- September 21: Takata Airbag Investigation Includes 30 Million Vehicles investigations | 2 days ago
- September 16: General Motors Oil Consumption Lawsuit Dismissed news | 7 days ago
- September 1: Airbag Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Chrysler and GM news | 22 days ago
- August 23: Chevrolet Silverado 2500 and GMC Sierra 2500 Recalled recalls | 31 days ago
- August 22: GM Shift to Park Lawsuit Says Vehicles Can't Be Shut Off news | 32 days ago
Power Steering Failure
2005 Chevrolet Cobalt (Page 1 of 7)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Cobalt was introduced to replace two of Chevy’s smaller cars, the Cavalier and Prizm. But the compact’s fresh start that Chevy was hoping for was riddled with issues, most notably widespread power steering failure.
The power steering failed so often that GM was forced to issue a recall in March, 2010. Great, but what about other problems like the key getting stuck in the ignition or all the other electrical demons this car possesses?
And, oh yes — then there’s the terribly dangerous issue where the Cobalt randomly shuts off while driving. As it turns out, that problem is related to GM’s massive 2014 recall for a dangerous ignition switch defect. A recall that eventually ballooned to 2.6 million vehicles in one of the automotive industry’s biggest scandals.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 61,350 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 128 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (73 reports)
- replaced steering column (20 reports)
- the power steering assist motor under the steering column (15 reports)
- needs new steering column (6 reports)
- need to replace assist motor and p/s mod (3 reports)
- recalled! (3 reports)