2005 Chevrolet Colorado electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Colorado:

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jun 012006

Colorado

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Colorado. While parked, the contact started that the vehicle and noticed the starter kept running once the vehicle had started. The contact shut the vehicle off and after restarting it did not experience the failure. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The contact replaced the starter. The failure continued after the replacement of the starter. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 24,000.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Mar 052012

Colorado

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Colorado. The contact was driving 35 mph when the vehicle stalled. The anti-theft warning light illuminated prior to the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer twice. The manufacturer was contacted but the vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileages were 89,000.

- Defiance, OH, USA

Apr 202012

Colorado 5-cyl

My 2005 Chevrolet Colorado will activate the ABS system during braking on warm dry pavement and the vehicle will not stop. During these events the ABS failure warning light was not illuminated. The brakes have failed at 4 mph and at 25 mph. Other times, the ABS failure warning light is illuminated and the brakes work fine. No consistency and will not repeat for mechanic.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Apr 142012

Colorado

On Saturday morning my truck would not start. I went to jump it, and with no keys in the ignition and not jumped yet the windshield wipers and interior light went on. This went on for over an hour. I replaced basically a new battery. The radio did not work and dash lights did not either. On Tuesday, April 17 after I picked up my son from school, the car started to make a loud scrunch noise and started to stall off and on. When I pulled into my drive way and shut off the engine I smelled something burning. I went to open the door and it would not open. I tried to open the windows and they would not go down. It was smelling really bad like something was on fire. About 25 seconds later, with no key in the ignition the interior lights went on. I put the key in the ignition but did not start it and tried the windows again and my drivers side went down and I got my son out through the window. It had to be towed to the dealership. They said it was my alternator which is getting fixed. Reading all the complaints I agree, why has this not been recalled. It's around 50K miles and the electrical goes. Luckily me and my son got out.

- Paoli, PA, USA

Mar 012010

Colorado 5-cyl

Blower motor fan speeds work intermittently. Fault was found in blower motor wiring harness where harness runs adjacent to glove box. Jostle the harness manually below the glove box and the blower motor speeds will go from off to only a few speeds to normal. This could definitely be a fire hazard.

- Nineveh, IN, USA

Dec 152010

Colorado 4-cyl

The A/C blower control switch doesn't work in positions 2 or 3, but functions properly in positions 1 and 4.

- Oregonia, OH, USA

Jul 222010

Colorado

The HVAC fan motor resistor & connector melted around one of the prong connections and wire. The resistor and wire harness are located just under and behind the glovebox on the passenger side. The result of the burning of these parts is that the blower speeds of 1-3 do not work but 4 still functions normally. This problem is more than an annoyance of the fan setting because the cause is melting wires and burning connections near the passenger's feet. Hopefully this connection can be recalled and redesigned before something serious happens. This appears to be a very common issue as evidence from this blog. coloradofans.com/forums/67-technical-questions-tips-how/112853-HVAC-fan-motor-resistor-connector-replacement-mmp.html.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Sep 202006

Colorado 5-cyl

The wiring harness and the resistor pack for the HVAC burns and is melted and could possibly cause a fire. This is not just an electrical HVAC problem. It is a grounding problem, and causes all kinds of problems. The hazard lights, blinkers, and stop lights all stopped working on my truck. Most of the dash would go out intermitly. The aux plugs stopped working. I had replaced the battery, wiring harness and resistor pack twice. General Motors knows about this problem. It also affects the GMC canyon, and the Isuzu I-280 pick-up trucks. There should be a recall to correct this problem before someone is killed. No brake lights, no turn signals, fire/smoke in the cab, etc.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Aug 222011

Colorado

2005 Chevy Colorado wiring harness on fan control burnt up at motor plug. Wires in harness started smoking and melted plastic. Harness and resistor had to be replaced.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 272011

Colorado 5-cyl

Faulty wiring harness that burns under the dashboard/glovebox on the passenger side (feet area). The harness controls the blower motor fan speeds 1,2,3 setting and has a resistor. The wiring harness/loop begins to melt and subsequently burn. My passenger brought it to my attention after it singed his shin; I unplugged the wiring loop prior to catching on fire. There are many online complaints at Chevy Colorado forums I.e. edmunds etc. Thank you.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 232011

Colorado 4WD 5-cyl

The relay for the brake lights under the dash has failed 4 times on my Chevy Colorado. The last two failures occurred after the part was replaced with the supposedly redesigned part from the recall. When this happens the brake lights fail to operate and no indication is given to the driver.

- Cranberry Township, PA, USA

Mar 152011

Colorado

The contact owned a 2005 Chevrolet Colorado. While driving approximately 35 mph the contact noticed thick smoke escaping from the dashboard. The contact pulled the vehicle to the side of the road and exit the vehicle. The contact also noticed flames underneath the hood. The fire department extinguished the fire. A fire report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The cause of the fire was undetermined. The contact did not state if there were any injuries. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000.

- Iowa, LA, USA

Apr 012011

Colorado

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Colorado. While driving various speeds, the contact noticed that the ABS and traction controls would illuminate without applying pressure to the brakes. The air conditioner switch would shut on and off while driving over a pot hole. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure and advised the contact that there were no recalls. The contact did not inform the manufacturer nor was the vehicle repaired. A local mechanic inspected the vehicle and advised the contact that the electrical system needed to be repaired; however, it was non repairable. The current mileage was approximately 96,000 and the failure mileage was 95,000.

- Galena, KS, USA

Feb 102010

Colorado 4-cyl

2005 Chevy Colorado HVAC fan/diode connector for blower motor. The blower motor has been malfunctioning for the past 12 months. The A/C fan speed finally has stopped working in all speeds except high(4). After searching on line I have found many consumers reporting the same issue. I have searched for listed recalls and have not found any and I feel this issues should be addressed because of the fire risk it poses.

- Katy, TX, USA

Oct 282010

Colorado 5-cyl

My truck wont start do alarm or anti-theft system it crank but wont start.

- Covina, CA, USA

Oct 032010

Colorado 5-cyl

Several times over the past six months I have been left stranded temporarily by my Colorado not cranking. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. Some days it cranks fine. Others, it may take as long as 45 minutes and several attempts to get it to start. I have found many fellow Colorado owners have had this same issue and it seems to be caused by a faulty pass code switch/sensor in the ignition. I believe that this should be a recall issue due to numerous owners having the same problem.

- Florence, SC, USA

Sep 262010

Colorado

2005 Chevy col 3lt. After3yrs and 2 months of having it I had the problem with the drivers side window and door lock not working. Also fuel gauge would drop to empty. Fuel float was sticking! now at 4 1/2 yrs the fuel pump has 'shorted out'. truck would not start.

- Reading, PA, USA

Sep 122010

Colorado

Ac blower fan works in high only. Upon checking the wiring I notices the resistor and the wire harness were burnt which caused the problem. I replaced the wire harness and resistor which fixed the problem. Upon further searching I found many others with the same problem and some that ended up in fires under the dash.

- Palatka, FL, USA

Jan 012010

Colorado

Poor gas mileage, rough idling. Poor gas delivery and bad electrical switch, engine light stays on, had engine analyzed come S up with numerous error codes, problems are on going......

- Stanley, NC, USA

Aug 142010

Colorado

The cooling/heating blower fan speed resistor and wiring harness on the 2004-2009 Chevy Colorado has a shorting problem which causes the truck to have a smoke smell and may lead to a fire if not checked on. I found mine after smelling smoke for a few months and started checking where it was coming from. I found the fan speed resistor connector and associated wiring harness burnt and slightly melted. I would have taken to the dealer but it was out of warranty and did not want to pay there high labor costs. This is the second time changing this out in the last year and I found that there is a common grounding point on the passenger side fender wall which over time becomes corroded and makes a bad ground most likely causing the shorting problem. If this is not worthy of a recall then I would like to at least have a warning notice sent to owners so they would know what to look for if this happens to them.

- Wenonah, NJ, USA