ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2008 Toyota RAV4 engine problems: excessive oil consumption

Excessive Oil Consumption

2008 Toyota RAV4 (Page 1 of 5)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Pretty Good

7.8

2. replace pistons and seals (17 reports)
  3. see t-sb -0094-11 google it (12 reports)
  4. new pistons, rings, and bearings (3 reports)
2008 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota RAV4:

2008 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Feb 052018

RAV4 Limited 2az

Never received notice from Toyota about this problem. Have had vehile since new. Several months before Feb. 2018 had engine oil light flash now and then. Checked oil level, 3 quarts low. Added oil, started checking on line about loss of oil. We change oil regularly, and have taken vehicle in for any recall notice we have received - no notice sent to us about excessive oil consumption. Contacted dealer as vehicle was close to the 10 year limit. Ours is a low milage so shouldn't have made any difference.

They changed oil and "sealed" engine, but won't show me the oil level before sealing. This is Toyota's oil consumption test. Looked on line a found several instances of dealers over filling engine to help make sure engine would pass test (less than 1 qt oil in 1100-1300 miles). What a surprise, when returned engine had only used 3/4 qt oil (1221 miles), so "no problem" according to Toyota. Started checking oil and after 1164 miles oil level is down 1 qt! Went back to dealer for "free" top off and requested a receipt showing mileage and the amount of oil added. Got push back from them for a receipt, but insisted and they reluctantly gave me what I asked for.

618 miles more and am down another 1/2 qt of oil. Strange that I am not allowed to see oil level for their "test", and "all is good", but if I monitor consumption "all is not good". They say vehicle is now past the ten year limit and it passed their test, so any repair cost is solely on us. Toyota admits there is an issue with their engine design, and has corrected on new engines, but "too bad" if you have the earlier version.

- pnd, Yakima, US

May 022018

RAV4

Very disappointed in Toyota, owned a 2000 Camry, 360,000 miles on original engine and not a drop of oil consumption, as a matter of fact very little problems beyond the normal maintenance. Sold that to buy this RAV4 and did not come here first to do my research because of Toyota's reputation for quality and their Genchi Genbutsu problem solving techniques, not to mention the awesome experience I had with the Camry.

To bad now that I have researched this problem and how they did-not really take care of their customers I am finding out they they are now no better than their American counterparts for quality and standing behind their product, and maybe worse- would have never guessed it

- Jeff V., Hersey, MI, USA

Mar 082018

RAV4 ES V4

The excessive oil consumption came to light approximately one year ago (94,000 miles). I then began to notice the oil light on much sooner than the recommended time to change the oil. I began checking the oil myself every two weeks and noted it was down between 1/2 - 1 quart. The car currently has 100,300 miles.

Unfortunately, prior to purchasing this car I owned a 1998 Camry. At 75,000 miles that car (mind you with a full oil tank) blew a rod/piston through the engine. That car was replaced by the RAV 4. I was told by the dealer- "that sometimes happens, sorry."

I did some research and learned the RAV 4 has a history of excessive oil consumption and the cost to repair was close to the value of the car.

I purchased both my Toyota's based on the reputation of the brand. I will never purchase another Toyota and will discourage anyone else from doing so. I recently purchased a Honda CR-V.

- Annamarie H., Massapequa, US

Mar 062018

RAV4 2.4L

My car is consuming oil at an unusual and unacceptable rate. Toyota knows this is an issue with this car, set up an "oil consumption test" as an extended warranty, then when my vehicle barely "passed" (meaning it does not qualify for them to get it fixed on their dime), refuses to take responsibility for it. Now I will have to deal with monitoring the oil for the life of the car.

- Lucy F., Salem, US

Aug 012017

RAV4 2.4L

Great vehicle except it uses oil like it is going out of style. You almost need to run a hose to a 5 gal. container just to keep oil in the engine.

- Eddie M., Powell, TN, US

Jul 142010

RAV4 SAP 2.4L

I would put it as follows: Toyota Sucks ... Oil.

5 Quarts of oil per 1,500 kms is absurd. And I don't know how he burns it because smoke isn't coming from the exhaust. Leakages aren't found, nothing. So this car has no spare wheel, which I already find bizarre, but on top of that it is thirsty as a mad man. The car drives absolutely fantastic, I love this 2008 RAV4. But the oil thirst is killing. I pay US$300,- per month only on oil. I can have a landfill made out of yellow Penzoil cans.

My advice, sell the car if the oil thirst annoys you, because the problem is not to be solved.

- Richard E., Paramaribo, Suriname

Apr 012018

RAV4 2.4L

Need to get a oil change every 1200 miles, there is no other solution.

- Pavan R., Sewickley, PA, US

Jan 232018

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

Toyota has a Warranty Enhancement Service recall on Oil Consumption. The limits were 150,000 miles and 10yrs. I am at 182,000 miles and coming up on 10years and I was told I am outside the limits of the recall.

Seems if under 10 years I should be still with in the limits.

- Ed S., Hurst, TX, US

Aug 312017

RAV4 Limited 2.4L 4 cyl

Vehicle has had regular (3000-4000 mile) oil changes for as long as I have had the car (since Sep 2010). About 1 year ago, oil consumption became very noticeable. Oil use increased to 1 qt (high mileage oil) every thousand miles. Valve cover gaskets were replaced in Jan 2017. Oil was checked every 1000 miles and oil was added each time. Within the last 2 months, oil use has increased (again) to about 1 1/2 qts. every 800 miles. There is no sign of an oil leak in carport, the engine does not smoke (exhaust), and there is no oil residue in air filter box. I now have to check the oil every 500 miles just to make sure it is at correct level.

Update from Feb 12, 2018: Now Oil is added - 1- 1 1/2 qt every 600 miles.

- drtcwilliamstw, Coldwater, US

Jan 042017

RAV4 2.4L

I have been carrying oil in my car for over a year now, tracking how often I add it and how much I add. I am afraid to drive anywhere without it. I put about 300 miles a week on my car and so have to be very careful to check read the dipstick about every other week.

Toyota initially resealed my lower oil pan in May of 2017 at 156,663 miles for $353.00 in an attempt to fix a supposed oil leak. I showed them my records of how often I am adding how much oil in October of 2017 at 161,555 miles and they did a complete engine flush among other things that totaled $621.00 and then suggested I spend $3800.00 for engine diagnostic/repair.

I had a local trustworthy mechanic change my oil last week and he is the one who pointed out to me that there is a consumption issue with my Toyota engine. I was livid and disappointed that the dealer never mentioned that on any of the very expensive occasions they serviced me car. I don't know what to do. I am a 62 year old working female who spends a fair amount of time on the highway each week traveling alone. I was hoping to drive this car another 3 years before replacing it.

Even if I was to buy a new car now, I don't trust owning another Toyota and I would feel guilty to sell this problem vehicle to someone else. It has been expensive to maintain. This oil consumption issue is just the latest problem.

- kfite, Tahlequah, US

Dec 152017

RAV4 2.4L

I bought the RAV4 new in 2008 (my first new car, after 40 years of driving), and have been very pleased with it. It has been very reliable, but last week my wife was driving home from work and the oil light came on every time she braked, which was strange because there was still 2,000 miles to go to our next oil change (we have always maintained the car regularly and had the oil changed every 5,000 miles).

I checked the oil and was amazed to find that there was very little oil left in the engine. In all, it took 5 quarts of oil to fill. I took the car in the next day to have it checked over, and they replaced the oil filter and put in a new PCV valve. Then they checked over the car but could not find anything wrong - so they looked to see if a Service Bulletin had been issued - it had: T-TCI-4320. Basically this states that the 'fix' is to completely replace the piston assembly - we were told this would cost in the range of $4,000 to $5,000!

Looking online, I see that this is a common problem with the RAV4 manufactured between 2006 and 2008 - and obviously Toyota are aware of it (and I believe are also aware it is due to their poor design). From what I have found so far, however, we are not covered for the repairs.

How can that be? Once again, another story of the ordinary people being muscled over by big corporations!

- Stephen D., Weare, US

Oct 102017

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

I have a Toyota Rav 4 (2008), which I love. It has been a wonderful car. No real problems to speak of. But at around 146,000 miles I was surprised to see my oil light come on 1/4 of the way through my regular maintenance schedule. I added oil and made a mental note to bring it up to my mechanic. Another 1/4 of the way the oil light comes back on. I had to add more oil. My car has 149,000 miles on it now. I have had my car in for maintenance every 5,000 miles since I bought it new. It is now burning about 1 quart every 1200 miles. This just happens to be the amount that Toyota calls a problem and excessive, but my car is out of warranty. I was hoping to keep my car for several more years. This is very disappointing, especially since people have always said “Get a Toyota, they last forever”.

- Donna F., Jupiter, US

Aug 102017

RAV4 4 cyl

Vehicle not driven hard-mostly city driving-well taken care of-regular oil changes-oil consumption excessive-using

2 1/2-3 quarts of oil between changes. Not understanding why This Rav4 has not been recalled. I know I'm not the only one with this problem.

- Robert V., Broadview Hts., US

Sep 172015

RAV4

I noticed this issue a few months after purchasing my 2008 RAV4 a few years ago privately.

I go through about 7 litres of extra oil between my regular services.

I have tried to sort this out with Toyota but they are no help.

Hoping this will be recalled eventually!

- Jade S., Vic, Australia

Sep 232017

RAV4 4WD 2.4L V4

I bought this brand new RAV4 in 2008. Around at 50000 miles, the engine oil light turns on when brake or sharp turn. Take it to Toyota dealer, they do the excessive oil consumption test and passed. I thought it is OK now. but before next oil change, the lights turned on again. and I took it to dealer again, they did the test again and said it is pass again. Now there are still 2000 miles away from the next oil change. the lights turns on again.

The dealer don't do anything for me and ask me to open another test ticket from Toyota, but never success.

I just need the Toyota take the responsibility and get this problem fix completely.

- tcadmz, Portland, Andorra

Sep 182013

RAV4 2.4L

Engine started using oil excessively at about 60,000 miles. No external leaks. Has been getting worse as time passes.

- Steven K., Eastsound, US

Feb 012017

RAV4 2.4L

I have a 2008 Toyota RAV4. Oil consumption started to become a problem a while ago, but I really started paying attention and tracking it in the last six months. I go through a quart of oil a week, and I put anywhere from 300-600 miles on the car in that period. I complained about it to my dad, who is the family auto mechanic, and he told me that is ridiculous (which even I could figure out - a quart of oil a week is not right!). He drilled the importance of checking the oil into me since I could drive, and I'd say I've been really good (especially lately) about staying on top of it, but it is frustrating to a) go through that much oil and b) worry about what might happen if I miss a week or put off checking it for too long. We bought this car certified pre-owned from a Toyota dealership in 2013, and we've been really good about keeping up on the general maintenance, etc. Understandably, I'm concerned about the outcome of this problem. I like my Toyota and would like to continue driving it, but I'm worried about will become of my car (and my family, when the worst happens while we're driving it). I understand that constantly adding oil isn't going to fix the problem.

- Leah H., Port Hadlock, WA, US

Jun 012013

RAV4 Limited 2.4L

I have been following up with a local dealer and Toyota for a few years now. We had an oil consumption test done and ever since they have been telling me that they will fix it once spares arrive. Now their story has changed, both at the dealer end as well as Toyota, they say they have no record of oil consumption test failing! What was 1 quart every 500 miles is now a whole gallon every 500-600 miles at 183K miles.. We were always a Toyota family. Would never buy a Toyota if this problem not suitably addressed.

- Ash R., Bridgewater, NJ, US

Jan 012016

RAV4 Limited 2.4L

I own Toyota Rav 4 2008 Limited for 9 years. I am tired of changing oils for the car for last 2 years. I got a letter from Toyota stating that they will fix the excessive oil consumption issues under extended warranty maintenance. But when I contacted the dealership, they are saying there is rust on the car and they will fix it only if I pay the cost that might be ranging from500 dollars to more than 1000 dollars. I have contacted Toyota executive office to discuss the matter but sorry to inform you all that I got a very harsh treatment from the executive rep. She was not even ready to reply my emails and informed me that she will only talk to me through phone, not thru email. After a serious discussion over the phone, she finally replied to my emails but said they won't do anything to fix my issues. I feel terrible now. I am changing my car oil every 1000 miles and Toyota is not ready to do anything to fix my issues. I am scared that my car will stop running soon. I even copied my mail to the president and never got a reply from him also regarding the harsh treatment from the rep.

- M J., Missouri City, US

Mar 242017

RAV4

We had to add 3 quarts of oil at 3500 miles after the 120,000 mile service. (This brought the total to 5 Quarts of oil added since the last service)

- John P., Raleigh, US