Print this page Notes: The 2006 Equinox is plagued by a heating problem, as in the heater only blows cold air.

The reported cause of this problem is a small door, known as the air temperature blend door, which allows air to flow past the heater core. This door has a plastic connecting shaft to an electric motor and the shaft is prone to breaking after a few years. The problem has a typical repair cost of over $800.

The 2006 Equinox also has a number of reported problems ranging from the key getting stuck in the ignition, to failing speed sensors, and trouble starting the engine. All in all, this car sounds like one worth avoiding.

2006 Chevrolet Equinox electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox:

2006 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Nov 232011

Equinox 6-cyl

2006 Equinox; air temp blend door not operating, no heat no defrost on SUV. This poses a issue during winter months. Causing issues visibility for driver. Have seen several forums that discuss many many Equinox SUV with same problem with VIN starting with 2cndl. Really needs a recall on this asap... over $1000 to repair $35 to $100 part. (note. I am entering complaint for a friend who works 2/3 jobs and does not have time to do this herself. I am the contact person).

- Rochester, NY, USA

Dec 012011

Equinox 6-cyl

Yesterday the heater stopped blowing hot air. After having the vehicle looked at it was determined that the blend door and the blend door actuator needed replaced. From researching the issue this is a major problem and needs to be taken care of by GM.

- Johnston, IA, USA

Nov 102011

Equinox 6-cyl

No heat coming in the SUV to defrost windows or to warm up the inside. Total repair will be $800 for a $30 part. Plastic plate that controls the air and heat is defective. Apparently the part after sometime get weak from hot and cold conditions. Only way to fix is to tear complete dash board out to reach blower assembly, replace vent door and reassemble the entire dash board.

- Allegany, NY, USA

Nov 032011

Equinox 6-cyl

Heat suddenly stopped working in truck. Many complaints have been filed by other owners, pertaining to the temp blend door being defective.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Nov 012011

Equinox 6-cyl

The air temperature blend door failed. This caused the loss of heat and the ability to defog the front windshield and is a definite safety concern due to the lack of visibility. Also this is a know issue by Chevy with thousands of failures reported on various websites across the internet.

- Erie, PA, USA

Nov 122011

Equinox 6-cyl

Heating problem in the vehicle. It has been diagnosed to the blend air damper (valve) being broken from the blend air actuator torquing it too far. I have found that this is an on going problem for GM and this needs to be addressed.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Nov 072011

Equinox 6-cyl

The defroster has gone out. The heater does not work. The engine block heater needs to be replaced.

- Upland, CA, USA

Nov 052011

Equinox 6-cyl

2010 November 7 heater keeps going on and off, weird times, while turning, sometimes while braking hard, also lost the light for the window switches and heater control 8 heater not working today 9 heater keeps going on and off, weird times, while turning, sometimes while breaking hard, also lost the light for the window switches and heater control 10 heater not working today 22 - mechanic fixed my blower motor; cause was a loose/burnt connection in the black connector (red/white wire), under the toe kick on the drivers side, 2011 July 18 twice ac fan shutoff while driving 19 ac fan shutoff again while driving 20 ac fan shutoff completely 24 - mechanic fixed ac fan, jumped wires (red/white wire, fan controller) November 5 looks like the reason my heater is not working, it's the fan door¯ not operating, mechanic is investigating more¦..

- Farmingdale, NJ, USA

Oct 032011

Equinox 6-cyl

When the weather started to get cooler I attemped to put the heat on in my 2006 Chevy Equinox and nothing but cold air came out! I went online and found out that this is a common problem with this make and model. This is a saftey concer because I also have no defrost. The lack of heat is caused by the air temperature blend door failing to operate. The blend door allows air to flow past the heater core. The air temperature door has a plastic arm which is connected to an electric motor. It seems the problem is with this plastic arm breaking and motor malfunction. GM dealers replace the plastic arm with a metal arm at a cost to the consumer of between $1100 and $1400 dollars. This is a manufactures part problem. GM should step up and make this problem a recall issue. Saftey is involved. The newer models have been modified for this same problem.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 122011

For a few months my key was having trouble turning in my ignition as well as my spare key. It finally stopped working all together. I had to get my car towed and had to have the housing and ignition replaced. My mechanic has informed me this is an ongoing problem with the Equinox models. My friend and I have the same model but different years and are realizing we are having the same issues. If this is such a problem for Chevy they need to place it on the recall list instead of consumers having to pay $450 for something they know is an existing problem.

- Pa, PA, USA

Mar 172007

Equinox 6-cyl

My 2006 Chevy Equinox has trouble starting. The problem used to be intermittent, but has become more regular over the years. I have taken it to three different dealers to diagnose and they say there is no problem or they were unable to duplicate the issue. When the problem occurs it will only start if you hold the gas pedal to the floor. Otherwise, it will just crank and then turn off. I have seen many complaints about this online and found that the 2005 Equinox seemingly has the same problem and was issued a recall. I work hard to pay the bills and need someone to acknowledge the problem that these vehicles sre having.

- Hagerstown , MD, USA

May 012011

Equinox 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox ls. Purchased from the dealership brand new in 2006. I've been having problems with the ignition getting stuck a lot. It progressively been getting worse so I did some research and found that I'm not alone. Having very similar problems as probably hundreds of people. The key won't turn and it takes about 5-10 minutes fussing with it before it luckily turns on. I haven't had to call for a tow yet or bring it into the dealer and fork out hundreds of dollars. I hope it doesn't die all together. I don't feel that I should pay for a defect such as this. Please recall the ignition in this vehicle.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 182011

Heat in 2006 Equinox Chevy quit due to heater blend door failure. Cost to fix was $944 + tax. This is obviously a design flaw, and should be corrected at GMC expense, not the consumer. Also caregard warranty services Inc. Didn't cover the repair even though the air and heating system is covered in their policy. Due to small print and a play on words they can claim that any part that is not specifically called out by name is not covered, even though the heating system is covered. Stay away from both Chevrolet and caregard warranty services Inc.

- Mt Juliet, TN, USA

Jan 072011

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving approximately 30 mph, the contact could not open the driver side window. The contact stated a week later that all the electronic functions on the front driver side door would not function. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated the wiring harness in the front driver side door needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 58,000.

- Decatur, IL, USA

Dec 242010

We have a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox that has continuously had an electrical short in the wiring harness that deactivates the gas pedal accelerator. When it happens you can only move the vehicle with the pedal floored at 1 mile per hour which is very dangerous when you are on a high speed highway with no other cars around as you can not move out of the way of high speed vehicles that may be approaching. We have had it into the dealer three times and it continues to happen again intermittently as to the point we feel it is unsafe to drive. We have filed a complaint with Chevy and they refuse to take any responsibility. We are afraid to take it on vacation as we could be stranded.

- Ellicottville, NY, USA

Nov 202010

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the heat stopped functioning. The contact's mechanic believed the problem was attributed to the heating coil which was behind the instrument panel and hard to reach and replace. The contact called the manufacturer who offered no assistance. The VIN was unavailable. The current and failure mileages were approximately 50,000.

- Hamilton, NJ, USA

Jan 012009

I have a 2006 Chevy Equinox that I bought brand new. I've had multiple problems with it. The first was issues with it not wanting to start. At that point it was still under warranty, and the dealership replaced the ignition. The problem has continued throughout the four years that I've had it, and now occurs almost every time I start my car. I've also had the heater blow cold air, and the dealer replaced blower door and actuator. I contacted GM, who agreed to pay half of the cost. That was in January of 2009. Since then, I've had multiple issues as well with the key getting "stuck" in the ignition. Usually after about 10 minutes of moving steering wheel back and forth, it will finally come out. This happened mostly this past summer when it was really hot outside. I've also heard clicking noises coming from the passenger side randomly when I turn my car right after my car has been parked and running for awhile. Another issue is revving up for no reason. Both times I was sitting at a stop light and then started to turn left and car revs up and seems to get stuck in gear then eventually kicks out. After reading the other reports, I am now scared that the next issue is going to be my car shutting down while I'm driving down the highway. I work in home health, therefore I am driving my car all day everyday. I also have a toddler and worry about his safety in my vehicle.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Nov 012010

Equinox 6-cyl

Over the past year my Chevy Equinox has been giving problems. I have had to have the ignition switch change out twice because when it is hot outside the ignition cylinder swells and the key can not be turned. The past three months there has been electrical problems where the traction control light comes on and the car just shuts off immediately and will not start again.

- North Miami, FL, USA

Aug 172010

8/17/10 while driving my 2006 Chevrolet Equinox approximately 40 miles per hour the car just shut off - no warning & all the recommended service has been done on the car at the Chevy dealer since I purchased brand new. Took car to Chevy dealer & they could not duplicate but thought it may be due to a dirty throttle body, so they cleaned it. 9/1/10 while driving down the highway at 65 miles per hour the car shuts off again and again on 9/3/10 so made another appointment with Chevy dealer & they said they were able to duplicate the issue & they replaced the engine switch. 9/10/10 problem occurs again & car is at the dealership. Chevy dealer has not been able to fix problem yet. This is a real concern to have your car shut off while simply driving down the road. It does restart but I have to sit and try several times.

- Mt Pleasant, SC, USA

Jul 042010

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the vehicle would switch from air conditioning to heat while he was driving. The problem was intermittent in the beginning but the failure progressed and became more frequent. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealership where the contact was informed that the strip flapper door on the heating coil was defective. The contact called the manufacturer who offered no assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The current and failure mileages were approximately 64,000.

- Tomah, WI, USA