- September 20: GM Lawsuit Alleges Chevy Silverado Roof is Dangerous news | 5 days ago
- August 29: Corvette Cracked Wheels Class Action Lawsuit Continues news | 27 days ago
- August 18: GM Recalls 514,000 Cadillac, Chevy and GMC Vehicles recalls | 38 days ago
- August 3: GM Flex Fuel Class Action Lawsuit Filed in Illinois news | 53 days ago
Power Steering Failure
2005 Chevrolet Cobalt (Page 1 of 7)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Cobalt was introduced to replace two of Chevy’s smaller cars, the Cavalier and Prizm. But the compact’s fresh start that Chevy was hoping for was riddled with issues, most notably widespread power steering failure.
The power steering failed so often that GM was forced to issue a recall in March, 2010. Great, but what about other problems like the key getting stuck in the ignition or all the other electrical demons this car possesses?
And, oh yes — then there’s the terribly dangerous issue where the Cobalt randomly shuts off while driving. As it turns out, that problem is related to GM’s massive 2014 recall for a dangerous ignition switch defect. A recall that eventually ballooned to 2.6 million vehicles in one of the automotive industry’s biggest scandals.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 61,350 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 128 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (73 reports)
- replaced steering column (20 reports)
- the power steering assist motor under the steering column (15 reports)
- needs new steering column (6 reports)
- need to replace assist motor and p/s mod (3 reports)
- recalled! (3 reports)