- October 7: GM Recalls 31,600 SUVs For Fiery Windshield Wiper Motors
- August 23: General Motors Recalls Chevrolet Impala Over Airbag Problems
- August 14: GM Recalls 73,000 Chevrolet Cobalt Cars Over Airbag Failures
- July 20: GM Recalls 10 Chevy Cruze and Chevy Volt Cars
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.
The 2006 added it’s own special flare with gas leaks due to cracks in the “return portion of the modular reservoir assembly.” A recall of 2006 Cobalts was issued to fix the problem, but only to vehicles sold in or current registered in Arizona and Nevada, leaving other owners to pay for repairs themselves.
Between this car stalling while driving, giving owners fits with power steering failure and having it be a potential tinderbox because of gas leaks, we felt we had no other option than to award it our “Avoid Like the Plague” badge.
Worst 2006 Cobalt Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- interior accessories problems82NHTSA complaints: 20
- steering problems56NHTSA complaints: 1113
- engine problems48NHTSA complaints: 126
- fuel system problems15NHTSA complaints: 370
- AC / heater problems11NHTSA complaints: 5
- body / paint problems10NHTSA complaints: 46
- brakes problems7NHTSA complaints: 80
- suspension problems6NHTSA complaints: 44
- windows / windshield problems6NHTSA complaints: 11
- seat belts / air bags problems5NHTSA complaints: 125
- exterior accessories problems4NHTSA complaints: 39
- lights problems4NHTSA complaints: 13
- transmission problems4NHTSA complaints: 53
- wheels / hubs problems3NHTSA complaints: 12
- cooling system problems1
- electrical problems1NHTSA complaints: 340
- exhaust system problems1NHTSA complaints: 5
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 65
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 21
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 4
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Chevrolet Cobalt Model Years
Curious how the 2006 Cobalt compares to other years?
Check out our Chevrolet Cobalt overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Cobalt.