2013 Chevrolet Cruze drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Cruze:

2013 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Apr 112014

Cruze 4-cyl

I was told when I took my Chevy Cruze in for routine service that my car was on the list for the right front axle recall. I had to drive to another state the next day, and I was very nervous--I drove 600 miles and nothing happened. I took it to the Chevy dealership/service in the city where I am working temporarily and they provided me with a courtesy car. My problem is that now I need to drive home and after reading about the incidents when the axle has broken am very apprehensive. This is a great worry and inconvenience. GM needs to step up and get those parts manufactured asap.

- Oregon City, OR, USA

Apr 052014

Cruze 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while approaching a stop sign, the vehicle abruptly stopped moving. The contact discovered that the front axle was fractured. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, who stated that the axle needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 9,200. Updated 08/11/14 the consumer stated the airbag was repaired on July 14, 2014. Updated 08/18/2014

- Kenna, WV, USA

May 012014

Cruze 4-cyl

I was at a very busy four way stop intersection, when I accelerated from the stop sign, I heard a grinding sound and had no power in drive or reverse. I put the car in park and still continued to roll backwards. I had a very long line of cars in back of me as it was 8:00 in the morning rush hour. I had no control and had to try to push the car (by myself) to the side of the road. I was horrified as this happened with my brand new car. I had to wait over an hour for a tow truck to take the car to the dealer. The dealer called me later that day to say that my right front axel is broken and that there was a recall on this car. The dealer then explained that there are no parts available to fix this problem and I could be in a rental for more than a month. I am extremely upset that I was not notified of this recall and had been driving this car with my two children in it while GM knew about this for months. How is this safe? I can't put into words how mad I am that GM put my family in this car with this safety issue. I'm glad that my kids were not with me when this happened, but my fears are that this could have happened on the highway with them in the back seat. I am contacting GM, but I won't stop until this is resolved. I am telling everyone I know and social media about the Cruze recall and that it isn't safe to drive.

- Belleville, WI, USA

Apr 222014

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number 14V151000 (power train), and stated that the part needed fo the repair was unavailable. The vehicle remained at the dealer, who was unable to provide an expected date for when the remedy part to become available. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was unavailable.

- Jeffereson Hills, PA, USA

Jan 012014

When car warms up. Sitting at light stopped car feels like its still moving says it is normal. Feels like transmission is moving forward when stopped at light. Dealer did notice problem & said it is normal. I don't think this is normal.

- Lincoln Park, MI, USA

Mar 312014

Cruze 4-cyl

Vehicle was backed out of a driveway. Driver shifted from reverse to drive. Car moved forward about 20 feet and suddenly slowed to a stop. Engine power remained on. Clicking noise was heard from the right front side. Clicking noise continued in reverse, drive, or park shifter positions. Car would not move under its own power in either direction. We pushed car to side of road in neutral and called onstar this is the driveshaft recall issue on 2013-14 Cruze with 1.4 turbo engines. I write because if this had happened on an interstate or in heavy traffic the consequences could have been much more dire. This car is almost 1 year old and has only 3000 miles on it. This defect is as serious as the ignition switch problem. There are 170000 of these cars out there with this same potential issue. When I spoke with GM they initially said that there was no recall on my vehicle and that I should take it to a dealer for service. When I insisted that there was a power train related recall on the car they then said that indeed there was a recall and that I could get it towed to a GM dealer. My only reason for writing NHTSA is to hopefully elevate this issue to one of more immediate importance. I have not yet received any notice from GM about this issue, and if it weren't for the extensive media coverage would probably still not know of this very serious issue.

- Avon Lake , OH, USA

Jan 082014

The complaint is 1)vehicle surges when stopped at a signal or stopped while in gear. Extra pressure is applied to brake pedal out of fear it will lunge forward. 2)intermittently surges drastically when you remove your foot from brakes. 3)intermittent high revving and acceleration problems. A service bulletin was performed in which repairs were made to the transmission. These repairs increased the symptoms and made it the vehicle extremely unsafe to drive. GM engineers state the car is ok. Does someone have do die before the problem is corrected. A lot of people have made complaint on the website. Someone need to look into this.

- Lakeside, CA, USA

Mar 072014

Front axle broke in the center of vehicle when driving in heavy traffic. All forward motion quit. Unable to move vehicle, yet, when gear shift in park, vehicle would roll. Car is ten months old.

- Bay Village, OH, USA

Feb 202014

Cruze 4-cyl

I was making a right turn when there was a noise similar to a timing belt failure from under the engine and the car appeared to lose power. I pulled over and looked under the vehicle but there was no sign of damage. I restarted the engine and put it in drive and the noise recurred. I decided to call a tow truck to take the car to the dealer we bought it from in August 2013. The dealer found a broken/separated front right axle. The car is an automatic. The dealer replace the axle. I am writing this to report the incident as the car is virtually brand new. I have no complaints with the dealer.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jan 192014

Cruze 4-cyl

Car had loud noise driving through an intersection and lost gear. Transmission would not go into gear or park.

- Broomfield, CO, USA

Oct 302013

Cruze 4-cyl

Driving the highway at approximately 55 mph, the check engine light pops on, and the car starts making light noises as if the transmission is having problems pulling. Utilized the onstar button to request a diagnostic, and was informed that the transmission, and the drive train was giving error codes. I was instructed to get the car into the dealer for service within seven days. Vehicle was taken in for service the very next morning by 7:45 am. Was informed that the work to correct was not covered under the drive train/transmission warranty, and because of the existence of an internal bulletin the output speed sensor in the transmission was replaced. The car was sold to me with a 100,000 mile transmission and drive-train warranty. I was forced to pay the taxes of $ $14.09.

- South Holland, IL, USA

Aug 062013

Cruze 4-cyl

Stopped at stop light on slight incline. Released brake pedal and vehicle rolled backward, nearly striking vehicle behind me. Took vehicle back to dealer and was told this was normal. Experienced same conditions on incline several more times. Took to different Chevrolet dealer and was told this was normal. Contacted GM and received call back. They spoke with service manager and asked me to take it back in. I took service manager with me and performed same activity twice. Vehicle rolled backwards while in drive after stopping on incline and releasing brake. While rolling backwards the transmission jumped and the vehicle died. Happened both times. I talked to GM corporate customer service several more times. Service manager asked me to bring vehicle back in today (Oct. 21). I reported same story and left vehicle at dealer. They called me back and said everything was normal. I talked to GM again and reported everything. Called my auto insurance company and reported issue. This issue continues to occur and I am fearful that the vehicle may roll backwards into another vehicle or a pedestrian. I can anticipate this condition with a manual transmission and a clutch, but can not safely have one foot on the brake and the other on the gas with an automatic transmission.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Aug 122013

While stopped at a red light, I kept feeling the vehicle surge as if it were trying to drive forward even though I had my foot on the brake pedal. The surge got to the point where I had to put the car in neutral just to stop it. When I put the car back in drive with my foot still on the brakes, the vehicle surged forward and almost hit the car in front of me. This surge was happening on and off but I have started to notice it happening more often now.

- Orange Park, FL, USA

Mar 212013

I decided to trade in my Malibu and lease a 2013 Cruze from global Chevrolet, rt.22, North plainfield, NJ. In March of 2013. I began noticing the problem within a few weeks. In stop and go traffic, the car lunges forward as you are switching from the brake to the accelerator. While braking, the brakes seem to freeze up and the car keeps rolling, at times 20 feet before stopping. I had the car inspected by the dealership and they test drove the vehicle and said there was nothing wrong; "new technology, computers, downshifting" is how they explained it. I keep a log in my car to record each time this occurs, as it does not happen every day. However, it happens enough that I am concerned that eventually this situation will cause an accident and serious injury. It wouldn't surprise me that in the near future there will be a recall regarding this problem or I sincerely hope there will be.

- Somerset, NJ, USA

May 282013

Cruze 4-cyl

I purchased a 2013 Chevy Cruze on May 13, 2013 test drove the car and brakes went to the floor. Salesperson referred it to the mechanic. I didn't even make it off the car lot. He said he bled the brakes and all is well...still had trouble with the brakes after I was at a stop sign and my car lunges forward. I pressed on brakes harder to stop. Took car back on the 28th and told mechanic what happened and he again checked the car out and said he could not find anything wrong with the car. He said he tested another new model and said he had no problems with that car. These mechanics are ignoring any concern buyers have... putting our lives and family members in danger. The above incident has happened again on occasion and the fact that these mechanics talk down to you and make you feel "plain stupid" has prompt me to initiate this complaint in hopes something gets done.

- Parker, AZ, USA

Mar 052013

When the vehicle is in drive and stopped either at a red light or stopping to make a turn the vehicle feels like it's moving forward (lunging forward) this occurs when the break is completely pressed down and the car is in drive. The RPM gage will flicker up and down as this is occurring. I have taking it to the dealer ship and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with my car. I feel this car is unsafe to drive because it might cause an accident one day. When it does this and im stopped at a red light I will have to put the car in neutral or park to get it to stop doing this. It doesn't happen all the time when im driving but it's occurring more commonly.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

May 202013

Best way to describe what happened was when I was sitting at the stop sign behind someone, with foot on the brake pedal, my car went forward about a foot or so, no gas acceleration from myself, I don't know if the gas was auto controlled, but I felt like I wasn't pushing on the brake enough even though I was, I did some investigating and I read online that other people have been having similar issues with their 2013 Chevy Cruze.

- White Oak, PA, USA

May 162013

Cruze 4-cyl

While at a stop, my car will lurch forward, like someone is pushing it from behind. Luckily I have my foot on the brake and it doesn't move forward. This has happened about 4 times this past month since I've had the car.

- Rockland, MA, USA

Apr 272013

Cruze 4-cyl

On April 27, 2013, while attempting to park my car I put the car in reverse gear and all of a sudden the car jerked in the reverse so hard that if a car was directed behind me parked I would have hit it and damaged both cars. Then, the car jerked forward when I switch gears to drive forward and then the car started making a loud clicking sound. Then before that! I had a problem on 4/19/2013 trying to reverse into another parking area and the car did pretty much the same things as it did on April 27th. Also, sometimes when I press on my brakes, coming to a full stop, the car will lounge forward while pressing on brake. This is very dangerous occurrences. I have not contact the dealer as of yet. But, I intend too asap. I have also checked for any recalls, and there are none yet as of 2013, but there are a couple of complaints only. 2012 Cruze had several airbag, and engine issues. Please advise! thank you

- Hollis, NY, USA

Mar 152013

Cruze 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while attempting to come to a complete stop with the brakes engaged, the vehicle lunged forward. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 660 and the current mileage was 1,002.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA