT TRANSMISSION!!! IT IS NOT WORTH IT AND YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!! Oh, and I was also told that they do have another "service campaign" out, OCS pertaining to the airbags, they would replace that though free of charge... but not the "service campaign" for the CVT transmission... BS!!!

- tgerald, Elgin, US

Oct 222019

Altima SL 2.5L 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

I WILL NEVER BUY A NISSAN AGAIN. THIS IS THE SECOND TIME I'VE HAD A CVT DIE BEFORE 100K. THESE ARE GARBAGE TRANSMISSIONS AND THEY WILL NOT LAST AND ARE VERY EXPENSIVE TO REPLACE.

Should have listened to Scotty...

- Joshua L., Springdale, AR, US

Aug 152018

Altima ES V6

This is THE worst trans I have ever owned!!!I will NEVER buy a Nissan again, !PERIOD. U should consisder another mfg.

- James H., Tucson, US

Aug 302019

Altima SL 2.5L

• CVT transmission

I called Nissan consumer affairs, and after paying $160 for a dealership service evaluation, they have agreed to cover 80% of the costs which I was grateful for and for them to admit to the issue and offer assistance. The dealership quoted the repair to cost $4,100 for a CVT replacement.

- hockey-mike, Franklin, US

Jun 212017

Altima SV 2.5L

• CVT transmission

I was on a family vacation and at 45k my cvt transmission failed. I was in another state and called Nissan consumer affairs to get some assistance. They were rude and kept telling me wrong information on what I needed to do. Finally I had to call AAA and get the vehicle towed as it was making this horrible grinding sound. Took it to a dealership and the service advisor told me that these vehicles are flawed and he keeps seeing this same issue.

I got a rental and finally got it back after 2 weeks. 6 months later I was driving to work and all of a sudden I lose power while trying to accelerate at a traffic signal. Took to my dealership and they said it was the transmission and it needed to be replaced. Worst car I’ve ever owned!! After fixing it the for second time I traded it in and purchased a Honda Accord.

- Daniel Anthony P., glendora, CA, US

Feb 212020

• CVT transmission

I’ve been taking the car in since I got it in 2014 because of weird noises on acceleration. Every time they have told me it’s normal. Then the car started stalling on acceleration and now it needs a whole new transmission. I see lots of complaints about the transmission failing in these cars. Nissan really needs to step up. The transmission should not be failing at 100,000 miles!

- Wendy P., Napa, US

Jan 112020

Altima S 2.5L

• CVT transmission

2013 Altima Sedan. At traffic light, engine shakes, chokes up and stalls. After 4 or 5 restarts and having to switch it into Drive from Neutral, it drives again but with some more choking.

I connected an ODBII to it and it read a code of "P0112" for MAF sensor error. I replaced the MAF sensor, and it drove fine for a week or 2 but with the same hesitation. I searched online an in Youtube and took the recommended action of cleaning the Intake manifold. I had to remove all the parts down to the manifold itself past the MAF sensor and cleaned both sides of the Intake manifold with Intake manifold cleaner. It drives better after that, smoother and quieter idle speed. I thought I had fixed the problem.

But now 2 months later the same problem resurface. The engine stalls at the traffic light after shaking, choking and making some clunky noise. The problem also occurs while driving, where I can feel the transmission disengaging and re-engaging and choking.

The Final Verdict, the rough idle speed problem I had with the "P0112" error code was separate from the engine choking and stalling which is related to and caused by the CVT issue. Now I have to take it to Nissan service shop, schedule appointment, have it towed there and all that. I've been told by folks online it will cost $3k, which I will hopefully get reimbursed for by Nissan once the Class Action lawsuit is finalized.

- toddwynn, San Jose, US

Jun 152020

Altima S 2.5

• CVT transmission

Adding another CVT gripe to the long list already on this site. Our 2013 Altima has been in for multiple software updates to help with the surging and overall terrible CVT experience with these vehicles. Not a single software update has made the issues any better, believe the most recent was actually a step back. Not sure what Nissans end game is here, attract young families with a POS Sedan, give them no support and hope they will stay with the brand... yeah, that should work :-|

Summary of main 2013 Nissan Altima issues we've experienced and added to this site... - No support from Nissan is our number one issue, never had vehicle issues like this before with so many problems. It can happen, have a dud/lemon, but to not get any support from dealers or corporate to help with a single issues time and time again after multiple confirmed visits with the same issues is terrible. - CVT surging easily the number one mechanical problem - Interior door handles our number one interior quality problem, 3 of the 4 replaced within 50k miles. - Exterior front bumper cover popping off left and right sides by wheel our number one exterior quality problem. - Rear end suspension rattles (this was recently recalled - finally) - Headlights terrible. - Never seen a thinner steel used for body panels, garbage - Keyless system frequent issues (must touch key to button, hit or miss,,, yes batteries changed many times).

- sigitysym, Export, PA, US

Apr 032021

Altima 2.5 SL 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Car was adult driven and maintained regularly at Nissan dealership. Transmission was serviced at 67k by Nissan. Without warning, the transmission started to slip, and code P17F0 was found stored in the computer. The TSB related to CVT issues has a ridiculous flowchart that only flows from finding this code straight to "replace CVT"!

I'm very disappointed in Nissan, and after owning three of them, this will be my last. I plan to go with another company with better reliability and a desire to stand behind their product.

- Paul L., Belchertown, US

Jan 012019

Altima S

• CVT transmission

Car stalls when pulling out in traffic. Never know when it is going to happen. Transmission gets stuck in 1st gear and have to pull over and restart car. Very dangerous if there is no where to pull over. Won’t drive my car with kids in it because it is not safe.

- Melanie D., Bullhead City, AZ, US

Jul 262018

Altima S 2.4L

• CVT transmission

I had been in several incidents of getting caught in traffic in a intersection, due the CVT stalling out and not shifting properly, being parked and then also just shifting into drive to take off and could not go! I took it to a local Nissan dealer shift and had to get my car repair, but I must say that I did get well welcome experience, for my service on my car, with also a rental.

- Miguelblack79 7., Racine, WI, US

Apr 112018

Altima SL 2.5L V4

• CVT transmission

Transmission shudders between 1000 and 2000 rpm. Most frequently at 1500rpm. The shudder can get excessive, particularly in warm weather, to the point that it feels like the car is going to fall apart. I have to accelerate quickly to avoid or escape from the shudder or completely let off the gas.

Update from Mar 9, 2020: At 147000 miles, my complaint is not like others. My transmission is still working even if it shudders in warm weather. The shuddering is limited and can be avoided by accelerating or letting off the gas.

- chlarge0612, Arnaudville, US

Feb 062020

Altima S

• CVT transmission

Our Nissan started running rough and between 1500-2000 rpm the car will vibrate, and run rough, my car only has 32,997 miles on it, truly sad that Nissan wont back their workmanship and their cars. I own 2 nissian cars the other is a 2015, was going to my our daughter one but since nissan will not back their cars we will buy from some other company,

- ghssmithbs, Harrisburg, US

Sep 132018

Altima SL V6

My 2013 Altima rides like a dream over 40 mph! Don't drive local , as coming up on 40mph the car shakes and shutters. Esp if turning! Passengers have asked me WTF is wrong with my car! It have a CVT, and I understand there are a lot of complaints about this issue. Should I take it to Nissan and have them see if it is the CVT issue??? I received a card with info about Nissan extending the warranty to people with this issue because of a class action lawsuit. Not sure how or what to do, I cannot afford a new trans or even fixing a problem like this!!!

- Lenore V., Cherry Hill, NJ, US

Sep 152016

Altima S 2.5L

My first advice is simple.

Don't buy Nissan Altima. They will tell you that they have fixed the problem with the transmission after 2016. That is a pure lie. It will be a nightmare to a single person or family both financially and timewise. I owned 2 Nissan Altimas, one 2006 and 2013. Both failed their transmission before reaching 100,000. I donated one to Cars4kids and the 2013, I changed the transmission at 140,000 mi. for $3,000 out of my pocket and the symptoms appeared again after 30,000 miles. The worst car ever made as I have driven and owned different cars in the past 40 years.

DON'T BUY NISSAN ALTIMA OF ANY YEAR. YOU WILL REGRET IT!

- Tesfai A., Oakland, CA, US

Mar 252019

Altima SL 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

I have a 2013 Nissan Altima 3.5L V6 with a CVT transmission. I have taken it to the dealership several times for the shuttering at low speeds (usually right around 20mph). Last year, I opened a case with Nissan to be told that there are no recalls other than reprogramming a module for my transmission and my passenger airbag intermittently not activating (which they did and didn't help either issue). Earlier this year, (March 2019) took to the dealership with the same transmission problem. They did a transmission flush and told me my problem should be better the more that I drive the car.

Today, (10/16/19) 20mph through a school zone and my car started jerking hard! I thought my car was going to stop in the middle of the road. I have an appointment with Nissan again tomorrow morning to have them look at my transmission. I am now at 119k miles since they seem to be buying time until my transmission is out completely.

If they don't make it right this time, I will never buy another Nissan again and will warn everyone I know about their CVT transmissions.

- Julie P., West Chester, US

Aug 012019

Altima

Ever since we purchased this car it had given us problems, first it started with jerking whenever there's is slow traffic, the problem was not consistent at first but with time it became more of a problem to now recently it slows down in traffic and no matter how much you press the gas pedal it refuses to get any speed. The latest incident was when I was driving in a very busy street the car began to make a loud noise and slowed down, I immediately put on my hazard lights and pulled over to the side. I sat there for like 10 minutes in the middle of traffic in rush hour, I turned on the car and drove it for an additional mile thankfully I was close to my destination but had to leave the car parked in my friend's house for a few days. I want Nissan to do a full recall of there failed CVT transmission.

- Millie D., Queens Village, NY, US

Jun 042018

Altima 3.5SL 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

I have been going back and forth with the local Nissan Dealership and directly with Nissan about the defective junk Jatco CVT. It Hesitates, Surges, Shakes, Shudders and makes some weird noises sometimes. When accelerating in the vehicle it feels like a manual transmission being driven by someone with really bad Tourettes Syndrome in the leg that is on the clutch. I made a fatal mistake of assuming Nissan had resolved this in 2012 when in reality it sounds like it wasn't fixed until 2015 sometime. If you are going to buy a used Altima make sure the CVT has been replaced in it sometime after 2015 or stay away unless you want to drop 3-4K in repairs.

- Ryan S., Grove City, OH, US

May 312019

Altima S 4 Cyclinder

• CVT transmission

this vehicle inconvenienced me going to work. i had to miss days of work due to this car and its damn cvt issues. if nissan knew that this car had issues with the cvt on this car why keep selling them? not only that when nissan knows the transmission in the 2013 altima goes why give customers issues of them fixing it. no they want you to spend almost 5,000 for it. this is the price they told me to fix my transmission. so now i still can't drive my car cause i can't afford it. also they have the 100,000 miles warranty and that's stupid as well because they don't inform you that it means for the car if it reaches over 100,000 miles and not what you put on it. now i bought my car with 30,000 miles on it and it was only 95 or 98,000 miles put on it by me so i never put 100,000 miles on my car so they should be able to fix it. and i also have an extended warranty that im paying on and can't use that either. so what the hell am i paying for it for...then i read nissan had another lawsuit where they said they extended it 130,000 miles. i only have 128,000 miles. nissan is a rip off and they need to be stopped. i filed a complaint with nissan to see what they can do and all i was told is they would send the complaint up to their regional office and someone would contact me today. i have a feeling they aren't going to do sh*t and i will have to get a lawyer involved..

- Amirh P., Bridgeport, US