CarComplaints.com Notes: The first year for Chevrolet's replacement for the S-10.

3.8

2004 Chevrolet Colorado brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Colorado:

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Owner Comments

Oct 232008

Colorado 5-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Colorado. The contact heard a loud growling noise and the vehicle pulled to the right while traveling over 30 mph. The ABS warning indicator illuminated when the growling noise was heard. The dealer stated that the driver's side hub failed and would cost over $700 to repair. Her VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 06V139000 (exterior lighting:brake lights:switch). The failure and current mileages were less than 40,880. Updated 02/24/09. The vehicle pulled to the right when the brakes were applied. The brake sensors were bad. Updated 02/05/09.

- Zephyr Hills, FL, USA

Mar 012008

Colorado

No crashes or injuries yet. My complaint is about the ABS wheel sensor on my 2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4X4 ls Z71. It is not functioning correctly. After I start the truck the ABS light will come on with a tone plus a message in the D.I.C. "ABS fault". I have discussed this problem with my local Chevrolet dealer. They have informed me that my ABS wheel sensor is not working properly. As far as I can tell that means that my ABS brakes (safety feature) is not working. My truck is up for inspection in February 2009. I'm pretty sure that it will not pass because of this problem. My truck has less then 44,000 miles as of today. I asked my local dealer on a rough estimate on fixing the problem. They informed me that it would be in the $700-$800 range. Yes, my warranty is up. But I feel that this problem is more of a safety issue. The ABS is a safety feature on all newer vehicles today. I could not purchase this truck without this feature. Therefore sense I did not have the option to purchase the truck without ABS. I feel that General Motors should take responsibility to fix the problem.

- Williamson, NY, USA

Jul 012008

Colorado

Engineering defect of adjuster causes rear brakes to lock up. A tsb was issued but remedy will cause problem of brakes not adjusting correctly in the future.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Aug 292007

Colorado 5-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Colorado. The contact stated that the brakes squeak and squeal at various speeds. The dealer replaced the brakes with metallic brakes on August 29, 2008 and the noise stopped temporarily. When the vehicle was taken in for an alignment on December 31, 2007, the squeaking and squealing recurred. On July 3, 2008, the brakes on all four wheels were inspected, adjusted, and cleaned. On July 7, 2008, the front brake pads were replaced with ceramic brakes due to the squeaking noise. On July 9, 2008, the front rotors were replaced at no charge. Currently, the dealer wants to replace the front brake system for $1,500. The dealer will not replace the brakes themselves because there is a disclaimer in the owner's manual regarding the brakes squeaking. The contact stated that because the brakes did not squeak for a period of time when the original ceramic tires were on the vehicle, the metallic brakes should not have been placed on the vehicle because they caused the failure. In addition, the driver's side front rotor was warped and rusted from the wrong brake shoes being placed on the vehicle, and the passenger rotor has deep grooves. The current mileage was 72,477 and failure mileage was 66,014. Updated 07/29/08 updated 07/29/08.

- Eaton, OH, USA

Aug 092005

Colorado 5-cyl

Purchased 2004 Chevy Colorado sport with lowered suspension in May 2004. The brake system has never been 100%. it will vary in degrees of pressure required to adequately slow down, or even stop the vehicle. It has been in to the dealer three times and each time they state nothing is wrong. The brakes also squeal with less than 9,800 miles on it and they state this normal. There have been several times we were driving and I attempted to stop the truck and it would either jerk very harshly or would require excessive peddle pressure to stop. I have driven two other exact same models and years and they do not have the problem, there for this vehicle is faulty. Last attempt to solve issue resulted in very rude service manager giving me GM phone # and basically telling me off and to leave dealership to contact them. I will never purchase a GM vehicle again and will be claiming a lemon law right on this one.

- Bryan, OH, USA

Sep 062004

Colorado 5-cyl

The vehicle tends not slow down when the vehicle is going down hill and the driver is down shifting and braking. Owner will contact manufacturer. The engine and transmission doesn't provide braking when shifting to a lower gear when going down a hill.

- Struthers, OH, USA

Jan 042004

Colorado

When applying brakes pedal proceeded to the floor and pulsated without warning.

- Roanoke, VA, USA