Print this page Notes: The first year for Chevrolet's replacement for the S-10.

2004 Chevrolet Colorado electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Colorado:

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Nov 012010

The HVAC blower motor resistor assembly melted on the vehicle. The current passing through the unit is sufficient to melt the connector and degrade the wires to brittle. I believe this is a possible fire hazard. A number of co-owners have found the same defect. The connection in question terminal (C) goes to a ground distribution block that might not be sufficient.

- Concord, NC, USA

Jul 152007

Front turn signal lights don't work fixed twice now saying the fuse box is the problem. Blower motor does not work after 3 blower motor resistors a new blower motors and connectors. Sometimes the radio does not work. The truck has stalled driving on the highway 3 times all loss of power.

- Oakland, TN, USA

Oct 092010

Colorado 5-cyl

2004 Chevy Colorado ZQ8 HVAC blower harness and resistor. Part was replaced at approximately 15,000 miles under mfg warranty with identical parts. Again out of warranty with no new revised parts at 45,000 and now again at 77,000 miles. Harness and resistor failure had gotten so hot each time that it had melted the harness to the resistor. Possible fire hazard, with severely burnt wires. Looking it up on forums this is common on all GM model Colorado and canyon trucks, GM knows of the problem, but refuses to offer a revised part or real solution.

- Sweetwater, TN, USA

Sep 302010

I replaced a second brake light switch. First one was replaced under recall. Dealer said no open recalls for my vehicle. I had to pay out of pocket. Since this is only a $10 part, it's not the price but the safety issue. I have filed a complaint with you on this same issue on 12/16/2005 - (please refer to ODI number 10145757). Again I don't know how long this switch was defective, but I have noticed other vehicles tailgating more frequently in the last couple of weeks. This could have been out a day, or months. I am very concerned with a future accident, or an accident involving other 2004 Chevy Colorado owners, since the part I just purchased from the dealer has the identical part # - 25796381 - as the one I replaced. Without going into major detail, I again ask you to refer to the above ODI # as this complaint has the identical basis. Since I only have 44,900 miles on my truck, I would like to see a permanent fix for this part since it is a dangerous situation to drive without brake lights. Thanks for your time.

- Shenandoah, PA, USA

Apr 152009

I have a 2004 Chevy Colorado. The problem I am having with my vehicle is the A/C switch will not work on setting 1 through 3. although 4 works all the time. I have had it fixed 3 times since I bought the truck by a Chevy dealer yet the problem keeps happening, and once again it has stopped working. I have read many automobile forums and it seems many people are having the same problem yet Chevy has yet to issue a recall.

- Marion, IL, USA

Jul 102010

I have a 2004 Chevy Colorado, and this past week the brake light switch went out and caused my brake lights and cruise control to not function. My mechanic informed me that there was recall 09V310000 to address this issue. When I called my local dealer, they said that the recall was already filled in 2007 by the previous owner, and they could not help me. When I called GM corporate office, they said that due to the high miles (125,000) on my truck and the recall already being filled that they could not help me. The woman on the phone said that if the miles were not so high they would help me out. Also, she then went on to say that even with high miles they would have fixed it if the recall wasn't taken care of in 2007. She said that GM will not take care of a recall a second time even if it is the same problem recurring. It is ridiculous to think that there is a known problem with this switch, has been recalled, has been fixed, still not functioning correctly, and GM will not address the issue when it continues to fail. If it is such a problem that GM will do a recall for the part, why is it not a big enough problem to fix correctly or another time with the faulty part fails again? the consumer should not be stuck with fixing a part out of their own pocket for something that continues to fail and is under recall currently!

- Littlestown, PA, USA

Mar 132009

Colorado 4WD 5-cyl

My 2004 Chevy Colorado ls 4X4 has an issue with the passlock system that shuts my truck off while driving down the road when this event happens I loose my power steering. This is a well known problem that has no fix. The Chevy dealer says it's a common problem with no real definitive solution.

- Huntersville, NC, USA

Jun 012008

Colorado 5-cyl

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Colorado extended cab that continues to experience intermittent electrical problems. The airbag sensor light comes on unexpectedly, the fan blower intermittently stops working on settings 1-3, and the front turn signal bulbs go out every 5000-6000 miles. I can usually brush the components under the glove compartment to get the blower working, and the airbag sensor usual goes out after a week or so.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Feb 132010

Colorado 2004-- the driver's window stops working and battery goes dead. The body control module is replaced. Then the fuse block has scorch marks. Possible fire. This is a common problem with a chev. Colorado. Repairs are being done by a local repair garage. Chevrolet has moved out of our area. There is some problem with the fuse block just waiting for a major fire or property damage to happen.

- White Stone, VA, USA

Nov 102009

Blower motor resistor connector overheats, whereas a terminal burns, creating a poor connection and no power.

- Westford, MA, USA

Aug 242009

Had blower problems with A/C, would not work on 1 - 3, only on 4. now bower has stopped working completely. And, approx. 5 days after blower went out completely, electrical system will not cut off on it's own even after key is removed from ignition. I am resorting to disconnecting battery source every time. I am a chassis specialist with international trucks assembly plant in Texas so I know the all too familiar signs of a defective chassis harness. The issue with the brake light recall is GM's attempt to repair an electrical jumper off the rear harness, solving nothing.

- Garland, TX, USA

Jun 112009

Throughout the course of ownership, I've had several complaints to the dealership concerning the faulty electrical wiring in my vehicle. Since 2004, all repairs have been electrical problems. I have reason to believe that the faulty wiring in my vehicle was the cause of fire to my vehicle which resulted in a total loss. I was also made aware by local firemen at the scene that they've had the same type of fires with the same make and model vehicle just in my area alone. Here is a summary of service history since taking ownership in 2004: Brake switch replacement: 11/19/2004, 1/23/2006, 1/26/2007, and 5/26/2008 R&R blower resistor replacement: 8/28/2007 rear window regulator replacement: 5/1/2006 speaker replacement: 5/1/2006 complained about various electrical wiring issues on 1-24-05, 9-1-05, and 1-26-07.

- Pembroke, NC, USA

Feb 202009

Multiple failure of blower resistor 3 occurrences in 6 month period each time the resistor had to be replaced a new plug assy was installed after the 1st occurrence.

- Zanesville, OH, USA

Aug 152007

Electrical, heater blower only operates on high, 1 2 and 3 does not, new circuit board installed, failed again, hat to stick a paperclip in harness to get it to run correctly.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Nov 292008

Blower fan works intermittently. Does not work on settings 1,2 and 3, will only work on setting 4. fan will resume working on all speeds if fan motor tapped with foot or hand..

- Rocky Mount, NC, USA

Nov 012007

Blower fan works intermittently. Finally stopped working on settings 1,2 and 3, will only work on setting 4. replaced resister 1st from dealer, the climate switch panel. Finally the fan wouldn't run @ all, took to local mechanic replaced wiring harness & fan motor. Took about a year to get truck fully repaired.

- Epsom, NH, USA

Dec 162006

Blower fan works intermittently. Ocassional smell of burnt wires. Finally stopped working on settings 1,2 and 3, will only work on setting 4. this seems to be a common problem on the Chevy Colorados that GM will not acknowledge.

- Procious, WV, USA

Dec 242006

For the past year my 2004 Colorado has intermittently failed to start when ignition key is first turned to start position. By turning the key off and than on again it will start. It does this once in while, but always seems to start the second or third turn of the key to the start position. Twice over the last two years it wouldn't start at all and I had to let it sit for ten minutes or so, than try again, at which time it started. I believe the problem is caused by the pass lock security system. Because its out of warranty I haven't done anything about it.

- Fairhaven, MA, USA

Nov 202008

Vehicle sometimes will not start. Once it happens, let sit for 10 minutes and it will then start. Taken to dealer and was told it is the passlock (security) system. Checked internet, seems to be a common problem with newer GM vehicles.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Oct 082008

My check engine light has been coming off and on continuously for the past six months, however it was diagnosed and it wasn't a big problem. Recently, I have been able to unlock my truck using the keyless entry and when I am in the vehicle the doors will not lock with the lock/unlock button on the door. When driving, after accelerating over 20 mph, the doors use to lock themselves, but now they do not. Normally when I put my truck in park, all the doors will automatically unlock. This has not been happening. I am scared to keep anything in my truck and fear that this might cause more serious problems and expenses. I would like to know if this has been happening with other Colorado's? it seems like since I have gotten this vehicle it has been one problem after another and I am very disappointed in Chevrolet.

- San Antonio, TX, USA