- April 10: GM Re-Recalls Ignition Switch For Another Defect
- April 8: GM Fined $7,000 a Day For Missing Ignition Switch Deadline
- March 31: GM Recalls 1.3 Million Cars for Power Steering Problems
- March 30: GM Recalls 662,000 Vehicles Due to Broken Axles and Fire Risks
- March 29: Emergency Motion Filed Against GM to 'Park It Now'
- March 28: GM Recalls Another 824,000 Cars for Ignition Switch Defect
- March 28: GM Issues Chevy Cruze Stop Sale
- March 17: It's March Madness For GM: Another 1,500,000 Vehicles Recalled
- February 21: The Most American-Made Car Brand
- January 21: 10 Out of 11 Minicars Flunk Crash Test
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.
The 2006 added it’s own special flare with gas leaks due to cracks in the “return portion of the modular reservoir assembly.” A recall of 2006 Cobalts was issued to fix the problem, but only to vehicles sold in or current registered in Arizona and Nevada, leaving other owners to pay for repairs themselves.
Between this car stalling while driving, giving owners fits with power steering failure and having it be a potential tinderbox because of gas leaks, we felt we had no other option than to award it our “Avoid Like the Plague” badge.
Worst 2006 Cobalt Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Want help understanding this graph?
- steering problems73NHTSA complaints: 987
- interior accessories problems39NHTSA complaints: 20
- engine problems35NHTSA complaints: 68
- electrical problems24NHTSA complaints: 150
- fuel system problems15NHTSA complaints: 303
- AC / heater problems9NHTSA complaints: 2
- body / paint problems8NHTSA complaints: 31
- brakes problems6NHTSA complaints: 49
- cooling system problems6
- suspension problems6NHTSA complaints: 36
- windows / windshield problems6NHTSA complaints: 8
- exterior accessories problems5NHTSA complaints: 35
- seat belts / air bags problems4NHTSA complaints: 55
- transmission problems4NHTSA complaints: 49
- lights problems3NHTSA complaints: 8
- wheels / hubs problems3NHTSA complaints: 11
- exhaust system problems1NHTSA complaints: 4
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 35
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 12
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 4
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Chevrolet Cobalt Model Years
Curious how the 2006 Cobalt compares to other years?
Check out our Chevrolet Cobalt overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Cobalt.