Print this page Notes: The 2006 Equinox is plagued by a heating problem, as in the heater only blows cold air.

The reported cause of this problem is a small door, known as the air temperature blend door, which allows air to flow past the heater core. This door has a plastic connecting shaft to an electric motor and the shaft is prone to breaking after a few years. The problem has a typical repair cost of over $800.

The 2006 Equinox also has a number of reported problems ranging from the key getting stuck in the ignition, to failing speed sensors, and trouble starting the engine. All in all, this car sounds like one worth avoiding.

2006 Chevrolet Equinox electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox:

2006 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Jul 122007

Equinox 6-cyl

A. I began to notice that at times the car would not start the first time I turned the key. I would have to turn the key to off position and try again, this could sometimes take a couple of times. The dealer did state that it was indeed the ignition switch. B. we also have an issue with the ignition when you turn it over it continues to try to start after it is running. The only way to make is stop is to step on the gas. C. when the car is shut off with the wipers or heater or even the radio on; when we start the Equinox, there is smoke coming out of the steering wheel area. It has a burning smell with it. Very dangerous. Just last week, I had my Equinox on with the air, and smoke came out of the steering wheel area while it was running idle. D. in the colder weather, there is frost on my inside front windshield. All windows are up, and there is no reason for this. This vehicle needs to have a massive recall as there are many issues going on with it. I would hate to see someone get hurt but I could see it happening if something is not done to correct these issues.

- Groveport, OH, USA

Aug 252011

Same as reported below, ABS issues, ignition switch, over heating, water sound in dash, blend door issues. Only have 80K on car but problems surpass value. Why are there no recalls for Equinox?

- Littleton, CO, USA

May 032006

Equinox 6-cyl

Our car ignition from day one has been an issue.there are times you try to start it wont.we took it back to dealer they told me I didn't know how to start my car, one time the ignition shut off while driving, onstar came on and had me go outside car and redo fuel cap, then turn key on with out starting, finally she had me restart car. We still have ignition issues, I even contacted GM though email got no response. They seem not to care.

- Grayson, KY, USA

Jun 012013

Equinox 6-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Equinox. Now has 095431 miles on it and this started around the 83K miles point. Key will not rotate from off position to on position, thus the car can not be started and this ha. This appears to be a known problem with several Chevrolet vehicles utilizing happened multiple time. The same ignition cylinder; however Chevrolet has failed to address please advise.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Apr 012013

Equinox 6-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Equinox. Key will not rotate from off position to on position, thus the car can not be started. The problem is with the ignition cylinder presumed, as the factory key is incapable of even being rotated to the on position. A second factory issued key that has been sparingly used since purchased was substituted for the original (problem key). This second key appeared to have resolved the problem, for the first two weeks of use, however now this new key will not work at all either. Based on my research via the web, this appears to be a known problem with several Chevrolet vehicles utilizing the same ignition cylinder; however Chevrolet has failed to address this known problem.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Jun 012011

I began to notice that at times the car would not start the first time I turned the key. I would have to turn the key to off position and try again, this could sometimes take a couple of times. I have had it to the dealer while it was under warranty over and over and they said they could not repeat the complaint. Then finally in 2013 they did and stated that it was indeed the ignition switch which would cost a good amount to get fix. They also showed me that while the key is in running position that it could be removed from the ignition. With the latest of many recalls on the GM vehicles I believe the Equinox should also be included in this as they experience the same problem.

- Holbrook, MA, USA

May 282014

Equinox 6-cyl

The blend door on the heated is broken. I see there have been numerous complaints concerning this. Is there a recall on this" if not why isn't there" I see you issued a recall on the 2010 Equinox for this problem. My daughter who is a college students drives this car and can't afford the $1000+ to repair it.

- Rustburg , VA, USA

Jan 302012

Equinox 6-cyl

En breaking 90% of the time.when I was coming to a stop on the freeway my steering column started vibrating and continues to do so. When starting truck the ignition keeps going as if the truck is on repeat start. Sometimes when I turn the ignition off the truck stays on.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Mar 282014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact had shut off the vehicle and exited when the vehicle independently restarted without the key being in the ignition. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the contact was awaiting diagnosis of the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 99,000.

- Bulls Gap, TN, USA

Mar 042010

Equinox 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the ignition switch was replaced in 2010. Most recently, the vehicle stalled sporadically and lost steering. Additionally, the vehicle would intermittently fail to start and the contact would have to turn the key continuously. The manufacturer was contacted and advised that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 88,859 and the approximate mileage was 130,000. Updated 04/29/14 MA the consumer stated the back lock cylinder intermittently turned freely. Updated 05/2/2014

- Lake Orion , MI, USA

Mar 152010

Equinox 6-cyl

I purchased this vehicle used from a local Mazda dealership in August of 2010. At the time of the purchase I noticed the ignition switch would partially jammed when trying to start. I took it back to the dealership and they put graphite in the switch. It still jams to this day. I was curious if this could be related to the recall I recently read about.

- Creedmoor, NC, USA

Dec 222012

Equinox 6-cyl

The car is over heating excessively and it has also affected the heating system in my car. I was told by Chevrolet in brodheadsville, pa that it would cost me $2,800. This price is extremely high. Upon doing research, Chevrolet, Equinox have been know to have problems with the head gasket. They need to do a recall on all of the cars.

- Effort, PA, USA

Dec 162013

2006 Equinox is possessed. I woke up at 2:30am to my Equinox running in my driveway with no keys in the ignition. I had to put the keys in it and move it forward in order to shut it off. It must have ran for awhile as it was warm inside. It also unlocked itself when this happened.

- Swanton, OH, USA

Oct 072013

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, there was sudden loss of engine power as the traction control warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the electrical connections needed to be repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 53,000.

- Aurora , IL, USA

May 072012

My 2006 Chevy Equinox has now had three separate incidences of spontaneous engine turn over. The first was in may of 2012, next in April 2013, followed by August 2013. On each occasion; the car was parked and locked at the time that it spontaneously started. With each event I had to put the key in the ignition, put the car in reverse, move it a couple feet, followed by shifting to drive and moving forward. It was only then that I was then able return the car to park and turn off the engine. My car is not equipped with a remote starter kit, and never had one in the past. I have no idea why the car started on it's own, and certainly consider this to be a safety issue.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Jan 062012

Equinox 6-cyl

In January 2012 within the first week of buying our 2006 Equinox, we started having ignition problem. We would try to start it and it would just keep cranking until it would finally start. We took it into the dealership of purchase and they tried replacing several parts but this did not fix the problem. We have had it in at least 6 times for the same issue and finally were told unless it just altogether doesn't start they are not able to locate the problem. It is now July 2013, still have the same problem and now having intermittent problems like, cooling fans won't work, window will not go up or down, radio button on steering wheel choosing when it wants to work, gas mileage is terrible and has been from the start. After researching several web pages about complaints we are now finding out that these problems may get worse!!! also we have also found out that this issue is due to the PCM which has been recalled in the 2005 Equinox and several other Chevrolet products but unfortunately not the 2006!!! according to other accounts, the PCM can affect many other components. Hoping Chevrolet will step up and do the right thing. I have always been a Chevy fan but at this rate I am starting to lean towards Ford as I hear they back their products! what a shame! the sad part is this is our only vehicle at the moment and this repair is not affordable so if a recall doesn't happen soon I'm not sure what we'll do!

- Madison, AL, USA

May 012013

Equinox 6-cyl

My 2006 Chevrolet Equinox has and is experiencing the same symptoms outlined in GM recall 13V-248. The driver door power window and power lock worked intermittently and is now totally inoperable. Even though my vehicle is not on the list of recalled vehicles, should I be concerned that this is related and may cause a fire?

- Osage Beach, MO, USA

May 012013

Equinox 6-cyl

The power window control on the driver side no longer works, the power lock on that side quit working as well. Now I hear there is a recall of 2006 GM vehicles with the same issue, but not my car. Is this a coincidence or not enough complaints from Equinox owners" the risk that caused the recall was the potential for a fire. Do I need to worry that my car will catch fire"

- Galveston, TX, USA

Apr 102013

Equinox 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the vehicle started independently, without the key being in the ignition. The vehicle also powered off independently. The contact stated that the vehicle could only be started with the key in the ignition. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The failure mileage was 70,000. Updated 05/28/13

- Challis, ID, USA

Jul 142009

I own a 2006 Chevy Equinox. Purchased the car back in August 2009 and a few days after buying the vehicle the car wouldn't start. I would turn the key to turn the car on and it wouldn't completely turn over and it would "stick, " causing me to turn the car back to off. After attempting to start the car the first time, the second time would usually work. Now, it's getting to the point where the car won't turn over without pressing the gas, if I don't press the gas the engine won't start at all. I can turn the key on and off; 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 times but it refuses to start without the gas (I'm worried I'm going to flood the engine now). This happens randomly during anytime of day and during any weather conditions, sometimes it doesn't even happen for days/weeks then suddenly the problem comes back and its worse. This is getting ridiculous especially with a car with only 70,000 miles on it. No dealer will help me because the car will never act up for them. I really don't know what to do and I am running out of options. I don't want to be left stranded because GM won't help anyone with a problem a lot of people are having with the same year and car!

- Wyandotte, MI, USA