CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Equinox is plagued by a heating problem, as in the heater only blows cold air.

The reported cause of this problem is a small door, known as the air temperature blend door, which allows air to flow past the heater core. This door has a plastic connecting shaft to an electric motor and the shaft is prone to breaking after a few years. The problem has a typical repair cost of over $800.

The 2006 Equinox also has a number of reported problems ranging from the key getting stuck in the ignition, to failing speed sensors, and trouble starting the engine. All in all, this car sounds like one worth avoiding.

2006 Chevrolet Equinox electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox:

2006 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Mar 062015

Equinox 6-cyl

I got in my car this morning and my fan wasn't working for my heater. Which is dangerous because its winter and my windows are iced over. I looked up and a lot of people have had the same problem.

- Ridgway, PA, USA

Feb 152015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that there was an intermittent electrical short in which the vent controls failed to work for heat or cold air. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V489000 (visibility). The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician replaced the motor blower, resistor, blower and pit tail; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for further inspection. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 117,480.

- Jonesboro, GA, USA

Aug 052014

Equinox 6-cyl

I had left work, driven about 6 miles, shut engine off to fill with gas, got back in to crank engine and nothing - no lights on instrument panel. Had hauled to garage, battery was put on slow charge over night, showed little low but would crank car, mfg replaced battery but 2 months later it would not crank again. Put battery on charge overnight again. Hasn't occurred again but found out someone else has same problem with trailblazer, he has to carry a jump box around with him.. local GM dealer has not found his problem either..what do we do trade in with dealer then let it become their problem?

- Muscadine, AL, USA

Nov 142014

Equinox 6-cyl

The heating system suddenly failed and blows cold air affecting the vehicles windshield defrosting ability. This is a manufacturer's defect. The problem impacts the ability of the car to defrost. As noted in a letter from GM's director of product investigations and safety to the NHTSA on December 23, 2009, the 2010 Equinox was recalled since a manufacturer"S defect resulted in non-operational defrost systems that was a safety concern, could result in a crash, and violated Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 103. In other words, GM has admitted on another vehicle that manufacturer"S defects that cause in-operable defrost systems are their responsibility to replace. Chevrolet Equinox drivers are at stake. Not having the ability to defrost your windshield could lead to traffic accidents vehicle damage, injury and possible death. I am requesting the NHTSA to investigate this and order GM to replace the defected part / parts and refund repair cost to those of us who have or will have to pay for these expensive repairs.

- Rockford, MI, USA

Jan 292015

Equinox 6-cyl

When I turn on my turn signal either way, the high-beams come on. I though it might have been my doing, but I payed attention many times and it will always do it.

- Leavenworth, KS, USA

Feb 212014

Equinox 6-cyl

Vehicle runs fine, shut it off it won't start. Sometimes it will take 2 or 3 turns to start it other times 10 to 15 minutes to start it. Replaced ignition cylinder, switch and tumblers, thinking this was it. No. no one can fine problem. This is a problem with other 2006 Equinox from the forums I read. This is a safety issue, because it leaves people like me stranded. I have emailed Chevrolet once already and told them if anything happens to me when I get stranded for my family to sue them. Chevrolet told me to take my car to a dealer, I called and the person I talked to told me to bring it in and if the problem didn't happen while the car was there, they would charge me $ $85 per hr., it doesn't happen every day, it might go a month without doing it and then it might do it 3 times in one day. I just bought this car January 2014. I hate to trade it in, because they will just sell it to someone and I don't want it to be someone with children and have this happen to them. So, in ending this complaint I hope that you will look into this 2006 Equinox problem. Thank you !! ( this gets scary to a 63 yr. Women at nighttime ).

- Nanticoke, PA, USA

Dec 012014

Equinox 6-cyl

The switch hangs up when trying to crank the auto. It keeps trying to crank the engine when you release the switch.

- Muscadine, AL, USA

Jan 152015

Equinox 6-cyl

Noticed that my car was not starting when cranked.\I thought it was the battery and changed it, but still having the problem. Researched the internet and found that the powertrain/engine control modules were the issues in numerous Chevy Equinox which may be the reason for the car not starting.

- Gaston, SC, USA

Dec 312014

Equinox 6-cyl

Once the vehicle was put into park the key got stuck in the ignition.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Sep 052014

Equinox

We purchased this vehicle used for our college student. We bought this vehicle from seeker Toyota in St. Robert mo. Two days after purchase the. Brake system on the front passenger side locked up. This was supposedly inspected by the dealership. We replaced the calipers, rotors, brakes pads, and thought the problem was fixed, less than 2 months later it locked up again and tried to catch fire. Now have to fix again. The heater stopped working about a week after purchase, the cd player stopped working the day after purchase. We were told there was no warranty after spending nearly $5000 for this vehicle. We feel like we were ripped off and why isn't the brake problems and heat issues not on the recall list.

- Dixon, MO, USA

Apr 012014

Equinox 6-cyl

All interior and exterior lights will flicker when started and will sometimes do it when breaks are applied. Does not start on first try sometimes. Sounds like it is starting but just stops.

- Sod, WV, USA

Mar 202014

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the key could be removed from the ignition while operating the vehicle. The contact also stated that it was difficult to enter the key in the ignition and to be removed on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Oct 312011

Equinox

The ignition switch would lock up and sometimes it turns over continuously, like it is stuck. The air condition blower has stopped working 3 times. It would smell like something is burning but the switch actually would be burning out. I hear others that have Chevrolet vehicles have had similar problems. My husband has a 2007 Chevrolet Colorado and we have replaced the blower twice in it in last than a year.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jul 162014

Equinox

In the last month my 2006 Equinox's engine has failed 5 times, 3 times while sitting at intersections and twice while driving down the road. All 5 times the lights have gone on the dash and then all power to the engine has been lost. It takes a good minute before the engine will turn over again. We have taken the car to the shop for extensive work (including wheel bearings and ignition switch) and they have not been able to fix or even pinpoint the problem. I know that the 2005 Equinox was recalled for this issue and want to know when the '06 will be added to the list"?"

- Orchard Park, NY, USA

Jul 112011

Equinox 6-cyl

I first reported to Chevrolet in 2011 that my ignition/key in my 2006 Equinox would get "stuck". it wouldn't turn and I'd spend sometimes several minutes just trying to get the key to turn so I could start the car. I sometimes had to tap the key forward with a screwdriver handle. I reported this issue because I found numerous complaints from other people reporting the same issue. Chevrolet simply said thanks for telling us that you and many many others are having the same issue but we're not going to do anything about it. Now I have a problem with the blower fan not working. It seems this is a commonly reported issue as well but I cant seem to find an actual service bulletin on the blower resistor motor/fan problem. I'm just so disappointed in Chevy! can't they at least offer free labor if you buy the parts or something" when issues are widely reported??"

- Dunkirk, NY, USA

Feb 112014

Equinox 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that after numerous attempts, the vehicle failed to start. The contact also stated that the key could be removed while it was on accessory mode. Additionally, the contact stated that the A/C and the heater blower relay was melted and burned. The failure occurred on three occasions. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 125,800. Updated 11/12/14

- Brenswick, OH, USA

May 142014

Equinox 6-cyl

On 2 different occasions a few weeks apart the car went dead while in operation. The 1st time I was going around a curve, the 2nd time had just reached 55mph on the hwy and set the cruise. For the past few weeks started fine in the mornings but has trouble starting on next tries, and gets harder each time. Now I have a dead battery from trying to start the vehicle!

- Hartselle, AL, USA

Jul 212014

Equinox 6-cyl

Was driving home after driving student to high school and smoke started coming from the area of the ignition/steering column and it smelled like something was burning. I am leaving it at Chevy dealers for investigation into what is causing the issue. I have had starting problems in the past month on occasion.

- Hill, NH, USA

Jul 032014

Equinox 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the ignition switch housing broke. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the ignition housing needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 83,000 and the current mileage was unknown. Updated 08/27/14 updated 09/17/2014

- Chatsworth, GA, USA

Mar 012012

Equinox 6-cyl

Purchased my Equinox in 2006 new at 12,000 miles serpentine belt broken, window has jumped going up and down since the day of purchase took back to the dealer but they couldn't find a problem.at 110000 miles the heat stop working.then by summer the A/C went too.and car has always had ignition issues my car will stay running even when you take the key from the ignition completely.GM doesn't care about car owners only profit... going back to Ford...

- Baltimore, MD, USA