- January 10: GM 5.3L Oil Consumption Lawsuit Affects Vortec Engines news | 16 days ago
- January 5: GM Transmission Lawsuit Partly Dismissed news | 21 days ago
- January 2: Cadillac, Chevy and GMC Vehicles Recalled For Seat Belts recalls | 24 days ago
- January 1: Chevy Bolt Recall: Brake Calipers May Break recalls | 25 days ago
- December 25: Chevy Shake Lawsuit Dismissed in Florida Court news | 32 days ago
Key Stuck In The Ignition
2005 Chevrolet Cobalt (Page 1 of 3)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Cobalt was introduced to replace two of Chevy’s smaller cars, the Cavalier and Prizm. But the compact’s fresh start that Chevy was hoping for was riddled with issues, most notably widespread power steering failure.
The power steering failed so often that GM was forced to issue a recall in March, 2010. Great, but what about other problems like the key getting stuck in the ignition or all the other electrical demons this car possesses?
And, oh yes — then there’s the terribly dangerous issue where the Cobalt randomly shuts off while driving. As it turns out, that problem is related to GM’s massive 2014 recall for a dangerous ignition switch defect. A recall that eventually ballooned to 2.6 million vehicles in one of the automotive industry’s biggest scandals.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 45,550 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 44 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (26 reports)
- replace shifter (10 reports)
- use key release (4 reports)
- popped access panel and hit button to remove key (2 reports)
- press reset under steering colom (1 reports)
- replace ignition (1 reports)
accessories - interior problem