- October 22: GM Recalls Chevy Express and GMC Savana Vans recalls | 2 days ago
- September 17: GM Says Takata Airbag Recall of 980,000 Vehicles is Unnecessary news | 37 days ago
- September 9: General Motors Recalls 4 Million Vehicles recalls | 45 days ago
- August 27: GM Recalls 383,000 Cars, SUVs and Police Pursuit Vehicles recalls | 58 days ago
- August 17: Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Recalled Due To Stalling recalls | 68 days ago
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.
The 2006 added it’s own special flare with gas leaks due to cracks in the “return portion of the modular reservoir assembly.” A recall of 2006 Cobalts was issued to fix the problem, but only to vehicles sold in or current registered in Arizona and Nevada, leaving other owners to pay for repairs themselves.
Between this car stalling while driving, giving owners fits with power steering failure and having it be a potential tinderbox because of gas leaks, we felt we had no other option than to award it our “Avoid Like the Plague” badge.
Worst 2006 Cobalt Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- interior accessories problems83NHTSA complaints: 20
- steering problems61NHTSA complaints: 1172
- engine problems54NHTSA complaints: 144
- fuel system problems18NHTSA complaints: 409
- AC / heater problems11NHTSA complaints: 5
- body / paint problems10NHTSA complaints: 46
- brakes problems7NHTSA complaints: 89
- suspension problems6NHTSA complaints: 47
- transmission problems6NHTSA complaints: 53
- windows / windshield problems6NHTSA complaints: 11
- seat belts / air bags problems5NHTSA complaints: 134
- exterior accessories problems4NHTSA complaints: 41
- lights problems4NHTSA complaints: 13
- wheels / hubs problems3NHTSA complaints: 12
- cooling system problems1
- electrical problems1NHTSA complaints: 364
- exhaust system problems1NHTSA complaints: 5
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 74
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 21
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 4
Stay Up to Date
Compare Chevrolet Cobalt Model Years
Curious how the 2006 Cobalt compares to other years?
Check out our Chevrolet Cobalt overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Cobalt.