2005 Chevrolet Colorado electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Colorado:

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jan 102010

The passlock anti theft system on my 05 Chevy Colorado failed this winter leaving me stranded out in the cold for a half hour or more on multiple occasions. To reset it you must turn the key forward and wait ten minutes, then repeat that two more times before it will reset and then the vehicle will start. However it takes a special type of scanner that a dealership must plug into the internet to reset the code so unless you pay a dealership to do that you have to keep trying to start your car (up to a half hour of trying) for the next 100 ignition cycles. I had to do this in January and February this year in -10 to -30 degree weather and no Chevy dealership would reset the code for less than $90.

- Cedar Falls, IA, USA

Jul 282010

This has been going on for about 3 years off and on. On average, about twice a week, when I try to start my car using my original factory keys (I've tried both with same results) the security icon lights up and the truck fails to start. I then have to wait 10 minutes for it to reset. I've contacted GM about this problem and they have told me to take it to the dealership after that happens. When I was finally able to stop by a dealership, they told me that they needed the problem to happen there for them to diagnose and that scanning it would do no good. When I have to be somewhere, I have to now plan to leave at least 10 minutes early in case my truck doesn't start. Sometimes it happens 2 or three time in a row and I'm waiting 20-30 minutes for the system to reset. I've discovered online that a lot of other people have problems with the passlock system.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Jun 232010

On 23 June 2010 I was driving my 2005 Chevy Colorado to work when I began to smell burning wires. I shut off my vent fan switch and the smell went away. I turned it back on and the smell returned. Later after work I found a charred wire connector and resistor next to the fan motor. The resistor had been previously replaced in 2006 when the vehicle was under warranty. There are alot of posts on-line from owners of the same vehicle complaining about the same issue. I can tell the short started in the resistor where the connector hooks into it. The part number of the resistor is 015218254, and the connector is 015306069. The resistor is made in slovenia. I feel this needs to be a recalled item because of the fire hazard.

- Bonaire, GA, USA

May 202010

The blower module wire harness continually goes out. I have replaced it twice and the same thing happens. Appears to me that there is some sort of short in the wiring. If you take off the bad harness and look down in the connectors one of them is always burnt up. I worry that it could cause a potential fire hazard. I know that I am not the only person that is happening to. I continually check internet blogs and it seems to happen more often than not.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 092010

1. normal driving. 2. brake light switch failure. Brake lights inoperable along with inoperable cruise control. There were no consequences, however having no brake lights could result in sever consequences. One has to wonder if a wreck had occurred would it be considered my fault since my brake lights not functioning was the cause of the wreck? 3. I replaced the brake light switch with a new GM part purchased at a GM dealer. I have 3 of the last 4 failed brake light switches. The first failed switch was thrown away. The P/N of the most recent failure is 25796381. That is also the P/N of the part purchased by me today. The P/N for the other 2 switches is: 15912229 & 1518647. The last time my brake light switch failed was 03/2008. I have owned my truck since 3/2005 I believe.

- Katy, TX, USA

Apr 112010

While driving out of the blue car says "power reduced. Traction fault." Then the car rolled to a stop. Power steering was gone. All electrical systems shut down. Car would not start unless sitting for several minutes. Then it runs for about a minute then shuts down again. This repeatedly happen several times on the way home.

- Erlanger, KY, USA

Apr 102010

Colorado 4WD 5-cyl

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 5 cylinder 4 wheel drive automatic 68,000 mi engine misfire 7 times taken to garage $1,300 paid and no one could fix problem. Finally took vehicle to dealer who charged $325 to change spark plugs and then admitted that there was a problem with this engine. Intake valve seals are defective. Now vehicle needs a $500 repair of front transaxle seal. All electrical connectors on this vehicle are of inferior quality, I have experienced 3 failures of stoplamp wiring,4 failures of signal light wiring, and 2 failures of A/C blower motor, all due to poor electrical connectors. My concern is that in case of an accident the air bags would not deploy because of a similar problem. This is a potential safety issue, and should be evaluated.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jan 212010

Changed the battery. Causes the door switch to go out. The driver's side window, the door locks and keyless entry will not work. You need to hope the window is not down if you change batteries or have a dead battery needing a jump start. The dealer charged me $400 for a new switch. A check of the internet shows many many people have had the same problem.

- Marion, OH, USA

Jan 152010

The third pin in a plug that controls the heat/ac shorts and causes burns marks in the inside of the plug and almost through the plug. Had to replace the harness. There are also complaints on of the same problem. The part number is a featured part on Part # PK15218254"singlepart=1&partnumber=PK15218254 link is:"F=8&T=48293 this has potential to be a fire hazard and people should probably be getting a recall or refund on the parts they are having to replace.

- King, NC, USA

Dec 052009

2005 Chevy Colorado. Blower motor failure on lowest 3 of 4 fan settings. Did online research, learned common failure was resistor / connector (melting of wires and connector). Checked mine. It showed signs of overheating (grey plastic turned brown on one of the four pins. Bought new resistor and connector from GM dealer and self-installed. Blower now works on lowest and highest settings only. Called GM hq. They said take it to dealer; no recall or service bulletin out yet. Seems to be a pretty common failure based on web searches. I'm saving receipts in hopes GM issues a recall before someone has an electrical fire. I do have pictures of my failed components I can email to you if you want and I have links to the online information I found related to this issue. The actual failure date was probably several months ago, it has been working intermittently on lower settings; it finally stopped all together on lower three settings at the end of November and it was Dec 5th when I bought a new resistor and connector.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Feb 112009

Driver information center on a 2005 Chevy Colorado Z71 extend cab P/U switches from english to spanish. Miles change to km. All without touching anything. Truck has 36,500 miles on it. Dealership says the dic is bad and needs replaced. Of course they first told me that it will be covered under the speedometer settlement for other gh dic's. not! this is a four hundred plus dollar repair. Problem started about 32K miles.

- Waynesboro, PA, USA

Jan 102009

I have a 05 Colorado. Extended cab 4X4 w/ 14,200 miles. I am the original owner. More than once I have had trouble with the driver side window won't go down and the door locks do not work. This problem is very annoying, frustrating and time consuming. It is not an uncommon problem, check out the on line forms related to Colorado's. my dealer checked for recalls and tsbs with out help. I am very disappointed in GM as they know this is an issue, but they don't want to or seem to have an answer. Four years ago I had the option to by foreign but bought american instead.

- Walla Walla , WA, USA

Mar 122009

I have an 05 four door Colorado. In my years of owning it, I have S had several episodes in which the driverside window won't go down and the door locks do not work. This problem has taken up to a month or so for the truck's computer or what ever to work out the problem and start working normally. I have been to the dealer and they say they can't help except for a new switch which costs $200. I have also checked out various automotive forums and found multiple people having the same issue and having it multiple times. I have checked for recalls and tsbs with out help. GM knows this is an issue, but they don't want to or seem to have an answer. I paid good money for this truck and did not expect a four year old to have multiple electric episodes like this.

- Xenia, OH, USA

Dec 012008

The NHTSA item number for this problem is 10013546 my 05 Chevrolet Colorado truck has a fan speed setting of 0-4 with 0 being off and 4 being high. About a week ago speeds 1-3 stopped working leaving only off or high. This told me it was the fan resistor. Once I found the resistor I noticed the pigtail connector and the resistor terminals were melted. I assume this is from excessive heat. After a quick search online I noticed there were others having the same issue. The only replacement parts for the problem are the same parts and have not been re-engineered. Which will eventually lead to the same problem down the road.. this is defiantly a fire hazard and malting is only 1 step away from the flash point of plastics. To this moment GM has not issued a voluntary recall on the vehicle. Chevy refused to pay for the repairs but did offer to send me a service certificate worth $200. That great but it doesn't fix the fire hazard, nor the recurring problems.

- Springfield, OH, USA

May 262005

Colorado 5-cyl

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 2wd pickup with 3.5 litre engine and manual transmission. Regular cab. This vehicle is poorly designed and supported. There has been a hesitation and backfire since it was new in May 2005. Numerous attempts to have GM fix it have met with stoney indifference and total non suport of their (GM) suposed warrranty. It also has a foot operated parking brake and this on a manual transmissioned vehicle is in my opinion an accident waiting to happen.

- Chatham, 00, USA

Aug 292006

Colorado 5-cyl

While driving, the radio will lose power, then the A/C will stop working, then the entire dash will lose power (no speed, tac or gas gauges). Then all warning/ failure lights come on. Will reset after you turn car off. Been to dealer 7 times for same problem.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Apr 112006

Colorado 4WD 5-cyl

Truck has push button 4WD controls. Three times it has switched to 4WD from 2wd I was at slow speed once in reverse and each time I was turning the steering wheel to the right. Had the truck into the dealer for a defective power steering pump and reported that to the dealer, they said they could not duplicate the situation.

- Eustis, FL, USA

Dec 152005

Colorado 5-cyl

Left power window, power door locks, clock radio, dome light quit working randomly. Dealer cannot duplicate problem. Onstar doesn't work sometimes. Battery seems to go dead if it sits more than 5 days, remote for door locks range is horrible but they say it's normal to have to stand right next to the truck to unlock / lock it.

- Marysville, WA, USA

Sep 192005

Colorado 5-cyl

About 1 yr. And 1 month after I bought a Chevy Colorado, the thing shut off on me. The first time it left me on the side of I-55 and did not want to start. It did though, but the engine light was on, it soon went off. The dealer reprogrammed the computer. It has shut off on me 4 more times. The dealer will not fix the truck B/C it is not storing "codes". also, the traction control on the truck seems to engadge itself at the oddest of times when there is really no tire slippage and this has me sputtering and jumping while I'm trying to drive in traffic. At first start up, the truck has always made this rattling ping noise out of the muffler. Every time I step out of the truck, I shocks me, I beleive due to the nylon in the fabric seats. The turn signal will only "tick tock" when it wants to. The hood on the truck will "bow" or "bubble" in and out while driving, usually on the inerstate when there is some little wind blowing outside. The alarm on the truck has gone crazy on me a few times. I can unlock the door, it will go off but the radio inside the truck will be playing. If I were to cranck the truck up, turn the engine off, get out, and lock the door, the alarm will be going off about five minutes later. This cycle will keep going on until I reset the computer by pushing the gas pedal three times. All the dealer and GM wants to offer me is an extended warrenty, which the warrenty I have now is doing me absolutely no justice, I refused it. They told me that they cannot work on the truck B/C they cannot duplicate the problems at which they drove it twice, and the computer is not storing codes. This problem seems to be compleately spurratic and unpredictable. I have invested alot of money into this truck and still owe on it. I refuse to be forced to pay for and drive a hazzard.

- Olive Branch, MS, USA