6.8

$20,000

2. reprogram engine ecu (2 reports)
  3. toyota says this is normal (2 reports)
  4. replaced magnetic clutch (1 reports)
  5. software update (1 reports)
  6. the issue is now resolved by toyota t-sb-0107-19 - ecu/at (1 reports)
2019 Toyota RAV4 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2019 Toyota RAV4:

2019 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 282020

RAV4 Adventure

2019 Toyota RAV 4 Adventure, 15,885 miles. Started making a type of grinding noise on breaking for turning, then began making same noise on slow stopping at stop light or stop sign and accelerating from there. Took to Toyota dealer, head of service department rode with us to hear the noise. Turns out it was the magnetic clutch, Toyota has sent out a Technical Bulletin on this, so they are aware of the problem. Toyota fixed it a couple days ago, so far so good. RAV seems to drive better, no more of the hesitating on acceleration either.

- Johnesse N., Queen Creek, AZ, US

Oct 012019

RAV4 LE 2.2L

My 2019 Rav4 drives like a vehicle with a manual transmission and the driver is learning how to drive a stick shift for the first time. It jerks and lurches at slow speeds and when I approach a stop sign. I have had to adjust my driving habits to try and get it to drive as smooth as possible. The Toyota dealer could not find any problems with the vehicle.

Update from Jul 23, 2021: Anyone thinking of buying this vehicle should do their research.

- John P., Ajax, ON, Canada

Sep 262020

RAV4

I bought my My Rav4 2019 brand new. It has been a decent vehicle but I have noticed small hesitations/surges at stops and occasional lane changes. Since it was newer I was told that this was normal when breaking in a new car. At about 10,000 miles I was pulling up in my driveway with my foot on the brake ready to put the car in park when suddenly the car lurched forward and jumped into gear and hit the garage(I was not pulling into the garage, just parking in the driveway) It felt like a self driving component was involved. Front end of car was seriously damaged and my airbags did not deploy. I had a passenger/witness in my car and my son was inside the garage very near to where the car hit. I bought the Toyota Service plan and have taken it in twice for servicing and was never asked anything about the surges Toyota knows are occurring.

To date, there is $4,400.00 in damages to my garage and $13,000 in damages to the car. Add insurance deductibles for both the garage and car another $4000.00 in deductibles. I will be without my car for 1 month while repairs are being made. Now I am paying for a car that is significantly depreciated that I can't in good conscience sell. I am attempting to work with my insurance company and Toyota for restitution. Any advice would be appreciated.

- Monica L., Queen Creek, US

Feb 122020

RAV4 XLE 2.5L V4

Should have done more research before buying. I did buy it used with 8K on it so now I know why it was traded in, not what the salesman told me, buyer beware!

- Bill G., Summit Hill, PA, US

Nov 202019

RAV4 LE

Purchased my 2019 Rav4 LE in October of 2018. It had 17500 miles on the car when I purchased it used. I started feeling a weird jolting with the engine at lower speed around 19k miles. It seems like the gears do not shift properly. I did a google search to see if others had a similar problem as me and I came across additional forums with people stating they had the same issue. I took it to the local Toyota dealership to have it checked out. I told them I was having these issues and stated that other people were too, referring to the car forums. They took my car in and said they updated the software and it should be good now. It seemed to be fine for one day and then it started again with the lurching/jolting with the gears when driving. I took it to the Toyota dealership for a second time, telling them it is having the issue again and they said they would check it out. They had it for a day and then returned it back to me stating they couldn’t find anything wrong.... I am still having these issues and i’m furious. I purchased a Toyota because they were supposed to be reliable and safe. If I had known this was an issue with these cars I would have never bought a 2019 Rav4. There have been news articles on this issue and Toyota is still playing dumb. It’s about time they take some responsibility and make it right for their customers.

- sandiegob, San Diego, US

Nov 042019

RAV4 LE 2.5L

Bought new 2019 Rav4 had less then a week 525Km on it transmission banged into gear car jerking forward. Toyota reset the car still jerking got Toyota Canada to admit to having transmission problems. They do not have a fix. Wish Canada had lemon laws like the US. Trying to get Toyota to take car back.do not want it first Toyota I bought and will be the last. Do not buy this car big pain in the ASS.

- Derek B., Stratford, ON, Canada

Aug 262019

RAV4 XLE 2.5L

I'm no car genius, but my brand new 2019 RAV 4 I got in August is having transmission problems at lower speeds. It's a lease that I was thinking I might buy at the end of the term and now I'm hesitant because I'm afraid this will cause excessive wear and tear. I noticed when I give it a little gas and maybe take my foot off the gas pedal for it to "roll" and then reapply the gas it jerks really hard. I thought maybe it was just that motion but it happens a lot more than just in that scenario. Seems to be having more problems with transmission than my 2008 Honda Odyssey...

If Toyota doesn't address this I'll be taking my business elsewhere, if they do I'll probably end up buying the Rav4 as planned

You buy a Toyota for the reliability, I'm not angry but please just fix it..

- Juliana R., Philadelphia, US

Jun 012019

RAV4 XLE AWD

At low speeds, the car lurches and kicks forward with a whiplash effect when re-accelerating, unless the car has come to a complete stop for full 2 seconds. It almost feels like the car doesn't shift into first gear until you press the acceleration, at which point you get sent forward by half a metre. Dangerous at times and almost caused an accident yesterday when i lightly tapped acceleration to reach the stop sign line.

Similar to this is how when braking, the car hesitates until it comes to a complete stop. Almost like it needs to slow down in sequences.

I'm so disappointed, I don't know where to begin. Complaint sent to Toyota Woodland. Let's see how this goes. Will update.

- Julien H.,

Apr 102019

RAV4 XLE 2.0L ?Pennsylvania

We have this shutter, slip, hesitation in speeding up when at a slow or stopped forward momentum. I did have the dealership look at and at that time, was able to see this issue during its first check up. They started this was nothing they were able to change and that it was fine as is. I made sure they documented it and confirmed that I was updated with any changes. That was about 3 months ago and we are still having this issue and it seems to becoming more of an pain to deal with

- Jason C., Denver, Pennsylvania , US

Apr 272019

RAV4 XLE AWD

Same as all complaints on here about low speed or rolling stops with car jerking & noise. No problems when normal drive but slow to a stop or under 5mph & give gas car jerks forward almost like everything shuts down for second then boom power back on. Dealer is trying to find solution but i think factory is giving them the run around. I agree with class action lawsuit get this crap fixed before someone gets killed.

- Dennis R., Painesville, US

Apr 012019

RAV4

The new 2019 Toyota Rav 4 is full of problems. I am in the midst of addressing the problems with my dealer Copeland Toyota. As with all of the complaints below, mine is the same regarding slow acceleration to a point that this car is a safety hazard. At a stop sign or traffic light, when putting foot on gas pedal, there is a noticeably concerning delay and almost a kick back of the car, and at times it feels like it is going even stall out. When on the highway, it is a big safety concern. I've experienced it when changing lanes and someone is driving closely behind me. When accelerating to move over, the vehicle does the opposite and kicks back which has caused me to be in a near accident situation. Toyota must address these issues.

Also the Scout/Entue is AWFUL. Not only does it lose occasional signal which I have had to learn to tolerate, but it now NEVER connects to my phone which is required in order for it to work on the monitor! The Rav 4 is full of issues. I am not one to ever complain. This is my 5th Toyota and the first time I have complained and I feel that my complaints and concerns are valid where these are not just sweet "features" of a car that are not working properly. These are NECESSITIES that Toyota provides in this car, that are SAFETY CONCERNS because they are not working properly. I am waiting for a response from Toyota on how they plan to correct these valid concerns.

- Heather Y., Bridgewater, MA, US

Aug 192019

RAV4 LE 2.5L

Brought my RAV into the dealership today, 8/19 for issue of lurching at low speed and low gear shift. Toyota released a TSB, Toyota Service Bulletin, (similar to a recall) and fixed it under an hour for me for free. Toyota is aware and fixed the issue. I enjoyed my drive home and had no hesitation!

Update from Sep 25, 2019: Toyota Service Bulletin#: T-SB-0107-19

- Brianna S., Anoka, MN, US

Jul 262019

RAV4 XLE 2.5L I4

Early production RAV4's (1/19) are especially bad for lurching and not being in the correct gear when you don't come to a complete stop, at about 1-4 mph. In addition, when you let off the gas, and reapply gently, the transmission clunks and socks the drivetrain a bit.

I drove a newer production RAV4 (build date 5/19), and it was smoother. The Low speed jerk happened only a few times over 1,000mi, and there was no drivetrain shock or clunk.

- Dee J., Los Angeles, US

Jun 282019

RAV4 XLE 2.5L

I bought my 2019 Toyota Rav 4 approx. 3 months ago. At the end of June, I started noticing that i when WAS TRAVELING AT LOW SPEED and applying the brakes, the car would suddenly Lunge forward as if I were accelerating. The problem persisted, so i went in to the Service Department at my Toyota dealership, Headquarter Toyota in Miami, Fl. where one of the mechanics advised me that this was NORMAL!!!! i am really dissatisfied with my experience with this vehicle so far!

- Ignacio Y., Hialeah, FL, US

May 102019

RAV4 LE 2.5L V4

I noted the problem in the first week of ownership. When resuming from a slowing stop the transmission abruptly drops a gear and jerks forward hard. I do not step on it but resume normally. I generally drive or treat my cars gently wanting them to last as long as possible.

Some people described the forward Jerking as a whiplash effect. I would agree with that.

Another distressing characteristic is when coming to a complete stop the transmission seemingly drops into first with a pronounced but noticeable thump. Just about every time.

This happens in all Three driving modes [ Eco, Normal, Sport ]

Initially when the Auto Parking brake mechanism was on, the forward jerking was quite pronounced. After reading what seems like hundreds of posts on Edmunds.com I disabled the Auto Parking Brake and it did soften the force of the forward jerking . This problem is very disappointing to say the least. The only way to avoid this behavior is to come to a complete stop and then resume. This is not always practical when driving in heaving traffic.

We were at a park yesterday when another 2019 Rav4 owner pulled in. I asked him how he was liking his new purchase and while he was happy with it, he did mention the slow rolling stop jerky resume problem . His was the AWD LE model.

I did report the behavior to Wayne Toyota in Thunder Bay . The Service Manager was pleasant and professional and after a road test with me performed a computer scan. It did not reveal "Anything Abnormal". But he did reveal that 2 others Rav4 owners has mentioned the issue. As with others in online forums he concluded that waiting on Toyota to come out with a fix for this was the only solution.

This Rav4 LE performs very nicely on the highway and I specifically appreciate the Radar Cruise. But this Transmission issue really takes a lot of Joy out of Driving a brand new $30+ Thousand dollar Car.

I am hoping Toyota steps up to the plate and figures some way to resolve this issue. That would restore my confidence in Car companies and make this Rav4 owner very happy.

Otherwise, will drive for 3 years and trade in on a Subaru Forester.

Thanks CarComplaint.com

- dstpierre, Thunder Bay, ON, Canada

May 252019

RAV4 LE AWD 2.5L

I PURCHASED MY NEW 2019 TOYOTA RAV4 BACK IN MAY AND STARTED NOTICING A FEW WEEKS LATER JERKING AND LAUNCHING AT LOW SPEEDS. OR, WHEN COMING TO A STOP I WOULD FEEL THE CAR VIBRATE AND HEAR A KNOCKING SOUND. I DON'T FEEL A 100% CONFIDENT DRIVING THIS CAR. ALSO FEELING DISAPPOINTED SINCE ITS MY FIRST TOYOTA AND I'VE HEARD NOTHING BUT GOOD THINGS, SOME EVEN CALL THEM BULLET PROOF. BUT I FEEL THAT THE QUALITY IN THE BRAND IS GOING DOWN. I HOPE TOYOTA CAN FIND A FIX FOR THIS ISSUE.

- Angel F., Union City, US

Apr 242019

RAV4 Trail 2.5L

Hello Toyota world please fix my car. I not comfortable every ride in my car.

- Bollero M., Hamilton, ON, Canada

Mar 012019

RAV4 XLE 2.5L

I have noticed that whenever I am either at a full stop, or in the process of slowing down (say for a red light that turns green right as I approach the intersection) and then accelerate again- the car will "jerk" or "lurch". I am not accelerating violently either. (Occurs in Normal, Eco, and Sport).

- rav42019, Rochester, US

Apr 302019

RAV4 XLE Premium

Vehicle hesitates when accelerating after rolling stops, such as at traffic lights that change to green as you approach them. Once the car responds to depressing the accelerator, the car will jerk forward, which can cause you to easily rear-end someone if you are not conscientious of the issue.

- mljohnston285, South Plainfield, US

Jun 302019

RAV4 LE 2.5L 4 cyl

The transmission hesitates at starts from stops. When you floor the pedal to test the response, the transmission takes 6-10 seconds to get out of first gear and get into normal speed gears. It also jerks when stepping on gas to go from a stop sign or making a turn and is very sluggish. It also lacks power when turning or accelerating and the sluggish transmission is a major issue with these vehicles. The issues occurs primarily while slowing down and stopping and then accelerating, like in a rolling stop scenario or during stop and go traffic. On the freeway the vehicle is great. Elsewhere, it is less than great and needs to be recalled by Toyota.

Update from Oct 21, 2019: I have noticed a burning transmission smell from the engine when driving long periods or coming off a freeway. It is faint but noticeable and though no fluid spots on the pavement, it is a very odd odor for a brand new vehicle. I love the vehicle but I don't see myself owning it for life. Toyota claims nothing is wrong with it. I think we all have been scammed.

Update from Feb 3, 2020: I took my 2019 Rav4 le bought in June 2019, to a local dealer with the T-SB-0107-19 - ECU/AT PDF I printed out for them with the new codes to program it and the RAV4 drives perfectly and I am amazed. It drives just like a RAV4 should with no hesitation no hard jerk and in fact the engine is a little bit quieter and the ride is a hell of a lot smoother now

Toyota finally fixed the problem in that dealer I took it to told me he has had hundreds of people return their vehicles that he knows of and there was no fix but glad i found it released in August 2019

The dealer was unaware of this and was very appreciative of the information and is using it for all of the vehicles prior to August 2019

here is the recall sheet to give to your dealer https://www.rav4world.com/attachments/t-sb-0107-19-pdf.144924/

- Paul C., Houston, TX, US